Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I see this as essentially the same thing. I don’t believe in either.
Yes, very much the same thing. But 'Fate' I see as more like Karma - it's a more mechanical process where some Intent or plan is worked out without the ability to make changes that a god might have. It's the difference between wirtchcraft and atrology. You can appease or bribe a witch, but al you can do with astrology is try to know what it has in store.

Fate - it always has this connotation of 'ypou can't escape it'. Nobody tried to appease or pray to fate, but people try to find a loophole or a way round it - if they just know what it plans. Very similar to a god, but with the humanlike mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
In a educated, sophisticated world of people in 2019...you still have over half endorsing an Abrahamic theological concept, and 4 out of 5 overall put stock in some religion. And religious belief is gaining on a global basis. Not because the Believers take the metaphorical and allegorical stories literally..but becuse they dig the overall philosophy of the theology.
Insulting them and bashing them for their beliefs on internet forums will not change anything and is not an effective "something else" to try to change that. Pounding sand and spitting into a strong wind would be more efficient and effective.
"Logic, reason, and common sense" make that obvious...so the only real reason some are here bashing, is because they get off on doing that.
Go take your tablet GldnRain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The Monkees???You're obviously easily amused as well as influenced if Dolenz going to a church was that interesting to you.
Now ain't that the truth.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:00 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
One of the Monkees just died. It's as if I'm starting to get up in the middle of a church service to go see a rock concert, and suddenly the preacher's next message point is about that particular band.

But we are talking about something pre-recorded by at least a year or two. Which would be even stranger than that. I wasn't interesting in a Monkee attending church. But it's like God was calling me back by getting my attention with something that had distracted me away from the church.
As others have noted, it is deeply engrained in human (and all animal) behavior to LOOK FOR PATTERNS. For some, it stops as a quirky observation ("huh, that was funny")... for some it becomes habit ("If I go here each day around this time, I get food")... for some it creates superstition ("my team wins if I wear these sox")... and for some it progresses to obsessive compulsive disorder ("I'm gonna have problems if I don't do this same routine every time").

Looking for God in every random coincidence falls somewhere along that continuum.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 02-28-2019 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 08:41 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
As others have noted, it is deeply engrained in human (and all animal) behavior to LOOK FOR PATTERNS. For some, it stops as a quirky observation ("huh, that was funny")... for some it becomes habit... for some it creates superstition... and for some it progresses to obsessive compulsive disorder. Looking for God in every random coincidence falls somewhere along that continuum.
I can see that being a result. I wasn't looking for it when it happened to me. It's was so distracting and I felt like it was coming at me from every direction. Like my brain couldn't figure out what to filter out as non important and what was relevant so it just let everything in. It stopped once I got my explanation.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I can see that being a result. I wasn't looking for it when it happened to me. It's was so distracting and I felt like it was coming at me from every direction. Like my brain couldn't figure out what to filter out as non important and what was relevant so it just let everything in. It stopped once I got my explanation.
Two quick points of clarification, just in case my words were misleading...

(a) It might have been more accurate to say our brains readily "perceive patterns," even if we aren't actively looking for them.

(b) Hopefully I didn't imply that OCD is the logical, inevitable or desirable outcome of this pattern-seeking behavior! Sometimes it is important and necessary, from an evolutionary perspective.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Two quick points of clarification, just in case my words were misleading...

(a) It might have been more accurate to say our brains readily "perceive patterns," even if we aren't actively looking for them.

(b) Hopefully I didn't imply that OCD is the logical, inevitable or desirable outcome of this pattern-seeking behavior! Sometimes it is important and necessary, from an evolutionary perspective.
At the point I was at it wasn't an advantage At first it was but got outta hand quickly. I think it goes into hyper drive in some of us.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:33 AM

15,976 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Why do Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Baptists, etc come knocking on my door, uninvited, wanting to "share their faith" with me?

I always politely decline.

Because their mission is to convert you to their religion. Do atheists also have the same mission then? That explains a lot.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
If my sentence was not articulated as well as it should have been for clear understanding, then I apologize. But I already reiterated what I meant - it’s the anger over individual beliefs (in the forum) which means nothing.

Keeping religion out of our schools and government - means everything.
Yes. And out of SCOTUS decisions that are coming down the pike. If what one wants is to influence hearts and minds would it be fruitful to post here or in political forums?

Old 07-08-2022, 07:52 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because their mission is to convert you to their religion. Do atheists also have the same mission then? That explains a lot.
Trans posted a lot on atheism on CD for many years. He was quite frank and forthright that yes he saw himself as an evangelist for atheism. He absolutely admitted he actively proselytized and evangelized. And when asked why, he shared his view that people were too stupid and not able to think for themselves and they needed to be told what to think, and told what to believe. His view was that any salesman with a product to sell does whatever it takes to sell the product.

It is accurate that here on CD we see that the very behaviors many atheists claim to dislike and find objectionable (for instance evangelizing and proselytizing) they engage in the very same behaviors themselves.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-08-2022 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-08-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
‘No nonsense’ is better served in our fight to keep religion out of our public lives than being distracted by what people believe in their personal lives.
Yes. And that goal is better served in forums that focus on politics, debates, current events, history, and any number of other forums. Thus the question why here? The OP has a valid point. I also understand Atheists, being a minority, need a safe place to discuss atheism and all the ways it functions in their lives. How could discussing it in a belief forum help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality