Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 07:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Evidence. Not ignorance, evidence.

Which is just a subset of chemistry. An exergonic chemical reaction to be precise. And you accused us of using the composition fallacy.

harry, what you don't understand is that life is a set of interactions, in a volume. At our level, Life is a set of chemical reactions in a volume. The first complex set of interactions per unit volume that has enough interions to be classified differently than other objects is a cell.

we are in a system if interactions that have the attributes of life.

You keep whipping out composition fallacy like it is in any way meaningful. It is not. You use the words "composition fallacy", strawman, and non sequitur like it theist whip out three people saw the empty tomb so jesus must of woke up and flew away.

You are misusing the word composition fallacy far more than mystic is misusing the word the god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That sound I hear must be the goalposts moving.

Thank you for not going on ad naseum. Your opinions that reality is alive and conscious have been noted, and deemed lacking due to lack of any supporting evidence.
who's deems it not enough? you? we are in the biosphere. we are defined by that system and we feedback on that system to influence it.

it is far more valid to claim we are in a system of life (the biosphere) than it is to claim we are in a system of non life.

the word "alive". would you like to compare your evidence in claiming we are not in an alive system to that calculation and measurement that points to us in a living system? yeah, it may crude, but so was e=mc^2 until the lunar eclipse proves it.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
Because they are not anti religion, just anti Christian.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:19 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
False.

Although, in the US of A, it's fundie Christians who pose the greatest danger to society so they remain the main targets of rational, empathetic, educated people.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
False.

Although, in the US of A, it's fundie Christians who pose the greatest danger to society so they remain the main targets of rational, empathetic, educated people.
Not to mention that most of the attention in this forum is about christianity since the vast majority of the posters are Americans and in America most people self-identify as christians. But playing the victim card is a common tactic of a certain swatch of the American religious/political landscape.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:59 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
harry, what you don't understand is that life is a set of interactions, in a volume. At our level, Life is a set of chemical reactions in a volume. The first complex set of interactions per unit volume that has enough interions to be classified differently than other objects is a cell.
Do I listen to you and Mystic, or to actual biologists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we are in a system if interactions that have the attributes of life.

You keep whipping out composition fallacy like it is in any way meaningful. It is not. You use the words "composition fallacy", strawman, and non sequitur like it theist whip out three people saw the empty tomb so jesus must of woke up and flew away.

You are misusing the word composition fallacy far more than mystic is misusing the word the god.
No, I use the terms correctly. Your constant need to misrepresent this to attack people is against the forum rules.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
What part of "we do not believe in ANY gods" do you NOT understand?

The concept is simple for most people to understand.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Do I listen to you and Mystic, or to actual biologists?

No, I use the terms correctly. Your constant need to misrepresent this to attack people is against the forum rules.
Attacking? I am not attacking. Because I disagree with you I am attacking? the victim card eh.

me, you, and a biologist? You don't want that harry. On a forum you get to push less valid stances. Out in the real, with me, you, and a biologist, it won't end the same way.

the claim that we are in a system of "life" is more valid than the claim we are not in a system of life. If you have a biologist friend, bring them to me because you are not equipped. you stick to your little history lessons. I stick to my area of expertise.

I am saying you are misusing the terms. and you are.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
False.

As opposed to the irrational Christian who doesn't denounce God and their belief in His Word?

Old 01-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
What part of "we do not believe in ANY gods" do you NOT understand?

The concept is simple for most people to understand.
I believe the question of the OP included "skeptics? as well as atheist. Understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality