Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't. My point is that the attacks are boring and dull. But you are free to continue if it makes you happy.
We continue because things like this are still going on.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47040847
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
They have certainly skipped a step, IMO. First and foremost should be a decent case against what you're attacking, and I don't think they ever managed to construct one.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
For anti-theism, no. There have been many attempts to show that theism is either false or harmful in and of itself, but none have been successful. This is why the strongest weapon at the anti-theist's disposal is still empty rhetoric (e.g., the emotional problem of evil).

Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
So many straw men! "You're saying we can't criticize religious beliefs!" "You're saying we should obey you and leave the forums!" I thought OzzyRules was quite clear as to his point. And the irony is that, in response to his criticism of anti-theism, what's the suggestion? For him to shut up and go do something else.
You are obviously unaware of Ozzy's posting history.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
There's no way that Vic can know of the long posting history of Ozzy and ourselves, and he has been a most useful poster. I appreciate him. And yet that does not preclude responding to finger -pointing about atheists, their motives, behaviour and what they should be doing rather than posting here. And responding critically if misrepresentations are being made about us.

I don't find the gripes about behaviour boring and dull, but it is actually pointless because we are not going to be intimidated into shutting up and I would much rather do some practical debate and discussion. But, soner or later, when the Theist side start running out of arguments, they revert to finger -pointing. we are very used to this.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
yes but I see them all as they are all religious.. religiously anti-religious... ruled by their feelings and mostly not by Jesus Christ or the wWord.

they are doing "religion" by braille and afraid to turn the lights on...
rev 3... Laodicea
we all been there done that..
and sure they might grow out of it someday!

Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 AM

we will have to roll with how you and Mr 5150 see us. We have explained many times why we are here and why the subject is relevant (indeed urgently vital) for we atheists. But you simply seem to refuse to listen. So we shall just have to keep on rolling with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcR-T6s_aK4

Yes...you people are Gollum. Obsessed, malicious, untrustworthy and without integrity if it gets between you and your obsessions. But oddly sympathetic and likeable.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't. My point is that the attacks are boring and dull. But you are free to continue if it makes you happy.
Attacking all religion doesn't "make us (atheists) happy".

Most of us don't care what you believe. What we care about is when YOUR belief are imposed on any other segment of society. Your belief fostered the "morality" of slavery, your belief allowed and allows for the subjugation of women, your belief discriminates against homosexuals, your belief kept "blue laws" in place for years, your belief preaches killing non-believer and I could go on and on.

Some of your belief is Christian, some Muslim, some Jewish, and some Hindu. It doesn't matter what your belief is, the problem is when you try and impose it on others.

So, keep your religion in your head, in your place of worship and in your home. But don't be an abusive parent and indoctrinate your child in your belief. Let them become adults and make their own choice. If your belief has any truth to it, your child will follow it

Old 01-29-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Attacking all religion doesn't "make us (atheists) happy".

Most of us don't care what you believe. What we care about is when YOUR belief are imposed on any other segment of society. Your belief fostered the "morality" of slavery, your belief allowed and allows for the subjugation of women, your belief discriminates against homosexuals, your belief kept "blue laws" in place for years, your belief preaches killing non-believer and I could go on and on.

Some of your belief is Christian, some Muslim, some Jewish, and some Hindu. It doesn't matter what your belief is, the problem is when you try and impose it on others.

So, keep your religion in your head, in your place of worship and in your home. But don't be an abusive parent and indoctrinate your child in your belief. Let them become adults and make their own choice. If your belief has any truth to it, your child will follow it
It is a view that we are used to (and Projection, again suggests itself) to suppose that we get some sort of pleasure out of attacking religion. After years of polemics, I confess that filletting a theist apologetic and leaving them whimpering "I won" in the snow does make me feel it was an hour well spent

Old 01-29-2019, 02:32 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Didn't we discover Ozzy is only 14 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality