Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Best wishes to you with your move to another country, and may you find happiness and peace of mind in your new home.
I would be delighted if Shirina came here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I have. It disagrees with your claim.

Compare:

24 included the statement, "As death was only decreed upon the human being"

in 26, you claimed "God said that Adam would die on the day that he ate of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil"

The Hebrew makes it clear that the consequence was a decree of a death penalty, not an immediate death. Adam lived on for a while after that eating but he died.
So either your vision is correct and the death was on that day and the rest never happened, or the Hebrew is correct ("surely you shall die") and is confirmed by Adam's eventual death.
^ I think that's the way it's been generally understood.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
So ... one thing that has kept me from posting over the past six or seven months is that I've been busy preparing to emigrate back to England and leave this drain-circling nation behind me.
No, no my dear old thing. Don't go there. Remember! They have just voted to leave the EU. They have about as many brain cells as the average evangelical Christian...and that ain't a lot. Within a few years, Britain will be a third word country. Come to Spain instead. At least it's sunny!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Don't worry.

I get it. And I get *her* as well.

I understand the meaning of Christian compassion only TOO well.

I understand what the vaunted Christian moral compass REALLY means.

And they do, too.

Thanks to the most religious nation in the industrialized world, we have become a very Orwellian society where love means hate, tolerance means bigotry, diversity means racism, morality means apathy, community means tribalism, peace means war, liberty means oppression, freedom means bondage, and people like HER can wallow in their delusions until they draw their last breath and see nothing but darkness.

Because even if they ARE right and we are wrong -- that God really does exist, well, all of those people like you-know-who who have turned this nation into such a hateful little place will have to stand before their Creator-Judge and explain to him why they turned HIS religion into a goddamn joke.

I'll rest in the knowledge that, even if we atheists ARE wrong, the vast majority of American Christians will be dancing in the flames of Hell right next to me. Won't THAT be a sweet reunion?
She’s Jewish, BTW...

Old 09-18-2018, 03:00 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Adam died at 930 years old and probably went to hell , as God had no salvation for Him because He sinned ...... God sent Adam out of the garden lest he eat from the tree of life and live with sin of rebellion on his spirit , where the devil said `` you won`t die `` ........God did not have salvation until the covenant of the house of Isaac , were Abraham was saved through the promise of the Messiah to come

Old 09-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
adam died at 930 years old and probably went to hell , as god had no salvation for him because he sinned ...... God sent adam out of the garden lest he eat from the tree of life and live with sin of rebellion on his spirit , where the devil said `` you won`t die `` ........god did not have salvation until the covenant of the house of isaac , were abraham was saved through the promise of the messiah to come
😳....

Old 09-18-2018, 03:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I have. It disagrees with your claim.

Compare:

24 included the statement, "As death was only decreed upon the human being"

in 26, you claimed "God said that Adam would die on the day that he ate of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil"

The Hebrew makes it clear that the consequence was a decree of a death penalty, not an immediate death. Adam lived on for a while after that eating but he died. So either your vision is correct and the death was on that day and the rest never happened, or the Hebrew is correct ("surely you shall die") and is confirmed by Adam's eventual death.
I see. So you are saying that when the Hebrew says, "in the day that you eat of it, you will surely die” it REALLY means "in that day you will have a death sentence passed on you."

Right.

No, the Hebrew doesn't, apologists do.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I see. So you are saying that when the Hebrew says, "in the day that you eat of it, you will surely die” it REALLY means "in that day you will have a death sentence passed on you."

Right.

No, the Hebrew doesn't, apologists do.
Thank you Rabbi Nate...

Old 09-18-2018, 05:19 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Obviously, Satan told the truth because G-d agreed with him...

Berei**** - Genesis - Chapter 3

5 For God knows that on the day that you eat thereof, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like angels, knowing good and evil."

22 Now the Lord God said, "Behold man has become like one of us, having the ability of knowing good and evil, and now, lest he stretch forth his hand and take also from the Tree of Life and eat and live forever."

This is a spin off from another thread...
Satan tells truths mixed with lies. In this case, he told Adam that if he were to eat the forbidden fruit that he'd "be as gods, knowing good and evil" (the KJV says "gods" not "angels"). When they ate the fruit they did, in fact, take the first step towards becoming like God, in that they then had a knowledge of good and evil. In that one regard, they were "as gods." But he also told Eve that by eating the fruit, she would not die. That part was a lie.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Satan tells truths mixed with lies. In this case, he told Adam that if he were to eat the forbidden fruit that he'd "be as gods, knowing good and evil" (the KJV says "gods" not "angels"). When they ate the fruit they did, in fact, take the first step towards becoming like God, in that they then had a knowledge of good and evil. In that one regard, they were "as gods." But he also told Eve that by eating the fruit, she would not die. That part was a lie.
So, if they were already under sentence of death on the day they ate, why would there be concern that they might eat of the tree of life?

Seriously? What kind of hoops are apologists willing to attempt before they admit that the tale is not history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality