Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 05:54 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times

Advertisements

So many straw men! "You're saying we can't criticize religious beliefs!" "You're saying we should obey you and leave the forums!" I thought OzzyRules was quite clear as to his point. And the irony is that, in response to his criticism of anti-theism, what's the suggestion? For him to shut up and go do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:09 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
First post on this thread, and I am an agnostic/Deist.

I am 99% against censorship (I only have a very few exceptions which I won't bore you with), and so I dislike it when some people try to prevent other people from expressing opinions, BUT I can certainly understand why religious people would like to keep some forums for believers who think pretty much as they do. I think it would be like a group of sweet old ladies enjoying a cozy chat and some tea and scones with some classical music playing softly in the background being "invaded" by punk rock music blasting at full volume from the house next door.

Now someone might say, with good reason, that those women have no right to tell their neighbors to keep it down (unless it was very early or very late in the day, that is), but I can certainly understand why the ladies would find it annoying, to say the least, and would want their neighbors to move!

P.S. On Edit: I am referring to those religious forums devoted to a specific religion, but I do think that general religious forums should be entirely open to everyone. However, I also very strongly dislike it when any kind of disrespect is shown to anyone because of what they believe (or don't believe) -- unless this belief or non-belief advocates actually physically harming or killing anyone.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-29-2019 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't. My point is that the attacks are boring and dull. But you are free to continue if it makes you happy.
...and you are free to not participate if you find it boring and dull.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So many straw men! "You're saying we can't criticize religious beliefs!" "You're saying we should obey you and leave the forums!" I thought OzzyRules was quite clear as to his point. And the irony is that, in response to his criticism of anti-theism, what's the suggestion? For him to shut up and go do something else.
So many strawmen! Yours being yet another. Critical discussion of religious beliefs is why we are here - with an agenda behind it, in many cases, I don't deny.

I'd like Ozzy to stay and engage in reasoned discussion, but that's what we are not getting. Instead he says he finds it boring. Nobody is forcing him to stay and be bored. In fact 'tired', and 'bored' are, I have this theory, weasel words by theist apologists that mean 'I am fed up with not winning the argument'. And the suggestion that we go and get a life and let them go back to Owning the board for Christianity like it was in the Good Old Days is always implicit. It's not going to happen. Not here, and I hope in time, not America.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First post on this thread, and I am an agnostic/Deist.

I am 99% against censorship (I only have a very few exceptions which I won't bore you with), and so I dislike it when some people try to prevent other people from expressing opinions, BUT I can certainly understand why religious people would like to keep some forums for believers who think pretty much as they do. I think it would be like a group of sweet old ladies enjoying a cozy chat and some tea and scones with some classical music playing softly in the background being "invaded" by punk rock music blasting at full volume from the house next door.

Now someone might say, with good reason, that those women have no right to tell their neighbors to keep it down (unless it was very early or very late in the day, that is), but I can certainly understand why the ladies would find it annoying, to say the least, and would want their neighbors to move!

P.S. On Edit: I am referring to those religious forums devoted to a specific religion, but I do think that general religious forums should be entirely open to everyone. However, I also very strongly dislike it when any kind of disrespect is shown to anyone because of what they believe (or don't believe) -- unless this belief or non-belief advocates actually physically harming or killing anyone.
I have some sympathy with that view. It's why I am not seething at the Christian forum efforts to see that atheists are not allowed to disturb their equilibrium.

I'm not quite sure how the analogy of the noisy neighbors works with the forums here. I see the reasoned discussion we goddless bastards do as more in line with Classical Music background and the neighbours rather polluting the air with the freakout arms in air 'gospelrockforJesus . But Christianity Forum doesn't bother me at all. I look in at their posturing and mouthing and Scripturemen destroying the opposition with cherry -picked biblequotes in place of an argument, shudder and close the door quietly.

This here R/S is for all. All are welcome. We hellbound satanspawn just happen to dominate because we have the better arguments.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
I don't. My point is that the attacks are boring and dull. But you are free to continue if it makes you happy.
They don't bore you.

They upset you. You can't handle them and, lacking a cogent response, are reduced to serial exorcised vituperation about them. Because that's what 'bored' people do? Uh huh. Right. Sure.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why do you think religious beliefs should be immune from criticism?
Actually, I think that's simple. The people who are most afraid of criticism of any concept are always those who know there are not good answers on their side.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, the attack is against all religion in general. They denied it again and again, but that's all they do.
First of all, as usual, you can't lump us ("they") all together...even though that's your common trick. Yes, there are atheists who are against all religion in general. There are others of us who simply say that religion needs to control itself.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Boring and dull...and yet you voluntarily come to a place rife with such discussion.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Yes, the attack is against all religion in general. They denied it again and again, but that's all they do.
That is because you are using the wrong verb. But if you think pointing out uncomfortable facts is an attack, then you are blaming us instead of those uncomfortable facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality