Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Age = maturity is a false equivalency. How many ways and times does one have to state something is not applicable to them?
The majority of adults do not believe in flying reindeer. Believing in flying reindeer is something for children, and an adult who actually still believes in flying reindeer would be considered ridiculously immature. However, according to polls about 70% of the adult American population believe that the corpse of Jesus returned to life and flew away.

Do you believe that the corpse of Jesus returned to life and flew away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 06:19 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The majority of adults do not believe in flying reindeer. Believing in flying reindeer is something for children, and an adult who actually still believes in flying reindeer would be considered ridiculously immature. However, according to polls about 70% of the adult American population believe that the corpse of Jesus returned to life and flew away.

Do you believe that the corpse of Jesus returned to life and flew away?
Who cares? I don't care if you believe it or not. I'd just like to discuss the topic.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:12 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Who cares? I don't care if you believe it or not. I'd just like to discuss the topic.
The topic is our opinion of new age beliefs. How are we supposed to express our opinion of new age beliefs without some reference to what each of us believes in support of, or in criticism of, new age beliefs?

You failed to answer my question, btw.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The topic is our opinion of new age beliefs. How are we supposed to express our opinion of new age beliefs without some reference to what each of us believes in support of, or in criticism of, new age beliefs?

You failed to answer my question, btw.
It doesn't pertain to the topic and I'm not trying to groom you.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Apparently not.

Because discussing the topic means you listening to what the other person has to say...not just saying "Who cares? I don't care if you believe it or not". That is the antithesis of discussing the topic.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Apparently not.

Because discussing the topic means you listening to what the other person has to say...not just saying "Who cares? I don't care if you believe it or not". That is the antithesis of discussing the topic.
You have to be able to discuss the topic with posters who are actually interested in the topic. There's no need to get personal. I actually do not care personally either way what anyone believes.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
You have to be able to discuss the topic with posters who are actually interested in the topic. There's no need to get personal.

I actually do not care personally either way what anyone believes.
I think that is a clear and valid response, phetaroi. You?

Old 10-29-2018, 04:16 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I think that is a clear and valid response, phetaroi. You?
Not really.

We're talking about various aspects of religion.

What could be more personal?

But is that what gabfest means by not getting personal?: "How many times does one have post his/her thoughts on New Age thinking before one can grasp it? I mean you're not even believer in Higher Intelligence, and whew."

Old 10-29-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not really.

We're talking about various aspects of religion.

What could be more personal?
But is that what gabfest means by not getting personal?: "How many times does one have post his/her thoughts on New Age thinking before one can grasp it? I mean you're not even believer in Higher Intelligence, and whew."
It does not have to get personal...that's the purpose of dating sites.

No, I wondered how many times and ways does someone have to tell other adults something is not applicable/relevant to them.

You guys have a greater need for this thread than I do, so enjoy.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
So far my main and majority experiences with "new age" have been almost entirely attempts to use old religious language in ever more vague and dilute ways. This mainly as a "gateway drug" move where once they have you accepting the lingo in some way - they then start smuggling complete nonsense in under that word.

On this forum the most common example of this is the steadily more vague and dilute use of the word "god". Things that we have words for already like the universe or "all of everything" or "That thing - whatever it is - that is the explanation for all of everything" are simply redefined as - and called - "god".

Once that word has been smuggled in however - said "new ager" tends to then go on to sell the more traditional notions of god or smuggle them into the conversation when they think you won't notice. God suddenly goes back to being a conscious thinking being. Or something with a plan for you. Or something that judges you morally after death and condemns you to some hell (these days just being a refusal to allow you to commune in it's wonder).

So - at best - my experiences with things being called "new age" is that it is a brand new sales pitch for the same old product. And is often works. As a business move - it is/was not a bad one. It has reeled people in who otherwise might have been uninterested in the traditional direct nonsense that religions sell more openly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality