Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah raf, "apologetics" is not evidence against or for anything. "apologetics" is used by low level atheist that can't really describe how the universe works past what they get from other atheist. To me anyway.
Apologetics is a word Christians use for defending the Christian religions by Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 07:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Apologetics is a word Christians use for defending the Christian religions by Christians.
that doesn't matter to me harry. "apologetics" means rationalizing through a belief. basically, any other use of the word is misleading.

Christian apologetics" mean christian's thinking their way through a belief system. No matter how you slice it, that's a good thing overall. I say its a good thing due to the nature of people that reason through a belief ("belief" just a word here. it can mean conclusion, hypothesis, or theory, or law) tend to hold beliefs that self correct themselves over time.

people using the word "apologetic" to minimize or disprove a claim in the context of ... "Oh, that's just apologetic" ... does not, in nay way, reason through the claim being made. Only people that don't know what they don't know use it in this context. or they are intentionally misleading people in the favor of "selling atheism to advance our anti-religious cause."

Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No, it is to argue a god can do the impossible when the argument requires this, and then to argue the same god has limited powers when a different argument requires limited powers.
no, not really harry. it can't be used in your definitions of what we are doing. You limit the discussions to a specific set of conditions and then say anything outside of them wrong. You have it easy.

Others, like myself, understand that some theist people are misundering the connections to their surroundings and we address what is going on in the system that leads them to their erroneous conclusion on omni-dude.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
that doesn't matter to me harry. "apologetics" means rationalizing through a belief. basically, any other use of the word is misleading.

Christian apologetics" mean christian's thinking their way through a belief system. No matter how you slice it, that's a good thing overall. I say its a good thing due to the nature of people that reason through a belief ("belief" just a word here. it can mean conclusion, hypothesis, or theory, or law) tend to hold beliefs that self correct themselves over time.
No, Christian apologetics means defending the faith, and has done so by Christians themselves for almost 2,000 years. It means ignoring evidence they do not like, or inventing evidence, something that has been going on longer than the use of the term itself.

From dead people writing books to none existent people removing bodies from a cross to pretending a literal reading actually means something else. They are not rational arguments, and they are not honest arguments.

Quote:
people using the word "apologetic" to minimize or disprove a claim in the context of ... "Oh, that's just apologetic" ... does not, in nay way, reason through the claim being made. Only people that don't know what they don't know use it in this context. or they are intentionally misleading people in the favor of "selling atheism to advance our anti-religious cause."
While I agree it could be used in that way, it is also a simple way to label all the many bad arguments Christians make. You can redefine the word if you want, but Rafius used the term in it's traditional sense.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
no, not really harry. it can't be used in your definitions of what we are doing.
Yes, really. Some Christians do this very thing.

Quote:
You limit the discussions to a specific set of conditions and then say anything outside of them wrong. You have it easy.
You should really try and follow what is being said instead of refuting arguments no one is making.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:

You should really try and follow what is being said instead of refuting arguments no one is making.
This might help Arach: Christian Apologetics

Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This might help Arach: Christian Apologetics
yeah, I get that trout.

christian apologetics. a line of reasoning based on the base christians claims. That line of logic is flawed when start at an all powerful thingie.

appologics might actually lead to a more mature version of religion.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:

yeah, like i said. you need a very limited set of conditions or your claims start to become less valid. so long as you stay within "no thing is controlling us" you are fine.

I wish I could the easy way out. But I actually have to try an explain the reasons we are seeing what we are seeing. And "they are wrong" just doesn't do it, well, outside of the 5th grade that is.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
No, Christian apologetics means defending the faith, and has done so by Christians themselves for almost 2,000 years. It means ignoring evidence they do not like, or inventing evidence, something that has been going on longer than the use of the term itself.

From dead people writing books to none existent people removing bodies from a cross to pretending a literal reading actually means something else. They are not rational arguments, and they are not honest arguments.

While I agree it could be used in that way, it is also a simple way to label all the many bad arguments Christians make. You can redefine the word if you want, but Rafius used the term in it's traditional sense.
then your statement is strictly limited to "christian apologetics". meaning, they must answer to deid, woke up, and flew away.

yeah, like i said ... yours is a very limited set of conditions.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
yeah raf, "apologetics" is not evidence against or for anything. "apologetics" is used by low level atheist that can't really describe how the universe works past what they get from other atheist. To me anyway.
Well it's certainly a handy word to throw out there when you're just wanting to dismiss someone's argument without a real refutation. Meanwhile the definition of the word is "reasoned arguments or writings in justification of something, typically a theory or religious doctrine" and so it could be used against them just as easily! After all, many of them are out to defend strong atheism and/or anti-theism, both of which (especially the latter) require a considerable amount of justification!

Quote:
what I take from vic, and please point out where I am wrong. I see him saying, once we make up stuff, like omni, we can defend it. Rather easily too because we don't have to use reality.
I don't see where you get the impression that I said "omni" is made up, or what you mean by that. But my argument is simply that "omnipotence" needs to be defined first, and then from there, so far, we see that it can work just fine in conjunction with the idea of an all-loving or omnibenevolent supreme being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality