Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 09:03 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Is it gas lighting to question what is real and what is not? Regardless how it might make anyone feel about "their reality?"
Yes, because you PRESUME your reality is the true one and theirs is not despite the undeniable fact that we do not have the faintest idea what the hell our Reality actually IS!!! You pretend we KNOW which can be worse than being wrong in some ways. We know enough to operate pragmatically using the user interface presented to us, but that does NOT mean we know what Reality is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 09:06 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Secular,Politics. As opposed to sacred, religious. In my opinion they should not mix, although they do. While the visit by the Pope assuaged those who were abused, and sought reconciliation, in my opinion it is not a political matter. It is a Christian matter that needed a Christian resolution. Canada was not going to make a political move against the Vatican on the matter, which would be news. I dont have an issue that it is news, just that i find it curious. All kinds of acharyas and imams visit from other countries. They hardly ever make the evening news. Why is Pope news? I don’t know.
I understand that you have an opinion and how you digest news may differ.
The Pope is news, because he is the leader of the Catholic church, and for so many people (especially Christians) the Pope represents a direct line back to Jesus. Christians represent a significant world population, so what their leader does tends to make news, and for all of us, since this news transcends just Christians, it's all the more justified as world news.

Also yet again, it's very hard to untangle religion from politics. About this too...

QUEBEC CITY — The Canadian government made clear Wednesday that Pope Francis' apology to Indigenous peoples for abuses in the country's church-run residential schools didn't go far enough, suggesting that reconciliation over the fraught history is still very much a work in progress.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...cj6/revision/6

Where does the one end and the other begin? You tell me, but the significant overlap is rather obvious...

Old 08-05-2022, 09:13 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, because you PRESUME your reality is the true one and theirs is not despite the undeniable fact that we do not have the faintest idea what the hell our Reality actually IS!!! You pretend we KNOW which can be worse than being wrong in some ways. We know enough to operate pragmatically using the user interface presented to us, but that does NOT mean we know what Reality is.
I'm sorry, but I'm always rather disappointed at your ongoing want to describe what I am doing the way you do...

I am simply considering the arguments, opinions or beliefs presented in this forum and offering my thoughts about them. All of us have them. We share them. For all of us to consider (or not) as we deem appropriate. Make of them what we will.

That's all. Otherwise, what I know, we generally all know. None of which we debate. What others claim to know beyond our general simple understanding of what is truth and/or what is not known to be true, is where people like you and people like me tend to "part company" intellectually speaking.

"I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know, if you know what I mean"

I've always really liked that song and all the lyrics...

Old 08-05-2022, 09:45 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
The Pope is news, because he is the leader of the Catholic church, and for so many people (especially Christians) the Pope represents a direct line back to Jesus. Christians represent a significant world population, so what their leader does tends to make news, and for all of us, since this news transcends just Christians, it's all the more justified as world news.

Also yet again, it's very hard to untangle religion from politics. About this too...

QUEBEC CITY — The Canadian government made clear Wednesday that Pope Francis' apology to Indigenous peoples for abuses in the country's church-run residential schools didn't go far enough, suggesting that reconciliation over the fraught history is still very much a work in progress.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...cj6/revision/6

Where does the one end and the other begin? You tell me, but the significant overlap is rather obvious...
Thank you for the link on how the Pope is important to Catholics and how significant the number of Catholics is. Much appreciated. What is important to Catholics and the Pope’s connection to Jesus is News? Really? Odd coming from an Atheist.
I still believe it is a Christian matter and the Pope should be making some serious reparations. THAT would be news to me.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:18 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
Oh you understand why. They are taking shots and you and I and sticking it to you, and I. Oh, and it has been working and continues to work. For them, it's about politics and they live as radical liberals. They, like terrorists, will use your virtue against you. Their reward is a couple of bronze coins or something like that. In the end, they will lose. Why? Because evil has a half-life.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Some who post on the religion forums were once religious, like me, so we may have a different perspective on the subjects being discussed. I was deeply involved in fundamentalist Christianity for a majority of my life. Today I'm more of a pantheist or deist.
Coffeeshop atheist.
You think atheists and those wanting to know more about what makes people tick is evil? That's right, Fundies think everything is evil if it doesn't align with their beliefs. Belittling and harassing unbelievers is part of your repertoire. You turn others far away from your religion and you are considered a lunatic. If the shoe fits.

In the end of what? Oh right, we're going to be thrown into the fiery pit of your hell because I didn't buy your particular brand of religion. What if I were Catholic? Would you be happier with that or you going to argue with me about how evil they are because they believe differently than you?

And what is a coffee shop atheist?

The Christians (mostly fundies) on here are so mean and self-righteous, it doesn't bode well for what you're selling. Nobody is buying anymore. In the end, looks like you lose.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-05-2022 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2022, 11:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
I think everytime the Dali Lama, the Pope, the top Anglican or an important Muslim leader visits Canada it is covered in the News because it is news , same as when a foreign political leader visits here as well. They do not visit every day so their visits are news. Same as any Royal visit it major international sporting event. Secular, religious or other are all news if they are important enough to interest people.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:25 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Of course, but again there is the more macro consideration as to what is going on in the light and heating of all those churches (and mosques and synagogues and
...)

Permitted: Nonpartisan Speech

Federal law does not restrict a church’s nonpartisan speech. In practice this means that a church may freely encourage its congregation to vote. It may also do other things that touch upon political matters, including:

Providing members of the congregation with nonpartisan information about issues in an election.

Organizing voter registration drives.

Hosting candidates as speakers, provided that each candidate on the ballot is given an equal opportunity to participate.

Holding discussions about the relationship between church doctrine and ballot issues.
Never in my life--and I know I've been in churches more than you have--have I experienced anything like that, even in the very conservative Reformed Church of my childhood. I am sure it might go on, particularly in the conservative South, but that's a pretty unfair assumption to make built upon the fact I brought up that the great majority of churches are struggling to pay those electric and heating bills.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:42 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
[quote=Northsouth;63913672]
Quote:

You think atheists and those wanting to know more about what makes people tick is evil? That's right, Fundies think everything is evil if it doesn't align with their beliefs. Belittling and harassing unbelievers is part of your repertoire. You turn others far away from your religion and you are considered a lunatic. If the shoe fits.

In the end of what? Oh right, we're going to be thrown into the fiery pit of your hell because I didn't buy your particular brand of religion. What if I were Catholic? Would you be happier with that or you going to argue with me about how evil they are because they believe differently than you?

And what is a coffee shop atheist?

The Christians (mostly fundies) on here are so mean and self-righteous, it doesn't bode well for what you're selling. Nobody is buying anymore. In the end, looks like you lose.
More people are "buying" Religion than ever.
It's Atheism that is diminishing and losing. Losing to Theism.
Only "lunatics" have trouble coping with that fact.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:44 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Secular,Politics. As opposed to sacred, religious. In my opinion they should not mix, although they do. While the visit by the Pope assuaged those who were abused, and sought reconciliation, in my opinion it is not a political matter. It is a Christian matter that needed a Christian resolution. Canada was not going to make a political move against the Vatican on the matter, which would be news. I dont have an issue that it is news, just that i find it curious. All kinds of acharyas and imams visit from other countries. They hardly ever make the evening news. Why is Pope news? I don’t know.
I understand that you have an opinion and how you digest news may differ.
You seriously still do not understand this?

There is a distinct group of marginalized people, the original inhabitants of a country, who have suffered great abuse, loss of their culture and language and land--and their CHILDREN, by those who came from other parts of the world and took away their freedom. This abuse was carried out in a joint effort by a government along with several religious organizations, the largest of which was the Catholic Church.

The stories from the survivors are heartbreaking. One older woman told of how she never even learned her tribal language as a child. Her parents deliberately did not teach her because they knew that she would be sent to the residential school when she was old enough and were aware that if she was heard speaking her native language, she would be beaten, so they withheld the knowledge to protect her.

The head of the church responsible for this behavior made the arduous trip in very poor health to see these people and say that what was done to them was wrong and that the church would make steps to do what they could, even though the damage that was done can obviously not be repaired. It wasn't just some scheduled Pope visit to have his fans wave to him. It is something that these marginalized, abused people have been waiting to hear for generations, and no, not all accept the apology. The hurt is too deep. But it was a great step toward healing. That's not the same as some imam or acharya just coming to visit a country on a goodwill tour.

I'm somewhat puzzled why you resist seeing the importance of this.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:02 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think everytime the Dali Lama, the Pope, the top Anglican or an important Muslim leader visits Canada it is covered in the News because it is news , same as when a foreign political leader visits here as well. They do not visit every day so their visits are news. Same as any Royal visit it major international sporting event. Secular, religious or other are all news if they are important enough to interest people.
I understand what is considered news. I am only expressing my opinion that I do not consider a religious leader visiting is news, because it is a non-event that does not effect change in any way to the world. Sports actually does, effect change and breaks new ground. It matters. The Lionesses, enough said. News has become indistinguishable from entertainment, delivered with a lot of shouting, "breaking news" all the time. I much prefer to read, even day old newspaper or news magazines, slowly, in my own "Other Voice" voice in the head. Just my opinion, you are free to disagree.

Jon Stewart, whom I love and respect, has a great show on media and how it sells news. Worth watching. That of course has noting to do with the Pope's visit. Anyway we are off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality