Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 09:02 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
When horrors like this happen actors on both sides use religion to justify their actions. Closer to home those who opposed slavery besides the enslaved themselves, based their belief to abolish on the same religion that others used to not only preserve it but to make laws that promote the rights of slave holders and to expand slavery. All the white people read from the same book to justify evil and also to abolish it and died for their beliefs. A common thread that connects all religions is the exhortation do good, do the right thing. They say all that because doing good is hard. Knowing what is good is harder. What people read into it and how they act is not religion, it is their "inner voice".
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But how do you do reparations to the dead?
The indigenes people, many of whom are survivors of the “assimilation” program, have some ideas. The Pope needs to sit with them, listen, and work out a plan that would reconcile their grievances. That would make his ‘penitent’ visit more meaningful. And since he is the leader of all Catholics and a direct lineage to Jesus, according to LearnMe, this will be a loud and clear message. That will be news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 10:35 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The indigenes people, many of whom are survivors of the “assimilation” program, have some ideas. The Pope needs to sit with them, listen, and work out a plan that would reconcile their grievances. That would make his ‘penitent’ visit more meaningful. And since he is the leader of all Catholics and a direct lineage to Jesus, according to LearnMe, this will be a loud and clear message. That will be news.
I think you missed the point of my question...which was -- how do you do reparations to the dead?

Old 08-05-2022, 10:57 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Bad people use anything they can as a excuse. Always have.
Religion, like political/social concepts...commonly something to hide behind to run a evil game.
Or to get others to do on your behalf.

But yes, I believe most wars, even those seemingly under the guise of religion, are primarily about power and greed. Selling them in the name of the people's god(s) makes them more palatable.

Old 08-06-2022, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I think you missed the point of my question...which was -- how do you do reparations to the dead?
I think by doing right by the living. If the Pope’s visit is news, and if he is believed to have direct lineage to Jesus (which stresses the imagination since we are talking about celibates) then his actions and words should carry weight. The message should be stop messing around with people, respect their culture even if you dont understand it, and recognize the divinity that is within all. You cannot perfect what is already perfect. And back up those words. Give the survivors and the community you wronged money till it hurts.
Talking of reparations, any guess on which colonial country demanded reparations, got it, and left the country it colonized in deep debt and impoverished? Jeopardy Hint: what is Haiti?

Old 08-06-2022, 03:16 AM

Quote:
It changes nothing for the dead.
You keep repeating the obvious. Are you trying to say you dont believe in reparations because those children are dead so just forget the whole thing and move on? Maybe the Pope agrees with you, but not Trudeau.

Old 08-06-2022, 03:52 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’re so wrapped in (your own) forum standard as to how you express what is ‘valid’ (and usually not) in your eyes, you have a tendency to attach a ‘claim’ (and want to argue) every minor point - even though I, too, am an atheist. As a result, you miss the bigger picture (relative to basic human rights, opinion and theists’ ‘faith’ as well). It’s logical/necessary to promote atheism and equality as opposed to fighting individuality or one’s own demons.
No, I do not miss your your bigger picture of promoting atheism, I am simply not interested in it. I am (once again) correcting bad arguments, and it is not what is in my eyes, it is what comes from logic, science, mathematics and history.

And you want me to not do that because it allegedly hurts atheism, because some religious people do not like the truth. False beliefs should be corrected so that those who want to make educated choices can do so. They can take what I post and use it if they wish, or they can try and honestly refute my argument (it would make a pleasant change), or they can correct an argument if it is wrong, or they can ignore it, but I am not going to be quiet just because you think it hurts atheism (even though you have provided no evidence it does).

Quote:
Hence my point, it becomes about the defense of one’s ego (or personal anger) far more than it is relative to the recognition atheism deserves. Obviously.
Or some other reason (that I explained and you keep ignoring). And going the 'it is all emotional' route? Surely relying on fallacies is not good for atheism?

Quote:
You honestly believe your intention is to stop the spread of hatred, particularly relative to this thread? Or that you’re somehow improving our image (atheists) as a result of your posts? Come on, lol.
Irrelevant to any of my posts you actually quoted. But yes, I think educating others IS good for atheism, especially as we have the evidence. And if some religious people do not like that, tough.

Old 08-06-2022, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I side with Harry. I like the way he disputes points one at a time.
Thank you, although I do ask myself if others find it annoying.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or to get others to do on your behalf.

But yes, I believe most wars, even those seemingly under the guise of religion, are primarily about power and greed. Selling them in the name of the people's god(s) makes them more palatable.
Indeed. But you do not resolve problems like creationism (or football hooliganism) by pointing out most religious people are not creationists (or most football fans are not hooligans). But some religious people want to deflect to the good things, allowing the bad to continue doing instead of using the power of religion to do the good it is capable of.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:25 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Indeed. But you do not resolve problems like creationism (or football hooliganism) by pointing out most religious people are not creationists (or most football fans are not hooligans). But some religious people want to deflect to the good things, allowing the bad to continue doing instead of using the power of religion to do the good it is capable of.
Wrong, again.
Most understand that it is not reasonable to obsessively and compulsively insult, mock, and harangue strangers that are members of any group or organization, because not all members have been "perfect" in their conduct and thoughts (as per your subjective opinion)...given that no one is perfect and thus no group or organization could be made up of perfect people.
If that is how one judges...then they can just condemn "humans" (living or dead) in general.
And if the main reason you are busting on them is because you feel that they have "bad arguments" relative to beliefs they hold that you think they shouldn't....well, they have lots of names and descriptors for people that would do that.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:54 AM

I do not know what is in the above post, but ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality