Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 01:49 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And yet here we are at post 166. Could it be that I sparked a discussion.
Imagine that! Am I useless or what!

I still think it’s stupid for the non spiritual to post on this forum. They have nothing positive to contribute
I disagree.

I've seen Christians (not necessarily on this thread, but on this forum) sometimes state that they don't believe atheists really don't believe in any sort of deity or spiritual aspect but rather that the atheists are denying something everyone knows innately, or that they have some sort of anger at the God they claim to not believe exists, or in some other way are something other than what atheists claim they are.

When I was younger, I thought that, too, but with experience and maturity and knowing more atheists and people who seem to get by without spirituality in real life, I know it's not true. There are people who honestly just do not accept anything for which there is no hard evidence to be shown. It's not a fault or a lack of character.

Non-spiritual people are our family, friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens, just as are people of other spiritual paths than the ones each of us follow. It's not stupid for them to post here. It's always valuable to try to come to understand people who think and live differently from us, and inevitably we will find things we have in common that is useful to everyone. For example, atheists have often been on the forefront of maintaining a strong separation of church and government. Not maintaining that separation damages both entities. Religious people of good sense and conscience and atheists can join forces in preventing the extremists who would have a government become a theocracy from taking hold.

As I've stated here from time to time, I have gone through periods in my life where I "decided" to be an atheist only to find that I really couldn't live without acknowledging my spiritual side. By the same token, an atheist can't "decide" to believe in something they simply cannot be believe in. I accept that.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you can't dedicate enough time to the forum to participate in a thread you yourself started, then my suggestion that you don't participate at all.

And why not drop the hyperbole. I'm pretty active in the forum, and I hardly "spend all of my waking hours" on the forum.

No, you're clearly taking a position, as opposed to posing questions to get people to think. We're thinking very nicely in multiple discussions.

Many people have many interests that are not part of their jobs. Religion affects everyone in this country, whether they themselves are religious or not. And in fact, religion in America sometimes affects the non-religious most of all.
Maybe you should read post#1. It makes no sense to me why nonspiritual post in a spiritual forum. They have nothing to contribute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 01:53 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to what people say on this thread? I have a life. I asked a simple question to make people think. How does my OP attack atheism? Beyond that I don’t understand why people who claim to not be religious post on a religious forum.
So you ask a simple question, ignore the direct responses because you have a life and no time to spend responding, but yet you continue to post that you do not understand. And you even start new threads on the same topic. But wouldn't reading at least a few of the responses take less time? And why should others answer you a second or third time when you cannot extend the common courtesy of reading the answers already given?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:00 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to what people say on this thread? I have a life. I asked a simple question to make people think. How does my OP attack atheism? Beyond that I don’t understand why people who claim to not be religious post on a religious forum.
Maybe you expect that only religious people have an interest in Religion or Spirituality. That isn't the case. Many of the non-believers are here because the process of becoming non-believers was quite traumatic for them. It's therapy for them to discuss these things. Also, this isn't a Religious forum. It is a forum ABOUT Religion and Spirituality. The same confusion exists about our Christianity forum. It is not just for Christians. It is for anybody that wants to discuss issues related to Christianity.

Did you not get any answers the first times you raised this topic? Why didn't you just post in those threads if you had more questions?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:

I still think it’s stupid for the non spiritual to post on this forum. They have nothing positive to contribute
Well, this is the opinion of a person who thinks a good use of his limited time is to ask a question, ignore the responses, then ask the question again, while deceptively pretending he is asking for the first time.

So, not an opinion upon which I personally would place any value.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:26 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
Referring specifically to evangelical / fundamentalist Christianity here:

I think that a belief-system that I grew up in, experienced my early adulthood in, and which has since the 1980s transformed itself into more of a political movement than a religious movement and is now enabling things like Trumpism, and which I have come to feel does concrete harms to society and individuals for that and other reasons, has "relevance" to me. So why wouldn't I remark up on it?

Sure, I don't lay awake nights over it, but I think it's perfectly legitimate and understandable that I have views on it and am moved to share them.

I also think that the constant drumbeat of such non-sequitur questions as this one, reflect a desire on the part of conservative Christians for inconvenient views they have no real defense against to Just Go Away.

So sorry that's a problem for you.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
This sort of "positivity" is what the superstitious, supernaturalists, spiritualists, and religionists always seem to resort to.

I believe that there is nothing "negative" about a good correction, it is only positive... well, except to the wrong and happily so.

Religion and Spirituality (and as it is, the ideas about the nature of ultimate reality in various categories) isn't just fun and games, it's supposed to be serious and requires reproof and correction... well, to some people, I suppose that would be only when it feels convenient.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
But I am curious, if a lot of the Bible is pure crap, why do you think that is? Is God not powerful enough to prevent His message being confused by those adding pure crap to it? Or is He powerful enough, but doesn't care?
Again Petunia, you are talking to a liberal Christian, therefore to my best guestimation: "God is mysteriously more caring than humans are and there is given freedom in humans to err without God meddling in human/worldly affairs of books and Bibliolatries."

A conservative Christian would say: "There is nothing wrong in my literal interpretation of the version I happen to hold in high esteem. God maintains his word perfect and true, seed to plate! It is the fault of others that they don't interpret it or view my particular version/translation/edition as I do."

Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Maybe you should read post#1. It makes no sense to me why nonspiritual post in a spiritual forum. They have nothing to contribute
Krakatoa was primarily a pyroclastic volcano.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:

your stuck on words.

its a place where people can discuss a statement of belief about god and/or learn about other statements of belief about god. You also fail to understand that some people are anti-religion. and they most certainly feel they have a stake in this.

you are right in thinking that the regular non spiritual types don't usually post here. They have better things to do. I mean if you look at the actual numbers that post regularly, its not that many. And many of them are fighting something.

and, we do have something to offer ... another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality