Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 08:11 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because their mission is to convert you to their religion. Do atheists also have the same mission then? That explains a lot.
As has been stated many, many times, nobody has ever made a claim that atheists are knocking on doors to try to convert people. AFAIK, atheists don't have a mission. If they do, I'm sure one of them will tell us about it.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:24 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Because their mission is to convert you to their religion. Do atheists also have the same mission then? That explains a lot.
I've never had an atheist knock on my door, or approach me in a park, or on a street, or in a parking lot, or in front of a convenience store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:27 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Yes. And out of SCOTUS decisions that are coming down the pike. If what one wants is to influence hearts and minds would it be fruitful to post here or in political forums?
Just another 'atheists be quiet' post. Why would people NOT post about religious political positions on a religious forum when it is some of the religious that are trying to influence politics?

You boast about the religious making changes, why do you have a problem when atheists doing the same?

Quote:
Yes. And that goal is better served in forums that focus on politics, debates, current events, history, and any number of other forums. Thus the question why here? The OP has a valid point. I also understand Atheists, being a minority, need a safe place to discuss atheism and all the ways it functions in their lives. How could discussing it in a belief forum help?
Because we are not discussing atheism, we are responding to the claims of the religious. Yet you (plural) attack us because you (plural) post bad arguments here, and we respond here.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:15 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
As has been stated many, many times, nobody has ever made a claim that atheists are knocking on doors to try to convert people. AFAIK, atheists don't have a mission. If they do, I'm sure one of them will tell us about it.
Interweb sites (like this one) are the new doors to knock on...and Atheists have really taken to it.
They do tell about their mission...to declare how harmful and "reprehensible" Religion is...and deter people from it.
How can you be on this forum and claim you've never seen that?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/17270692-post105.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/32549093-post234.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63148614-post221.html

Many more. But, then...you knew that.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:18 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
How do you feel joy with that huge list of grievances you are carrying around? It a message board for crying out loud. You can't get over it here then how do you function in real time? Why don't you let Jesus carry that burden for you.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:59 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I enjoy the word interplay and banter, and occasional insight. But you definitely can't - or shouldn't get - emotional here.

Freedom of thought, freedom of expression... to be celebrated.

Cheerleading and popularity contests don't apply here.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:10 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Motives are not always explicitly stated but reasonable parallels can be drawn. No claim needs to be made, when actions speak for itself. "Knocking on doors" can take the shape of posting on the internet where religious people gather. Obervation of repeated behaviors can be evidence.

To the OP's question as to why atheists post

Quote:
Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one.
Old Gringo replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Why do Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Baptists, etc come knocking on my door, uninvited, wanting to "share their faith" with me?

I always politely decline.

Sounds like tit for tat. Which means posting here amounts to the same as Christian evangelism, because Christian sects are named.
Can you give a reason why that conclusion cannot be drawn, other than that you think it is wrong because "nobody has claimed it" ? That is not an objective one. Besides many posters have questioned the same thing, even some who are atheist/agnostic.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:12 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I enjoy the word interplay and banter, and occasional insight. But you definitely can't - or shouldn't get - emotional here.

Freedom of thought, freedom of expression... to be celebrated.

Cheerleading and popularity contests don't apply here.

I agree on all counts.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:20 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Motives are not always explicitly stated but reasonable parallels can be drawn. No claim needs to be made, when actions speak for itself. "Knocking on doors" can take the shape of posting on the internet where religious people gather. Obervation of repeated behaviors can be evidence.

Old Gringo replied

Sounds like tit for tat. Which means posting here amounts to the same as Christian evangelism, because Christian sects are named.
Can you give a reason why that conclusion cannot be drawn, other than that you think it is wrong because "nobody has claimed it" ? That is not an objective one. Besides many posters have questioned the same thing, even some who are atheist/agnostic.
Good point.
They are proselytizing the Atheist Religion and the praise of the Great & Exalted **NOGODAH**!!
Can we get a "AMEN"?!!

Old 07-08-2022, 10:22 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

Old Gringo replied

No, "knocking on doors" means "knocking on doors". "Posting on the internet" means "posting on the internet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality