Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 09:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He meant 'conversations'. Mods (and Site policy) controls those. If we Rule here, it is because we won that position with the much better arguments. The religious debate is long over. The task is now to sell highly unpopular atheism to a largely religious -headed populace.
your sect of atheism is just too invalid to effectually market atheism for sales. when two products openly lie about the other and/or openly market clearly false claims neither tend to do so well.

and thats when anti-religious and fundy theist turn to war. The truth must, by necessity, be the first victim in that war. if it wasn't, neither side would stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
No one should have to punch anyone to discuss "The Shroud of Turin" etc., but it's as if some posters have a fetish spamming with their opposition incessantly throughout the threads, and if all fails, claim the discussion is a threat to mankind and you are some how saving the world by having the thread closed, instead learning about what's all out there....oh! that's right because you already know it all.
You want me to talk about things I do NOT know about?

I have studied the shroud of Turin (it is still not genuine), I have studied the history of the early Christian church, I have studied astronomy, a little of biology, how the brain works, mathematics.

So when someone says something that is false, I will tell them (and anyone who is reading what I write) why they are wrong. Not 'because I know it all', but because other people may stop and think about something they had not considered. And it helps me to improve my English, which was my original reason for coming to this forum. Not some reason you gave.

As to punching out, the people who are disagreeing with you are not doing so for no reason, it is because they disagree with your opinions (which are wrong). Perhaps you should go back and read what you have posted and ask yourself are there other reasons why we post here. Because we know that better than you do.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've never reported anyone for name-calling or insulting me. Never. And I've been haunting forums for 20+ years.

Lions aren't bothered by yapping jackals.
So says the online stalker with a religious fetish.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao ... you make up anything you need at anytime you need. weather is valid or not is irreverent to you.

you are the one with with straw man arguments.

his main premises are that atheist should apply the same rigor to their statement of belief about god as theist do. And that we (atheist) should set up to the plate and offer counter claims past "youre wrong theist".
No wonder Vic and Mystic like your posts.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
oh no, you get lucky and hit some valid points along your little tirade against god. But thats more by dumb luck than anything else.
W = Fd.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:34 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You want me to talk about things I do NOT know about?

I have studied the shroud of Turin (it is still not genuine), I have studied the history of the early Christian church, I have studied astronomy, a little of biology, how the brain works, mathematics.

So when someone says something that is false, I will tell them (and anyone who is reading what I write) why they are wrong. Not 'because I know it all', but because other people may stop and think about something they had not considered. And it helps me to improve my English, which was my original reason for coming to this forum. Not some reason you gave.

As to punching out, the people who are disagreeing with you are not doing so for no reason, it is because they disagree with your opinions (which are wrong). Perhaps you should go back and read what you have posted and ask yourself are there other reasons why we post here. Because we know that better than you do.
No. I don't want anyone to talk about anything they do not want to discuss. I'd like to hear more about world religions, period. I understand some of them, if not all of them may sound wacky to some posters, but I'd like to hear about them to better understand what's all out there. You can simply rubber stamp every thread "I don't believe!" it's understood! But the belief still exists and warrant discussions.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:43 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Then a third nativity story, just for you.

Now the virginity of Mary was hidden from the Prince of this world, as was also her offspring, and the death of the Lord; three mysteries of renown, which were wrought in silence by God. How, then, was He manifested to the world? A star shone forth in heaven above all the other stars, the light of which was inexpressible, while its novelty struck men with astonishment. And all the rest of the stars, with the sun and moon, formed a chorus to this star, and its light was exceedingly great above them all. And there was agitation felt as to whence this new spectacle came, so unlike everything else above. Hence every kind of magic was destroyed, and every bond of wickedness disappeared, ignorance was removed, and the old kingdom abolished, when God appeared in human form for the renewal of eternal life.

Ignatius, Letter to the Ephesians 19
Poetic.

Coincidentally, there was a man named Ignatius at my table at a business dinner last night. Not a name you see very often these days.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
No wonder Vic and Mystic like your posts.
lmao harry. there you go again. you will do anything to avoid a direct comparison of your claim to the actual claim.

you claim vic is dishonest? I say vic gets twisted up and sucked into your avoidance and made up arguments to easily.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
W = Fd.

***yawn***

Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM

8,672 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
the problem gab is that some people can't handle comparing claims side by side to see what ones are on equal footing without using their personal emotional need as the standards. some of us cannot separate our emotions from the logic. In fact, I think some of us focus on "their rude" so that they don't face the limits of their position.

I love when people are "straight forward" and when a response is given that is straight forward they run behind the "youre mean" blanky and get a mass report surge going. It’s a clear indication that they have reacted their limit sometimes.
The problem with comparing ‘facts’ side by side - religion transcends knowledge. You and I may see the ‘facts’, but religion also has to do with emotion, tradition, family and in some cases, it’s a built in support system. Some people do not wish to debate their personal beliefs, they want to discuss them. So of course if they are constantly just being told to look at the facts - it creates an emotional response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality