Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You don't have to point out what I already know. And yes, everyone uses cheap attacks like that.
But while we are on the topic I am a moderate in a mixed economy. And I think that probably describes most people anyway.

Coincidences happen. But not like that. But even if we were to both dismiss it, the end result is that it draws attention to the Jesus movement of the 70s, and Calvary Church movement which has remained strong to this day. Giving people a positive community which is a necessary part of living in a crazy large empire (much like 1st century Rome). Not to mention how our empire's existence gives life-support to smaller countries like England.
That kind of stuff happens to me too Ozzie. It doesn't happen now as much because I read the skeptic explanation* and that made sense so my mind stopped hitting on these coincidences as much. I agree the value isn't in what it being connected but how you personally interpret it. I think it's a great way to understand yourself and guide yourself to the next thing, kind of think a bridge between your awareness and what lies below. Could it be a connection to an outside force or entity? That's a possibility I suppose. Either way I find it very useful.

A person could have extracted multiple meanings from the data.

Quote:
Giving people a positive community which is a necessary part of living in a crazy large empire
I think that is your way of showing you that's what you need in your life right now.

* synchronicity - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Yes, it is one of Many valid religions. But this this coincidence is proof that God was putting his "Stamp of Approval" on this one, as he is doing for many churches all the time. It is but one of many accredited and cosmically certified ones, imperfect as they all are for a gloriously imperfect God trying to tell us that imperfection is a part of the Glory of the universe.
An example of the kind of 'proof' of god we unbelievers are supposed to accept as undeniably influential

Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I hate to keep on about it, but this whole thing comes down to Faith in a Divine Plan. Without that. Ozzy's coincidences are Evidence, Vic's possibilities without evidence are the better explanation and indeed all the reversal of burden of proof boils down to GodFaith. And that's without even looking at how closely this 'god' seems to resemble the views, prejudices, likes and dislikes of the person who believes in it and derives all their justification and validation from believing in the truth that this God imparts to them. Like monkees videos proves God.
This post is just a personal opinion and doesn't describe much past your personal bias. what it actually comes down to is describing the patterns we see to the best of our ability.

Ozzy used "pattern" as evidence and you used "pasterns come down to god faith." although I don't share ozzy's conclusion, I also don't form conclusions based on "anti-religion".

so in one hand I see "patterns mean god" and on the other I see "patterns mean they have god faith".

Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
An example of the kind of 'proof' of god we unbelievers are supposed to accept as undeniably influential
now this makes sense to me.

although he is using it as proof, it doesn't mean it is proof of god intervening.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
The "fear-tactics" that all of us here hate even has God's stamp of approval. He has to cover his eyes in shame whenever people use it, but it is really the only thing that works for a large number of people. Everyone (without exception) uses childish fear tactics anyway. It works for children because children can't understand all the implications. But the children grow up and begin to understand it as a symbolic thing, and not the cartoon version which is all they could understand at an age when they only were able to read comic books.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

although he is using it as proof, it doesn't mean it is proof of god intervening.
When I was having it happen a lot to me it felt like a game and clues were embedded in the environment. I was having trouble figuring out if I was in control of what I was focusing on or I was being lead along by an outside force. It felt like I was in some sort of strange version of reality where the clues popped out at me and it was almost as if the air was thinner and I could see more clearly. Then again, I do tend to be a bit superstitious as well a lover of woo.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:47 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
When I was having it happen a lot to me it felt like a game and clues were embedded in the environment. I was having trouble figuring out if I was in control of what I was focusing on or I was being lead along by an outside force. It felt like I was in some sort of strange version of reality where the clues popped out at me and it was almost as if the air was thinner and I could see more clearly. Then again, I do tend to be a bit superstitious as well a lover of woo.
It can also lead us away from a church, if that is where our path is going at the time.

Jesus was led by the spirit into the wilderness (which is not a literal story). And of course even this can have different meanings. A spiritual wilderness can happen right while you are in the midst of a community.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
It can also lead us away from a church, if that is where our path is going at the time.

Jesus was led by the spirit into the wilderness (which is not a literal story). And of course even this can have different meanings. A spiritual wilderness can happen right while you are in the midst of a community.
That's pretty much what happened with me. It lead me away from the damage the group had caused me and toward healing. I'm really glad I didn't know the skeptic explanation until much later because that would have made sense and stopped the process right there. I needed to be healed the same way I was damaged. I actually used the Bible to undo the damage someone else using the Bible had done. If I thought it was me telling me I was accepted and loved I wouldn't have believed me and I'd still be among the wounded. I needed it to come from somewhere greater than me.

That's not to say I think anyone who disagrees with my conclusion about it being a human ability to pull what we need to heal is wrong. It's just my opinion.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
in fact you are completely backwards. you responses show that you far more bias than I am. In fact, you so much more bias that you have to change my stances so that people can't see your true intentions.

You stance of basing your choices on a statement of belief about god is so much less valid than stance of basing choices on science that you need to falsify my intent.

keep in mind folks ... who is more bias? people that make choices based on a statement of belief about god? Or people that base claims on observations?
A post that says nothing but denial and projected bias - I don't even need to post anything more. You ain't worth the effort. And you can save yourself the trouble of a 'same to you' post because it doesn't matter and i don't care.

Quote:
This post is just a personal opinion and doesn't describe much past your personal bias. what it actually comes down to is describing the patterns we see to the best of our ability.

Ozzy used "pattern" as evidence and you used "pasterns come down to god faith." although I don't share ozzy's conclusion, I also don't form conclusions based on "anti-religion".

so in one hand I see "patterns mean god" and on the other I see "patterns mean they have god faith".
Again a time - waster of a post which only shows your broken - record sniping at..the kind of atheists you disapprove of. I still don't care, even when Mystic gives you a thumbs up and you and Ozzy huddle together for mutual support. You do them no good.

Quote:

Of course it makes sense to you if you don't have a blinding bias against the person posting it.

Quote:
Yes, it is one of Many valid religions. But this this coincidence is proof that God was putting his "Stamp of Approval" on this one, as he is doing for many churches all the time. It is but one of many accredited and cosmically certified ones, imperfect as they all are for a gloriously imperfect God trying to tell us that imperfection is a part of the Glory of the universe.
But if He puts His stamp of approval on all the bloody religions as well as (it seems) lives that are non -religious, where does that leave you other than with a faith claim based on nothing valid?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-24-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 09:10 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Hatred of atheists in general?

You know that's not true. Stop it. Even now you are misrepresenting what is going on.
I think "hatred" is the wrong word. I think "disdain" is more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality