Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 08:50 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or to get others to do on your behalf.

But yes, I believe most wars, even those seemingly under the guise of religion, are primarily about power and greed. Selling them in the name of the people's god(s) makes them more palatable.
Why these veils people hide behind to promote wrong-doing need to be called out and done away with, at least to expose the wrong-doing for what it is. Just because bad people are clever about tricking good people doesn't mean good people shouldn't do what they can to keep bad people from doing what they do. Transparency with regard to the truth of these matters goes a long way toward exposing the wrong-doers for what they are. A never-ending effort that can and must be done for the sake of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think there are two separate things working here.

First, while war is hell, I do think there are necessary wars. And I think what Hitler and the Japanese were doing fully justified, and even necessitated that war. And in a case like that, I don't think its necessarily inappropriate for religious leaders to support a war. How can you not take action against something that includes the Holocaust?

What I object to is this seemingly eternal concept that god blesses the United States in all it does, and how religion often seems to accept and condone...and even lead...that thinking.
Well, Hitler's wars WERE about power and greed, weren't they? The stepping in of the Allies was a reaction to that, so no, in that case the support of religious leaders was the right thing to do. That's pretty much obvious, and you surely are smart enough to know that could not be to what I referred.

Equally obvious, of course, is that I was talking about people who start wars ostensibly for religious reasons but are really about power and greed. Think of the Catholic vs. Protestant conflicts of a few hundred years ago after the Reformation as well as those two sisters, Cathy and Liz, in England.

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Of course I am not a religious person, at all, but that doesn't mean I can't also have opinion about religious leaders, good or bad...

Pope Francis has proven himself to be the "real deal" for many people including me. He tries, he's a reformer, and although the Catholic church drags along a lot of baggage, Pope Francis seems to be sincere about wanting a better world for all people, and to do what he can to promote at least some progress where he can.
Despite what I have said about this current issue, I do give Francis a great deal of credit. I have often wondered the attitude of the cardinals toward Francis' actions.

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Why these veils people hide behind to promote wrong-doing need to be called out and done away with, at least to expose the wrong-doing for what it is. Just because bad people are clever about tricking good people doesn't mean good people shouldn't do what they can to keep bad people from doing what they do. Transparency with regard to the truth of these matters goes a long way toward exposing the wrong-doers for what they are. A never-ending effort that can and must be done for the sake of everyone.
No argument there.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think by doing right by the living. If the Pope’s visit is news, and if he is believed to have direct lineage to Jesus (which stresses the imagination since we are talking about celibates) then his actions and words should carry weight. The message should be stop messing around with people, respect their culture even if you dont understand it, and recognize the divinity that is within all. You cannot perfect what is already perfect. And back up those words. Give the survivors and the community you wronged money till it hurts.
Talking of reparations, any guess on which colonial country demanded reparations, got it, and left the country it colonized in deep debt and impoverished? Jeopardy Hint: what is Haiti?
Thanks for this chuckle too...

Celibates? Let's not forget that Jesus' mother was a virgin. When it comes to religion, there is no stretch too far.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
According to me?

Again, I'm not making any of this up. You are source of a whole lot of head-scratching...
There is a tendency for some posters to virtually always and automatically stick up for religion.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Thank you, although I do ask myself if others find it annoying.
I agree with Phet's compliment, and we've already touched upon the need to avoid or ignore some posters that you tend to entertain more than others, but ultimately we're all free to focus on what suits us and simply pass over the rest. Glad you are here in the mix in any case.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
One has to believe in what the religion teaches to believe in the power it has. What is the power do you, as an Atheist, think exists in religion? That is a surprising statement.
Any atheist with half a brain fully appreciates the significant power of religion, and how it ultimately affects all of us one way or another, for better or worse.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That still does not help the person who suffered and died.

We're talking about two separate things. There is a difference between making amends to a culture, and then there is making amends to the individual, and you can't to the latter.
Most of the dead people I've talked to feel like they've been left behind...

Old 08-06-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnme View Post
most of the dead people i've talked to feel like they've been left behind...
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality