Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
We know the answer. It’s obvious. But they won’t admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Third, to tell people like the OP that they and their egos don't own the world.
That rage really drives a lot of them.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:34 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That rage really drives a lot of them.
"Rage" is hyperbole, but I'm used to it with fundies.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Some who post on the religion forums were once religious, like me, so we may have a different perspective on the subjects being discussed. I was deeply involved in fundamentalist Christianity for a majority of my life. Today I'm more of a pantheist or deist.
Were you indoctrinated or did you stumble upon this? Just curious.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

You have asked it before...and more times than I care to remember and indeed, you have been given the answer more times than I can remember so it is us that are perplexed that, here you are asking it again.

The short answer to your question is that we find the fight against wilful ignorance and superstition to be a worthy cause. I'm sure that someone else will come along and give you a fuller answer but I've done that before on more than one occasion and it doesn't appear to have sunk in with you. I see no point in doing it yet again.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:33 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:

Atheists are their own religion, with their own beliefs. They are not limited to the 38,000 sects, like Christianity. Mostly they are probably disillusioned, prior "Christians", looking for a fence to set on. One day they may be a Buddhist, and the next a Taoist. Much like Simon Peter, blown in the wind, to hopefully remove the chaff. (Luke 22:31) Maybe it will turn out better for them than Simon.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"Rage" is hyperbole, but I'm used to it with fundies.
Yes. A couple of Atheist -bashers posted on here. let 'em have their fun. It does our case more good than it does ours.

As to the Q, it's answered pretty well here. But I recall some remark about the atheist experience and it being pointed out that US citizens are deluged with Christians (or Christian -using) propaganda from multiple sources. But atheists having ONE call in show is outrageous.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:21 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. A couple of Atheist -bashers posted on here. let 'em have their fun. It does our case more good than it does ours.

Yes. You may recall that quite a while back I started a thread that asked the question if some of the avid christians that post here weren't christianity's own worst enemies. There are three specific pro-christian posters here on our forum who are so offensive (from my perspective), that they alone are all the reason I need to be an atheist...not that there aren't many other reasons.

In Buddhism, one of our teachings is to avoid dealing with negative people. Unfortunately, at least for me, that means avoiding dealing with all right-wing christians...and right now, that's a huge percentage of American christians.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:24 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:

It's a convenient platform for notions no one has time for IRL. And you get to one-up random people, form cliques, etc., which in turns makes some people feel personally better/superior. Plus, it's a lot of fun for some people to armchair-blame all the worlds ills on certain populations while holding themselves above reproach.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:34 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one.
It does hold relevance. We have just had a religious terrorist attack in Strasbourg. 9/11. Creationism. In some countries, being an atheist will get you killed. The Pope and condoms in South Africa. Religious bigotry against homosexuals. People begging the question with subjects I am an expert in.

Quote:
I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.
So that is why religious people post on forums, they are uncertain of their beliefs.

Quote:
As an ex Christian, I am also interested in the history of the Christian church.

I have many reasons to post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality