Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
the rules to the seek and find game are as follows..

Mat 7:7

Ask, and it shall be given you;...
I wonder what happened with all the amputees that have asked for their limbs back. I wonder what happened to all the Africans that have died whilst asking for a cup of clean water or a crust of bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
jesus is an occult myth so it will never make sense.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:01 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I wonder what happened with all the amputees that have asked for their limbs back. I wonder what happened to all the Africans that have died whilst asking for a cup of clean water or a crust of bread.
Well...they did not make it. They suffer and/or die.
But not because some imaginary deity did not help them.
You see...those ancient writings use metaphorical and allegorical characters and stories to tell us about God...since God is The Universe, and all that comprises it (including us).
So, it isn't some Deity God that failed to help those poor children...it was other humans (like us) that hold an abundance beyond what they need, that could help (but don't) that causes them to suffer and die.
We buy jewlery, a third flatscreen, and go on vacations...while they lack the minimum to get by and survive . Some people are millionares...even billionares. They buy yachts, diamond rings, and million dollar paintings (just to look at)...while others starve to death because they don't have three 2 cent portions of rice per day.
Jesus said, "Love each other". Certainly, retaining an abundance while others lack to such a degree that they suffer, starve and die, is not demonstrative of love.
There is no imaginary Deity that is failing them...it is anyone that could help, but doesn't, that is failing them. Including me and you.
Any criticism you levy upon non-existent Deities for not helping...you should be directing toward yourself and all others that those stories represent and try to teach.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:11 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
My father was a double amputee, both legs below the knee. March 3, 1945, Alsace-Lorraine. He was a quietly religious man, but I doubt he ever once "asked for his limbs back". He was very logical and in fact became an engineer after the war. He asked the surgeons to try to save his knees because then he knew he'd be able to walk on prosthetic legs.

I have never heard any story of ANY amputee EVER asking for their limbs back even thinking that was a possibility, belief in a God or not, and I've known quite a few of them since Dad was active in the disabled veteran's organizations.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I'm just making a note that while some of you seem to find this "Why doesn't God heal amputees" thing a wildly hilarious thing to repeat, from where I sit it just sounds stupid.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-09-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
The bible says that Jesus was without "sin" It says essentially that humans are to emulate him and look up to him in addition to being the "world's savior" I ask you this...if Jesus was part god, then what made his "sinless" life so great then? If you have supernatural god like powers to resist this so called "sin" for the roughly 33 years he was supposed to have lived, why is this considered so great? Then he takes a "sleep" for 3 days or descends to hell or whatever and then goes back to heaven? What is so great about that as a sacrifice? The whole Jesus thing makes no sense to me at all.
Absolutely nothing. He is a fictitious character who was not born in December. Good question.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I get the point you're trying to make,...
Good. That was the idea.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well...they did not make it. They suffer and/or die.
But not because some imaginary deity did not help them.
You see...those ancient writings use metaphorical and allegorical characters and stories to tell us about God...since God is The Universe, and all that comprises it (including us).
So, it isn't some Deity God that failed to help those poor children...it was other humans (like us) that hold an abundance beyond what they need, that could help (but don't) that causes them to suffer and die.
We buy jewlery, a third flatscreen, and go on vacations...while they lack the minimum to get by and survive . Some people are millionares...even billionares. They buy yachts, diamond rings, and million dollar paintings (just to look at)...while others starve to death because they don't have three 2 cent portions of rice per day.
Jesus said, "Love each other". Certainly, retaining an abundance while others lack to such a degree that they suffer, starve and die, is not demonstrative of love.
There is no imaginary Deity that is failing them...it is anyone that could help, but doesn't, that is failing them. Including me and you.
Any criticism you levy upon non-existent Deities for not helping...you should be directing toward yourself and all others that those stories represent and try to teach.
One of your better efforts. Still crafty and crummy but one of your best efforts at crafty cunning. Yes, I agree - there is no point expecting a god to put things right. And the appeal to help these people is also valid.

But the answer to this is complex - not a simplistic as you try to make it. In fact Shirina put it brilliantly - give your money to the poor - they will have to give it back to you. There's also the parable about giving a man a fish or teaching to catch one. The real responsibility we have is not to bail out people who can't run their country properly, but teach them how they can.

God almighty. What did I just say? Maybe we should start with ourselves. WE need help first.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
One of your better efforts. Still crafty and crummy but one of your best efforts at crafty cunning. Yes, I agree - there is no point expecting a god to put things right. And the appeal to help these people is also valid.

But the answer to this is complex - not a simplistic as you try to make it. In fact Shirina put it brilliantly - give your money to the poor - they will have to give it back to you. There's also the parable about giving a man a fish or teaching to catch one. The real responsibility we have is not to bail out people who can't run their country properly, but teach them how they can.

God almighty. What did I just say? Maybe we should start with ourselves. WE need help first.
Fix yourself before you are able to fix the world...

Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My father was a double amputee, both legs below the knee. March 3, 1945, Alsace-Lorraine. He was a quietly religious man, but I doubt he ever once "asked for his limbs back". He was very logical and in fact became an engineer after the war. He asked the surgeons to try to save his knees because then he knew he'd be able to walk on prosthetic legs.

I have never heard any story of ANY amputee EVER asking for their limbs back even thinking that was a possibility, belief in a God or not, and I've known quite a few of them since Dad was active in the disabled veteran's organizations.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I'm just making a note that while some of you seem to find this "Why doesn't God heal amputees" thing a wildly hilarious thing to repeat, from where I sit it just sounds stupid.
and yet you tell others they need to "have a thicker skin" when posting on boards

Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and yet you tell others they need to "have a thicker skin" when posting on boards
She wasn't whining about her feelings being hurt. She said it sounds stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality