Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 11:03 AM

50,131 posts, read 20,897,264 times

Advertisements

If religion made sense..

we wouldn't need any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I can't speak for any PARTICULAR atheist, .....
You can speak for me if you like. I sorta like your salty style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Your posts are no longer off the deep end. They are in the Marianas Trench. Holy Trieste, Batman!
That'll do very nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
except no, it is NOT apt for spirit to use a physical model for spirit,
because spirit is not physical.
therefore it does not follow a physical biological model.

it is you who is so attached to physicality
to the point where you assign physical properties and physical processes to spirit.

this is another example of your attachment to (using your words here) a reductionist materialist view.
We goddless can only repeat 'When you Believers can agree on what the ineffable Truth is, get back to us'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 11:07 AM

64,098 posts, read 40,400,105 times
Quote:
except no, it is NOT apt for spirit to use a physical model for spirit,
because spirit is not physical.
therefore it does not follow a physical biological model.
it is you who is so attached to physicality
to the point where you assign physical properties and physical processes to spirit.
this is another example of your attachment to (using your words here) a reductionist materialist view.
I use the only referents available for the PRINCIPLES of "spiritual gestation and development" since we only have physical examples of gestations and births. The actual processes are spiritual and not physical which is why their outcomes are not measurable by our current physical science. It is also why the spiritual-minded can understand and the carnal minded cannot comprehend them.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If religion made sense..
we wouldn't need any.
You can speak for me if you like. I sorta like your salty style.
Yes it is as devoid of content, substance, and as deprecating as some of your worthless contributions and purported appeals to science.
Quote:
That'll do very nicely.
QED!
Quote:
We goddless can only repeat 'When you Believers can agree on what the ineffable Truth is, get back to us'.
As beliefs, our truths are as valid as your beliefs, Arq, something you cannot comprehend about the limitations of the science you pretend to rely on but do not actually know enough about.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:52 AM

22,829 posts, read 19,433,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I use the only referents available for the PRINCIPLES of "spiritual gestation and development" since we only have physical examples of gestations and births. The actual processes are spiritual and not physical which is why their outcomes are not measurable by our current physical science. It is also why the spiritual-minded can understand and the carnal minded cannot comprehend them.
there is no spiritual gestation, no spiritual fetus, no spiritual insemination, no spiritual testicles.

because spirit always was and always will be.
individual humans grow and learn as they develop. yes.
but the individual physical human, is different from the nonphysical soul of the human which briefly resides in the physical body. you are conflating the two.

god is not a physical being that grows and learns and develops. that is what humans do. not god.
god is not physical. so does not follow a physical model yet you ascribe physicality to god.
god is not a human so does not follow a human model of gestation and birth yet you ascribe these to god.
you don't get that god is not physical.

if anyone is rooted in the physical and the carnal it is you, because you insist on attaching physical processes to God. carnal is "relating to physical, especially sexual, needs and activities." that is what you are ascribing to God.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-25-2021 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-25-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
there is no spiritual gestation, no spiritual fetus, no spiritual insemination, no spiritual testicles.
because spirit always was and always will be.
individual humans grow and learn as they develop. yes.
but the individual physical human, is different from the nonphysical soul of the human which briefly resides in the physical body. you are conflating the two.
god is not a physical being that grows and learns and develops. that is what humans do. not god.
god is not physical. so does not follow a physical model yet you ascribe physicality to god.
god is not a human so does not follow a human model of gestation and birth yet you ascribe these to god.
you don't get that god is not physical.
if anyone is rooted in the physical and the carnal it is you, because you insist on attaching physical processes to God. carnal is "relating to physical, especially sexual, needs and activities." that is what you are ascribing to God.
Your reincarnation rationale requires that you ignore the spiritual intent of the analogy and focus on its carnal origins. You need to believe you have pre-existed your current state and have another set of opportunities to advance, rather than accept that this is your very first and only shot at developing your spiritual "body" (character) and becoming a newborn Spirit. We disagree, but it is possible we are just not destined to follow the same spiritual path. I keep wondering about the validity and significance of the comment about our Father having "many mansions." It is a vast and diverse universe out there.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:26 PM

22,829 posts, read 19,433,341 times
Quote:
Your reincarnation rationale requires that you ignore the spiritual intent of the analogy and focus on its carnal origins. You need to believe you have pre-existed your current state and have another set of opportunities to advance, rather than accept that this is your very first and only shot at developing your spiritual "body" (character) and becoming a newborn Spirit. We disagree, but it is possible we are just not destined to follow the same spiritual path. I keep wondering about the validity and significance of the comment about our Father having "many mansions." It is a vast and diverse universe out there.
what i posted has nothing to do with reincarnation, what i posted is about God.
God is not physical. God is not human.

yet you continue to paste upon God physical attributes and physical biological processes, specifically gestation, birth, insemination, fetus.

that is the very definition of carnal, which is to be rooted in the physical corporeal body
carnal "relating to physical, especially sexual, needs and activities"

you say if god is not alive and growing and changing, then god is dead. you simply seem to not be able to see that god is not physical god is not human.

people change and grow and live and die.
god does not.
a person's perception and ideas about god may change, but god does not change.
humanity's beliefs and views of god may change, but god does not change.

god is not human.
i am not trying to say believe this or that way, i am just pointing out the inconsistency and contradiction within your own system of thought as you present it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-25-2021 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-25-2021, 12:53 PM

51,231 posts, read 24,704,719 times
Quote:

yet you continue to paste upon God physical attributes and physical biological processes, specifically gestation, birth, insemination, fetus.

that is the very definition of carnal, which is to be rooted in the physical corporeal body

you say if god is not alive and growing and changing, then god is dead. you simply seem to not be able to see that god is not physical god is not human.

people change and grow and live and die.
god does not.
a person's perception and ideas about god may change, but god does not change.
humanity's beliefs and views of god may change, but god does not change.

god is not human.
i am not trying to say believe this or that way, i am just pointing out the inconsistency and contradiction within your own system of thought as you present it.
I'm not arguing with your content here, but what I will point out is that all these attributes of god that you proclaim is your version of god, with no more evidence attached to it than Mystic's attributes of god. Just because you say something is so, does not make it so.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
<snip>
(You really can't KNOW any of these things about God that you assert, Tzaph . . . don't you see that?)
I am not certain if you are familiar with the philosophical practice of conceptualizing using non-literal illustrations of known processes (Birth of Flesh) to convey otherwise unknown processes (Birth of Spirit). You seem to want to ignore the need for spiritual life processes that are involved in the growth, development, and reproduction of Spirits. You prefer to assume Spirits simply pre-exist somehow and only recycle themselves into increasing numbers of physical vessels, a concept that begins to encounter numerical inconsistencies very quickly. It makes more sense to me to see them propagating through Birth as Spirit, as Jesus discussed with Nicodemus.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:43 PM

2,400 posts, read 789,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Religion makes no sense for a species that has the ability to exist perfectly fine without it.

It makes no sense as it's been a huge failure thus far all throughout history.

It makes no sense because there are so many flaws in all the current religions that don't add up to a spiritually enlightening path to follow.

All the Contradictions found in religions makes no sense.

An evil psychopathic murderous god makes no sense.

A book of horrors written in ancient times full of myths about the world we live in makes no sense in the 21st Century.

A religious book that tells others that there is only one way of developing spiritual growth - (their way), makes no sense.

Nope religion makes no sense for a species that is capable of developing inner peace and embarking upon their own path towards existing with a higher consciousness.
I've been beating this drum, and others, to no avail. Excellent presentation of the issue.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM

2,400 posts, read 789,196 times
Quote:
I am not certain if you are familiar with the philosophical practice of conceptualizing using non-literal illustrations of known processes (Birth of Flesh) to convey otherwise unknown processes (Birth of Spirit). You seem to want to ignore the need for spiritual life processes that are involved in the growth, development, and reproduction of Spirits. You prefer to assume Spirits simply pre-exist somehow and only recycle themselves into increasing numbers of physical vessels, a concept that begins to encounter numerical inconsistencies very quickly. It makes more sense to me to see them propagating through Birth as Spirit, as Jesus discussed with Nicodemus.
Give it up, bub, you're making NO SENSE, whatsoever, while pretending to be above the fray. Your utter nonsense on an hourly-basis. Are you a commission basis with the crap you proffer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality