Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Some Atheist guy or girl on this forum (don’t remember the username) once said something like “If they stop ringing my door bell every Sunday morning, I will leave you guys alone”
If the girl scouts were out to change politics for their benefit and to my personal freedom and money's detriment in mass faithful ignorance, I'd have some research to do and a few words to say.

In fact, even if it was the golfing clubs trying to live their lives entirely around golfing giving them immortality and supernatural allegiance in order to change politics without knocking at my door, I'd also have something to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
No, it's more that there isn't any Divine Judgment to escape. Divine Judgment is a concept invented by people who had noticed that life is not always fair.
Indeed, (directing at 2ndpillar in particular) if it was actually Divine Judgement it would have judged that there shouldn't be any evil in the first place. That is how the "true" and "false" religions expect the end, right? So what would have been wrong about starting at the good and staying at the good instead of starting at fallible and hoping to get to good at some variable future point?
Quote:

Well, certainly atheists do not fear something which does not exist. However, there is more to fear than the local sheriff. Cancer comes to mind. Also, the far right legislating their beliefs. The liberal left do not want "mayhem"; we want freedom and equality for everyone, including yourself.
I've heard the conservatives and far-right saying they want to bring "mayhem" themselves so that they get into power or as punishment for not getting their way.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-14-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Some Atheist guy or girl on this forum (don’t remember the username) once said something like “If they stop ringing my door bell every Sunday morning, I will leave you guys alone”
Essentially, that's correct. It is a microcosm of the pushiness of Christianity. In every way, they are keeping up the preaching and trying to influence society. If that is stopped, atheism will have nothing to oppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would have said that they fabricated information just to make jokes. Many of them have a good sense of humor. But on the other hand they belittle things that have value to many people.
We argue that they are (on evidence and reason) false. That they have value to people is irrelevant. The Flat Earth and Moon -landing denial is of 'value' to those who believe it. Are we supposed not to try to contest their proclaiming of their beliefs because it belittles them? You are simply playing the "Respect" card which is the thin end of the wedge of Blasphemy law. Which would suit you no more than it suits us.
As you usual, you don't see where your real interests lie.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-14-2018 at 09:50 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Who rings your doorbell? Your statement is ridiculous. Nobody gets their doorbell rung on Sunday. We are in church!
Jehovah's Witnesses (Romans 14:5) don't require worship to be on the pagan's Sunday

And Seventh Day Adventists believe the traditional custom should keep the Sabbath on Friday Evening to Saturday Evening, as they assume it was since ancient Jewish times.

Mormons (although denying Galatians 1:8) believe that Acts 20:7 directs them [and I assume all Christians] to change the Sabbath in order to follow Pauls example of Preaching all of Sunday until midnight.

Although Paul preached on Sunday, he kept the Sabbath on the Jewish calendar, as Jesus should have done, no?

In my "nondenominational evangelical fundamentals" church, we "fished for fellows/neighbors" on Saturday and after church [which I now understand as the petting and pressured voluntary fleecing] on Sunday.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking [Mr5150]. Typical atheist fabrication.
GoCardinals (the one who made the original statement in question) is a Muslim.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-14-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This is funny that someone would dig back four years through 1000s of posts to make a point. You need to move out of your parents basement.
Funny? Pointing out hypocrisy is funny to you!?

It's not like things age out of hypocrisy. I am thankful for the research, although it is wasted on those who disregard what is tested good and true because of self-serving bias.

Or are you trying to say that you have changed your tone in these recent times?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I would have said that they fabricated information just to make jokes. Many of them have a good sense of humor. But on the other hand they belittle things that have value to many people.
I belittle gold and illicit drugs all of the time (although the topics don't come up often in this forum).

And even in ignorance and hate, some people find value.

Or have you not asked around, the hateful often consider lack of hate to be naive and detrimental.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-14-2018 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 10:19 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

GoCardinals (the one who made the original statement in question) is a Muslim.
Yep, actually once these two guys in white shirts, black ties and Khaki pants knocked at my door. Since it was the first time ever, it took me a couple of seconds to figure out the situation.
After a short hello hi, I politely told them that I am a Muslim.

They had somewhat confused and undeceive smirk on their faces and they decided to give up before they could even start. We had a quick and pleasant goodbye.
Never saw them again.

Perhaps Atheists who are bothered by JW at their doors can use this tactic and pretend to be a Muslim for a couple of seconds and take care of the issue for good?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
I am a former fundamentalist-turned-preterist-turned universalist-turned-deist-turned agnostic deist. All this was made possible by reading tons of literature outside this forum and writing hundreds of posts here that helped to clarify my thoughts and arrive at my present beliefs by having discussions with others here. The most important thing I took away from this forum was someone challenging me in my fundamentalist days back in 2010 or so to study the lack of anything historical about Jesus, which I took up as a skeptic of his claim and then to my shock and horror came to realize s/he was absolutely correct: Jesus historically is about as substantial as cotton candy in a pitcher of hot water.

I've spent a lot of time here trying to convince newbies not to make the mistakes I made: biggest one, believing the minister in the pulpit most of whom will lie till they're blue to get you to do two things--believe Jesus died for your sins (God knows why they are so obsessed with this) and believe he wants you to donate to their church BIG TIME.

Fair warning.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Many Christians don't agree with what John Allen Chau did. His heart was in the right place, ...
Well it was for the arrow at least.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Typical dodging. I can't recall one time where an atheist answered my questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
I accept your challenge. Ask away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8
As do I.
Me too. That's three of us that have called your bluff Jeff. Ready when you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality