Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
She wasn't whining about her feelings being hurt. She said it sounds stupid.

Some small people think taking shots at their superiors makes them look bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 12:54 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My father was a double amputee, both legs below the knee. March 3, 1945, Alsace-Lorraine. He was a quietly religious man, but I doubt he ever once "asked for his limbs back". He was very logical and in fact became an engineer after the war. He asked the surgeons to try to save his knees because then he knew he'd be able to walk on prosthetic legs.

I have never heard any story of ANY amputee EVER asking for their limbs back even thinking that was a possibility, belief in a God or not, and I've known quite a few of them since Dad was active in the disabled veteran's organizations.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I'm just making a note that while some of you seem to find this "Why doesn't God heal amputees" thing a wildly hilarious thing to repeat, from where I sit it just sounds stupid.
My answer -- why does god let these things happen to begin with?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:10 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My answer -- why does god let these things happen to begin with?
That assumes a God who is a) a person, and b) one who is in control of "letting" or "not letting" "things happen". Those are not my beliefs, although I have personified God myself and still do at times.

But things like the war that maimed my father and what happened at my workplace 17 years ago Tuesday are not the results of the actions or inactions of God, but rather the actions and inactions of humanity.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
That assumes a God who is a) a person, and b) one who is in control of "letting" or "not letting" "things happen". Those are not my beliefs, although I have personified God myself and still do at times.

But things like the war that maimed my father and what happened at my workplace 17 years ago Tuesday are not the results of the absence of God, but rather the actions of humanity.
Although an atheist, I have always left the door ajar for the possibility of deistic god.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:17 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
But things like the war that maimed my father and what happened at my workplace 17 years ago Tuesday are not the results of the actions or inactions of God, but rather the actions and inactions of humanity.
What happened at you workplace 17 years ago was done in the name of God - the Abrahamic god.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:25 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
What happened at you workplace 17 years ago was done in the name of God - the Abrahamic god.
So what? It was still done by people. I am now employed by people who follow that same version of the Abrahamic god who would never kill people.

If a god wasn't their excuse, it would have been something else. Religion provides a conduit for human behavior, good or evil.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-10-2018 at 05:39 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Good. That was the idea.
That wasn't me Mr. Snarkmaster.
Though, I do get your point. It is usually wrong...but I do get it.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
She wasn't whining about her feelings being hurt. She said it sounds stupid.
Nothing is more stupid than 'Ask and you will receive...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That wasn't me Mr. Snarkmaster.
Though, I do get your point. It is usually wrong...but I do get it.
Huh? What? You're confused again. Go take your tablet.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I wonder what happened with all the amputees that have asked for their limbs back. I wonder what happened to all the Africans that have died whilst asking for a cup of clean water or a crust of bread.
and how many millions on millions lived because he was there and did heal, he did bring water from rocks even and he did bring bread..?
just because you think you know everything doesn't mean that you do know everything.
you don't know what you don't know. and you don't know God!
and yes it is usually done by people in those HUGE churches that get the endless mocking and tongue lashing in sites like this!
it is the days of awe .. all need to be in a place of repentance.. yom Kippur and before Tabernacles ...

, "Go throughout the city of Jerusalem ( city of peace) and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it."
it is good to look closely at ourselves before Yom Kippor and before Tabernacles . it is the days of awe.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 09-13-2018 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and how many millions on millions lived because he was there and did heal, he did bring water from rocks even and he did bring bread..?
So the bible stories claim...and we know how unreliable the bible is.

Quote:
just because you think you know everything doesn't mean that you do know everything.
you don't know what you don't know. and you don't know God!
I gave up childlike beliefs when grew out of being a child.

Quote:
"Go throughout the city of Jerusalem ( city of peace) and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it."
it is good to look closely at ourselves before Yom Kippor and before Tabernacles . it is the days of awe.
Complete babble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality