Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 01:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
What exactly do you mean by "higher intelligence?" Einstein? Newton? Or a conceptualized cosmic know-it-all?

I AM guilty of not reading everything that has been posted, I will admit.
You're in the Religion and Spirituality forum...what do you think the OP is referencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 02:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by "higher intelligence?" Einstein? Newton? Or a conceptualized cosmic know-it-all?

I AM guilty of not reading everything that has been posted, I will admit.

what it would mean is comparatively easy. I am not an anti-godder, I am just an atheist. All I do is address the claim and see how it fits the standard model and QM.

Take the volume of one human brain. That would mean the combined brains of all humans is higher intellect. take the knowledge passed down through history, the "higher intellect" of humans through time.

add to that the combined brains of all the animals. Again, we have even a higher intellect. Take all of life, processing all that information in a coherent way that produces 'alive" and predicts evolution and we are on to something.

then, a reasonable conclusion, based on what we do know is that this region of space, taken as a whole, is more complex than the human brain. If its more complex its processing more information. Again, QM and the standard model say that its a "higher intellect".

the question I have tired. Why would somebody consider "deny everything" the higher intellect in describing the events around us?

i didn't even toss in "spooky action at a distance', and knowing quantium computing is what the universe is doing right now. higher seems to be far more reasonable than the reverse claim. that doesn't mean a god, but it kind of renders deny everything as just flat childish.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:26 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what it would mean is comparatively easy. I am not an anti-godder, I am just an atheist. All I do is address the claim and see how it fits the standard model and QM.

Take the volume of one human brain. That would mean the combined brains of all humans is higher intellect. take the knowledge passed down through history, the "higher intellect" of humans through time.

add to that the combined brains of all the animals. Again, we have even a higher intellect. Take all of life, processing all that information in a coherent way that produces 'alive" and predicts evolution and we are on to something.

then, a reasonable conclusion, based on what we do know is that this region of space, taken as a whole, is more complex than the human brain. If its more complex its processing more information. Again, QM and the standard model say that its a "higher intellect".

the question I have tired. Why would somebody consider "deny everything" the higher intellect in describing the events around us?

i didn't even toss in "spooky action at a distance', and knowing quantium computing is what the universe is doing right now. higher seems to be far more reasonable than the reverse claim. that doesn't mean a god, but it kind of renders deny everything as just flat childish.
I am also an atheist, and not an "anti-godder" either. My quarrel is with the ongoing perpetuation of ignorance.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

then, a reasonable conclusion, based on what we do know is that this region of space, taken as a whole, is more complex than the human brain. If its more complex its processing more information.
I am working hard to understand your thesis here. Please help me understand....

Are you suggesting that the "volumes" can be added up? And that this demonstrates the existence of a higher intellect than any one of our brains on their own? If so, the problem I see with that notion is that the combined volume (or weight or mass) of individual brains doesn't tell us anything, anymore than than many rocks weigh more (or take up more space) than one rock. Nor are brains linked like batteries in an electrical circuit, so that the combined output is greater than the output of any individual (in real time).

Yes, it is true that the cumulative knowledge of those many brains is greater than that from any individual brain. But knowledge is inanimate (by which I mean, "sits there until used"...), just like those rocks. So the fact that many people create and/or hold more information (in the aggregate) than any one of us individually, doesn't tell us more than many rocks weigh more than one rock.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 10-28-2018 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 11:18 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
I am also an atheist, and not an "anti-godder" either. My quarrel is with the ongoing perpetuation of ignorance.
But your posts are anti religion. Which displays ignorance. And perpetuates ignorance. If you make no distinction between Buddhism and Jim Jones, between the Amish and Scientology, between the Reverend Martin Luther King calling for peace or an imam ordering a a journalist to be beheaded, or condoning the murder of a daughter who has been raped while the killer and the rapist both go free....then yes that is a gross display of ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the view that states "all religious beliefs are equally silly" and all religious beliefs are "absurd and foolish and show a lack of common sense" does not display maturity, wisdom, depth, or soundness in their thinking.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
But your posts are anti religion. Which displays ignorance. And perpetuates ignorance. If you make no dtinction between Buddhism and Jim Jones, between the Amish and Scientology, then that displays and perpetuates ignorance.
I don't distinguish been the varying forms of nonsense, this is true. Nonsense is nonsense.

What are some examples of nonsense? Here is a small random sample:

The story of stopping the rotation of the Earth at a command from Joshua; (Judaism and Christianity)

The story of the cleaving of the moon in two at a command from Muhammad; (Islam)

The story of Noah and family collecting a mating pair of every species of non aquatic animal from every part of the planet, then containing them in a very large boat and keeping every one of them alive for several months; (Judaism and Christianity)

The story of Jonah riding around in the belly of a large fish for several days; (Judaism and Christianity)

The story of Buddha sailing through the air emitting streams of water and flames of fire; (Buddhism)

The story in Matthew 27 of hordes of dead people coming up out of their graves and wandering the streets of Jerusalem; (Christianity)

The story of the corpse of Jesus returning to life and flying off up to heaven; (Christianity)

The story of Muhammad riding a flying beast named Al-Baraq up to heaven to visit God; (Islam)

The story that two of the sons of Elohim, Jesus and Satan, came to Earth from the planet Kolab to vie to become the ruling deity over humankind. (Mormonism-Christianity?)

The story that 75 million years ago Zenu, the ruler of the galactic confederacy, brought a kidnapped population to the planet Teegeeack (Earth) aboard space ships which resembled DC-8 aircraft. (Scientology)

When it comes to the nonsense that people choose to subscribe to with the utmost of devotion because of their lifetime of religious programming, these examples are just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 10-28-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 11:51 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
I don't distinguish been the varying forms of nonsense, this is true. This is true. Nonsense is nonsense.

What are some examples of nonsense? Here is a small random sample:
Something tells me you might be one of those people who prefers comic strips to literature. Who maybe in school also called poetry and Shakespeare silly nonsense. Someone perhaps whose eyes glaze over when it comes to allegory, metaphor, symbolism, allusion. Who gets the deer in the headlights look regarding exegesis, explication, imagery and hermeneutics.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-28-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Something tells me you might be one of those people who prefers comic strips to literature. Who maybe in school also called poetry and Shakespeare silly nonsense. Someone perhaps whose eyes glaze over when it comes to allegory, metaphor, symbolism, allusion. Who gets the deer in the headlights look regarding exegesis, explication, imagery and hermeneutics.
Is it your position that the story of Joshua fixing the sun in the sky for a day (Joshua 10:12-13), the story of Noah's great flood, the story of hordes of dead people coming up out of their graves and wandering the streets of Jerusalem (Matt. 27:52-53), and the story of the corpse of Jesus returning to life and flying away, are in fact nothing more than " allegory, metaphor, symbolism, and allusion?"

Where then, does that leave Zenu and stories of the planet Kolab?

Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Another soapbox thread with no interest in the OP.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Another soapbox thread with no interest in the OP.
Are you suggesting that internet forums such as this one are little more than soapboxes? I am shocked and appalled at the implication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality