Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times

Advertisements

I know atheists are presumed - by and large - to be concrete thinkers but does that necessarily mean they can't be spiritual?

I suppose it depends on definition and perception. But to me, being spiritual is being capable of wonder and awe. I don't see how that precludes atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 05:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I know atheists are presumed - by and large - to be concrete thinkers but does that necessarily mean they can't be spiritual?

I suppose it depends on definition and perception. But to me, being spiritual is being capable of wonder and awe. I don't see how that precludes atheists.
that's right trout. also, we don't have to follow what some theist/atheist tell us we have to be or we "are not true atheist". that's just hog wash.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:06 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

It doesn't, by that definition.

I used the term above to mean those who have a sense of something in excess of what is definable or (potentially) provable in the physical realm.

A sense of awe and wonder, in, say, nature and the universe seems to be prevalent in atheists as far as I can tell.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:57 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why does anyone post on any forum? Obviously, because they want to.

What is the motivation of skeptics and atheists? Well, we don't share a hive mind, so you would have to ask this question of individuals. You should expect differing answers.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that religion has no relevance to skeptics and atheists? We live in a country where a very vocal minority are attempting to legislate their religious beliefs and force them on to everyone else. I consider that quite relevant. I grew up in a religious home, have many relatives and friends who are religious. Religious beliefs impact those relationships, to varying degrees. How could that be not relevant?

Exactly!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Again Petunia, you are talking to a liberal Christian, therefore to my best guestimation: "God is mysteriously more caring than humans are and there is given freedom in humans to err without God meddling in human/worldly affairs of books and Bibliolatries."

A conservative Christian would say: "There is nothing wrong in my literal interpretation of the version I happen to hold in high esteem. God maintains his word perfect and true, seed to plate! It is the fault of others that they don't interpret it or view my particular version/translation/edition as I do."
I would agree.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to what people say on this thread? I have a life.
If you ask a questions, then naturally I think you want answers (except for the dishonest).

Quote:
I asked a simple question to make people think.
We do not need you to make us think, especially as we have heard your stupid theory put forward by others.

And if that really was your goal, why did you not say so? Then we could have simply not bothered answering.

Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to questions when the person asking is not interested in the answers?

Quote:
How does my OP attack atheism?
It implies we are not sure of our position. Ironically it also implies the religious also have this problem.

Quote:
Beyond that I don’t understand why people who claim to not be religious post on a religious forum.
Because you do not read the answers to the question you asked.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
This is a common tactic/reliance of the sectarian and biased. Why blame Mr5150 for being common in this regard... I've met some non-religious people that handle their lives like the O.P. is currently handling this thread then again, why not blame them? Hypocrisy and "sinfulness" is very common as well, the religious are happy to spread blame even in biased proportion or false equivalence when convenient, so please carry on with fair assessments.
I blame Mr5150 for something others also do because he was the one caught doing it.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Then we are feeding the troll at this point (when addressing the O.P.).
But others who may have thought Mr5150 may have had a point get to see he does not.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
And yet here we are at post 166. Could it be that I sparked a discussion.
Imagine that! Am I useless or what!
Yes, 166 pages, mostly pointing out why you are wrong. Imagine that!

Quote:
I still think it’s stupid for the non spiritual to post on this forum. They have nothing positive to contribute
Then stop thinking. You do not appear to be very good at it.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should read post#1. It makes no sense to me why nonspiritual post in a spiritual forum. They have nothing to contribute
Maybe you should read after post #1, where we have contributed.

In fact the only person I see who has not contributed anything is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality