Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Because they are not anti religion, just anti Christian.
Maybe we post simply to correct these misrepresentations and misunderstandings posted and repeated by too many theists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:14 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is because you are using the wrong verb. But if you think pointing out uncomfortable facts is an attack, then you are blaming us instead of those uncomfortable facts.
Sadly, that is an all too common response in these fora irrespective of the issue or position that is taken.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Didn't we discover Ozzy is only 14 years old?
He's a remarkably bright 14 years old, if so. And intransigent enough for a 60 -year -old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly, that is an all too common response in these fora irrespective of the issue or position that is taken.
Yes, we should try not to take this stuff personally. But we have to understand that, when people invest themselves in their beliefs, any attack on those beliefs, is an attack on themselves. But remember, when anti -atheists post lies about atheists just to attack us, it is hard to see it as anything but an attack - not personal - but on atheists collectively as it tends to saddle us with the same accusation collectively. But even that isn't taken personaly. It just has to be responded to. What else? Just sit an let the lies pass?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:52 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Didn't we discover Ozzy is only 14 years old?
Yes. Who joined C-D twelve years ago. Quite the precocious two-year-old, he was! (and already a headbanger at that young age... weird)

Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Yes. Who joined C-D twelve years ago. Quite the precocious two-year-old, he was! (and already a headbanger at that young age... weird)
Remarkable. Quite the old head on young shoulders. Thinking back over his posts I would have added at least twenty years to him.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
I'm merely giving my opinion on something I've had different opinions on in the past. But I have to come to believe that religious people are harmless, and that is what has led to my change of opinion.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm merely giving my opinion on something I've had different opinions on in the past. But I have to come to believe that religious people are harmless, and that is what has led to my change of opinion.
I get it ozzy it. I would just change that to most people are harmless. Most people just want to do the best they can for as many as they can. Infact, most atheist don't post here ozzy. most atheist, like most theist, don't care. they have empathy, intellect, and a willingness to help.

like the movie says "because our leaders are dopes doesn't mean we have to be".

Jerks are jerks. I said it a million times, list the personality defects accepted by people in the field. Then list how those personality disorders would express theism and atheism. we see it in both camps. and those that deny it are the red flag. its independent of belief.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:30 PM

the problem is that some of the lies aren't lies.

like nates "attack against atheist". he merely makes a point, valid point, and it is minimized by statements like some of these posts. atheist tell theist a disagreement isn't an attack. and some of us whip it out all the time when some people disagree with us.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
yeah, that's why i don't like back door DM's. I wonder if we had a list of the backdoor PM's around a thread if it would prove this.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 01-29-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You are obviously unaware of Ozzy's posting history.
I am. I was only assessing what I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So many strawmen! Yours being yet another.
Where?

Quote:
Critical discussion of religious beliefs is why we are here - with an agenda behind it, in many cases, I don't deny.
Well again, there is a difference between attacking religious belief and attacking religious beliefS. I'd say there may be cause for the latter (depending on the specific doctrine, naturally), but none for the former at all.

Quote:
I'd like Ozzy to stay and engage in reasoned discussion, but that's what we are not getting. Instead he says he finds it boring. Nobody is forcing him to stay and be bored.
And here is the strawman I was referring to. As far as I can tell, he wasn't saying that reasoned discussion or even attacks on religious beliefS were boring. He was saying that attacks on religious belief in general was boring (and I'm inclined to agree). Else, he might've simply been distinguishing between attacks and reasoned discussion. Maybe to his mind he's seeing far more of the former than the latter. I would find that boring as well!

Quote:
In fact 'tired', and 'bored' are, I have this theory, weasel words by theist apologists that mean 'I am fed up with not winning the argument'.
I've heard anti-theists do the same.

Quote:
And the suggestion that we go and get a life and let them go back to Owning the board for Christianity like it was in the Good Old Days is always implicit. It's not going to happen. Not here, and I hope in time, not America.
I think anti-theists should get a life, personally. It's always the same old arguments that never get anywhere logically. But whenever a new topic/angle comes up, that's a whole other story. And I of course agree that it shouldn't just be Christians and their defenders here. That would be extremely boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality