Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 12:49 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Firth, “It’s not a personal battle”? Actually, often it is.
In this thread, yes, it clearly is. In the ‘real world’, it’s (more effectively) a collective battle relative to our rights/equality. There is nothing to win/gain relative to the fact our choice is more logical (or by way of an incessant need to prove/argue such, either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 02:54 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Ok, so you said “not do bad things.” I suppose you argue that does not mean do good things. So have you observed evidence where religious power has stopped people from doing bad things?
The concept is simple, if people do use religion to dictate how to live part of their life, then they will do so whether the result is good or bad. So if the religious message focuses on doing good, then religion becomes a force for good. Which is why I have no problem with moderate Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I did not make any statements about religion declining or growing. You did.
I know, and you responded as if you do not know or have an opinion. So I asked for clarification.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m confusing you/Phet, because your comments//personal assumptions are often very similar. That said, you’re not grasping my point relative to ‘group-think’ and the importance of thinking for one’s self - particularly since I’m an atheist in a professional environment (whether you agree with me or not).
Group think is irrelevant to why or what I post. Apart from the science, many of my arguments are my own based on logic, mathematics and doing my own historical research. And once again, my posts are for those who want to evaluate the relative merits of the different arguments for themselves.

Quote:
That you want to perceive me as being hurt is relative to (the protection of) your own ego, not mine - as are most of your posts relative to this thread, for that matter. It’s not about me (or my atheism).
Yet you are the one making this all about you. You have an opinion that is irrelevant to me, or why I post here, so you pretend I am missing your point.

Quote:
This only confirms my point you think in terms of an angry forum-mentality sans an understanding relative to real world communication and acceptance re: the rights of theists to believe as they please, as long as we aren’t being forced to do the same. It’s crazy, from my perspective, there are atheists who act similarly arrogant/forceful, particularly relative to this thread (and fail to see the irony). Who cares if we have an elderly Aunt who prays? It’s not a personal battle, despite those who want to make it so by way of their own anger.
It only confirms your point if you ignore what I actually wrote. And you have. OK, your ego wins, me accepting the right for the religious to believe what they will is for some reason an angry forum-mentality saying the exact opposite. Because this has nothing to do with you wanting to be right.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:40 AM

Quote:
First of all, we’re not in a chance meeting on the street, or in court, or in a boardroom.
Even if it was, I would still respond the same way, and I have never had a problem. The difference is here we discuss things we do not normally discuss in real life.

Another thing is that there is a greater chance of confusing who said what, so it may be that I am being attacked for what someone else said.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:46 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

I know, and you responded as if you do not know or have an opinion. So I asked for clarification.
I have lots of opinions
I believe religion will not diminish. What will happen, and i think is happening, is definition of religion will change. The influence of Eastern thought and spiritual practices that are being discovered and adopted by many who come from Abrahamic religions. Organized religions will transform to community gatherings for prayer and meditation, and social work, which is already happening. How one prays will change. All of this will nave a beneficial effect on the environment, climate change, farming and animal husbandry, housing, even corporate culture. This too is evident if you notice.
That is my opinion.

Last edited by cb2008; 08-07-2022 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-07-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You have an opinion that is irrelevant to me, or why I post here, so you pretend I am missing your point.
You clearly are missing my point, lol. That someone prays or believes in a god is irrelevant to me - and to (the promotion of) atheism, as a whole. Hence the reason I consider it foolish to make it a personal battle/spectacle in threads such as this one. That said, enjoy!

Old 08-07-2022, 10:06 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
You clearly are missing my point, lol. That someone prays or believes in a god is irrelevant to me - and to (the promotion of) atheism, as a whole. Hence the reason I consider it foolish to make it a personal battle/spectacle in threads such as this one. That said, enjoy!
Everybody isn't required to agree with you. Several of us do not.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:07 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
All of us would! I once woke from a very vivid dream in which the area behind my childhood home, now occupied by four large houses, was restored to the field it had been when I was a kid. There was the clearing where daisies proliferated in summer, and the paths through the wooded areas with the viney bushes that formed a tent under which I would retreat with a book. I was amazed that it was back in every detail. I walked down the path I until suddenly I noticed that under one viney bush sat...Al Sharpton.

I asked him why he was there, and he said he was sick of the press hounding him and needed a rest. He asked me not to tell anyone where he was.

Woke up from that one thinking, hmm, the idea that dreams can be your brain throwing out bits and pieces of garbage might be right.
"I see dead people."

Old 08-07-2022, 10:09 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"I see dead people."
The most amazing movie I ever watched.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Everybody isn't required to agree with you.
Exactly, and theists aren’t required to agree with us; this is the entire point, lol. Hence the reason I stated I considered the constant personal battles (relative to this sort of thread) a foolish spectacle; I never said you/Harry thought so. Obviously, those who partake in such are not going to agree with me.

That said, you enjoy as well! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality