Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 06:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

spiritual to me is the emotional connections to our surroundings or one's inner base axioms. Happy, sad, the whole is more important than the individual, or the individual is most important, type things. And the mixture of those those things in each of us.

so we can have both and negative and positive "spirits". ok, so some of use the standard model to describes these how this spiritual thing works. The standard model isn't complete, not even close actually, but it is all we have for now.

in animals the interactions of fields causes us to do the things we do. well, how far do these fields extend? How many interactions take place in a given volume? What drives these interactions? what type of feedback loops do we see?

it doesn't take a rocket science to see the implications. Its also why biologist are more prone to see nothing and astrophysicists tend to see something. please, keep god out of it, if we need to squish any god talk that means no god defines us, that's a fundy think type. fundy think types can't see past the cloud that surrounds them because they think what they see is as clear as a bell.

pick your poison. deny everything or invent a god based on a limited set of understandings? Define your world by definitions that others tell you? Let the events in your life be the reason you act? or look at attributes and interactions to clear the haze that surrounds each of us? or, maybe even, struggle like the dickens to avoid letting an event in your life define your whole life.

I don't like science being misused. pure science isn't restricted by people that let the "springboard effect" or "personal relevance" decide how the universe works. I don't care that my brother doesn't care about the oort cloud, its more valid to claim it is there than it is not. For me to hide some science that he can use to form his belief is deceitful and actually that tactic stunts growth just like any religion can.

why do I post?

I used to think atheism was a label that other people put on people like me. We describe how the universe works and others call us atheist. I have since learned, from the internet, that some atheist are out to convert others to follow an anti-god dogma and will stop at nothing to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. 'Spiritual' I see as the aspirations of humanity, hopefully the better ones. I see it as natural and an evolutionary instinct. Curiosity, discovery, problem -solving. Also social interaction and communication. I would like to see "spiritual" reclaimed for secularism from those who have turned it into some sort of divine bestowment from God. They have given us sufficient excuse by trying to exclude secularism from the "spiritual" by telling us that "science" loses the sense of awe and wonder that only seeing it all through stained glass can bring.

I say science gives a true sense of awe and wonder at nature; seeing it as no more than a billboard for God means that nature doesn't get the awe and wonder; the God -concept does. Time for us to stop shrinking away from the term "Spiritual" and take it back.
Indeed. I once watched the sun rise, except that I did not. What I actually saw at that moment was not the illusion, I was watching an average star being revealed by the small planet that I was on revolving. I can not explain the awe in German, so I will not try in English, but I was not only watching something beautiful, I could also see just how small my self is compared to the universe.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Indeed. I once watched the sun rise, except that I did not. What I actually saw at that moment was not the illusion, I was watching an average star being revealed by the small planet that I was on revolving. I can not explain the awe in German, so I will not try in English, but I was not only watching something beautiful, I could also see just how small my self is compared to the universe.
It plays into the mantra I have started to adopt: "We are part of the whole, and the whole is part of us". Our atoms that comprise us are billions of years old, and came from different parts of the existing universe, and possibly from interactions of various multiverses (pure speculation, as multiverses have not been shown to exist, and may not be if the physics outside our universe is different than inside it).

Those atoms, which continually are being recycled during our life time (our cells die, are excreted or shed, and replaced), and finally when we become wormfood, the remnant of who we were become part of the earth, feed plants, which feed animals, and when our star explodes, are then cast into the universe to eventually form new stars, planets, and potentially life in a place light years away from where we are now.

THAT is my spirituality, and it fills me with awe in the realization this is a reality, not some ancient fable told around some campfire by superstitious goat herders in a desert near the Mediterranean.

And you're correct, one can't express that in my first language I learned, German, nor the one I later grew up with, English.

Last edited by normstad; 01-31-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I get that, too, but I also get awe at what humans can do, like when it's possible to outpace the day progression of rotation and to make atoms jump through hoops.

I have to say that I am not at all impressed by the argument that this awe cannot exist unless used as an advertisement for the God - claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It plays into the mantra I have started to adopt: "We are part of the whole, and the whole is part of us". Our atoms that comprise us are billions of years old, and came from different parts of the existing universe, and possibly from interactions of various multiverses (pure speculation, as multiverses have not been shown to exist, and may not be if the physics outside our universe is different than inside it).

Those atoms, which continually are being recycled during our life time (our cells die, are excreted or shed, and replaced), and finally when we become wormfood, the remnant of who we were become part of the earth, feed plants, which feed animals, and when our star explodes, are then cast into the universe to eventually form new stars, planets, and potentially life in a place light years away from where we are now.

THAT is my spirituality, and it fills me with awe in the realization this is a reality, not some ancient fable told around some campfire by superstitious goat herders in a desert near the Mediterranean.

And you're correct, one can't express that in my first language I learned, German, nor the one I later grew up with, English.
It is indeed awesome that we are star - matter and exploded star - matter, too, and that the water we drink has been through a million dinosaur - kidneys. It's all awesome

Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
we post to teach. There is another way.
sort-a

Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
I get that, too, but I also get awe at what humans can do, like when it's possible to outpace the day progression of rotation and to make atoms jump through hoops.

I have to say that I am not at all impressed by the argument that this awe cannot exist unless used as an advertisement for the God - claim.

It is indeed awesome that we are star - matter and exploded star - matter, too, and that the water we drink has been through a million dinosaur - kidneys. It's all awesome
Or to put it more into the now, the water we drink is the same stuff fish procreate in.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Or to put it more into the now, the water we drink is the same stuff fish procreate in.
And worse We just have to trust the purification technology.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
I'm just passing through on the way back from AtheistFo. Hi.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
And worse We just have to trust the purification technology.
You're still alive, aintcha?

Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're still alive, aintcha?
Only because I have developed immunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality