Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 07:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's funny when I first joined the forum, some of the members repeatedly posted how they just wanted to be left alone! absent of any religion! However, to accomplish this seemed to require them to log on to their computers daily and purposely go to the religious category to complain about being bothered about religion...so, it's not a simple desire to be left alone... they would like for others to abandon their belief system and adapt whatever their worldview entails, thus the insults.

I don't think it's a matter of getting others to abandon their belief systems. It's more a matter of not allowing a certain segment of believers dictate policy in a country with a lot of nukes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:09 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
If you actually believe whatever you are peddling/hanging a shingle is true, you are not a phony nor a faker.
Several things made me do a face-palm with this guy

First, while he professed to know everything, and he DID profess to know everything, he was living on the verge of bankruptcy. Guess he did not know really know about money, or did not care.

Second he was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict who had replaced his beer addiction with non-alcoholic beer (you know O'Douls?)...which he drank 5 to 6 cans impulsive every night. And I observed what I was trained to notice as impulsive behavior.

And third, was his statement as to why he would not to discuss philosophy, life, religion or anything with me...as he said "I already know everything and you know nothing so there is nothing you can teach me or tell me that I don't already know"

Of course my response was the same as for any religious nutcase I meet who has that attitude....I directed him to go engage in unlawful carnal knowledge with himself.

THAT shut him up

Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And, of course, all the evidence, the spiritual experiences people have had in all times and places -- all those are hallucinations. The brain creates the same kinds of elaborate hallucinations in millions of different individuals from different cultures and times.

It's nice that you have that all-purpose argument. You don't have to think or look at anything that conflicts with your materialism.
So therefore, you're endorsing Buddhism, Sikhism, Hindusim, and virtually every other religion in the world, since people in those religions also have spiritual experiences.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Isn't the point that they experience Not being left alone by religion and they are never going to be left alone until religion is pushed out of society into whatever little religious clubhouses they want to have.

The only way that is going to happen is to change public perception and those 'members' are doing their bit here.
It isn't as much as those spiffing vids and the TV shows that some atheists are doing, but we are not all Movers and Shakers.
I think you stated before that if nothing else the atheist can at least deny theist a 'springboard' for their beliefs...this sometimes may appear as trolling, but it's really denying the theist a springboard.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't think it's a matter of getting others to abandon their belief systems. It's more a matter of not allowing a certain segment of believers dictate policy in a country with a lot of nukes.
The Billy Graham types are long gone, the U.S.'s religion is money.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Several things made me do a face-palm with this guy

First, while he professed to know everything, and he DID profess to know everything, he was living on the verge of bankruptcy. Guess he did not know really know about money, or did not care.

Second he was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict who had replaced his beer addiction with non-alcoholic beer (you know O'Douls?)...which he drank 5 to 6 cans impulsive every night. And I observed what I was trained to notice as impulsive behavior.

And third, was his statement as to why he would not to discuss philosophy, life, religion or anything with me...as he said "I already know everything and you know nothing so there is nothing you can teach me or tell me that I don't already know"

Of course my response was the same as for any religious nutcase I meet who has that attitude....I directed him to go engage in unlawful carnal knowledge with himself.

THAT shut him up

Old 10-24-2018, 07:59 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
And, of course, all the evidence, the spiritual experiences people have had in all times and places -- all those are hallucinations. The brain creates the same kinds of elaborate hallucinations in millions of different individuals from different cultures and times.

It's nice that you have that all-purpose argument. You don't have to think or look at anything that conflicts with your materialism.
Sorry, I didn't realize that "evidence" was an "all-purpose argument." I viewed it more as a basic requirement for rational conclusions to be drawn.

"Spiritual experiences" that are experienced by a single individual, and experienced differently by every one who claims them do not constitute evidence. I don't know if they are hallucinations, wishful thinking, self-fulfilling prophecy, or alternate states. But if they are personal anecdotes with nothing to back them up, they do not constitute evidence. Any more than "My uncle Fred smoked every day and lived until he was 96"... is evidence that smoking must be good for you.

If that makes me a materialist (with all the negative connotations that seems to carry for you), I can live with it.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
People are still largely ignorant of the workings of the universe. Especially the materialists who think they understand the workings of the universe.
Knocks on a material desk. Check.

Hello conscious universe. Hello. Heeelllloooooo.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
It's funny when I first joined the forum, some of the members repeatedly posted how they just wanted to be left alone! absent of any religion! However, to accomplish this seemed to require them to log on to their computers daily and purposely go to the religious category to complain about being bothered about religion...so, it's not a simple desire to be left alone... they would like for others to abandon their belief system and adapt whatever their worldview entails, thus the insults.
I think you are missing something. If these people did not log on to their computers, they would still be bothered by religion. From 9/11 to religious bigotry to creationism to the attempt to get more religion into politics, etc.

And it is not just atheists who do the insulting.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
And by same kind you mean contradictory. That is why spiritual experiences are not credible evidence, because of something know to science as cognitive bias.

Quote:
And there is the straw man while you have to ignore everything because you have no evidence for your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality