Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Many Christians don't agree with what John Allen Chau did. His heart was in the right place, but a missionary still has to respect the laws and culture. It would be a like missionaries sneaking into the Philippines without a passport or building a church building without city approval. God is ultimately in control and finds a way to make things happen.
John Allen Chau simply did what Christian missionaries have been doing for centuries. John Allen Chau attempted to spread his view of reality to others. Exactly what the OP of this topic is deriding non believers for doing. Because for some reason Christians are convinced that they have an unimpeachable RIGHT to impose their view of reality on others, and that no one should be allowed to subject that view of reality to detailed examination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Were you indoctrinated or did you stumble upon this? Just curious.
It was part of my DNA growing up, lol. I was involved in church all of my life from the time I was small. Then the older I got, the more entrenched I became. Went to bible school, had a ministry house for drug addicts, street witnessed a lot. A lot of this was in the late 70s, early 80s when cults were quite prolific. I remember going into the downtowns of rather large cities, to bus stations, etc. and coming across Children of God and others. Used to lay hands on people in wheelchairs, but that didn't work out so well. Worked for a pretty well-known televangelist. Pretty interesting times, now that I look back on it.

Stayed with and in the church until the 2000s. It was a slow evolution for both DH and me. He became disillusioned before I did, but I eventually made my way out. It was a terribly painful metamorphosis.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:59 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Jeff, you didn't even make it past the first sentence, without shooting yourself in the foot.....

Quote:
The truth is (which they will never admit) is that there is a deep down resentment and bitterness against God. Maybe something in their past life made them angry at God and they started feeding seeds of doubt.
Nope. Wrong. It would be sorta foolish to hold bitterness against an imaginary construct whose very existence is in serious doubt. Just as it would be odd for you to be bitter that Santa didn't bring you what you really wanted for Xmas this year (yes, I am making assumptions there... my apologies if you are a true believer).

If I was going to be resentful and bitter, it would be against my parents and pastors, for participating in the large group indoctrination exercise we call religion. But I'm not. They believed in what they were doing, thought it was good for me, tried their best, etc. So I harbor no bitterness in any direction. Just clear eyed acceptance of what is much more likely to be reality, based on a logical assessment of the world around me.

Sorry I can't help you fan those flames........

Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
The truth is (which they will never admit) is that there is a deep down resentment and bitterness against God. Maybe something in their past life made them angry at God and they started feeding seeds of doubt. I don't think many atheists on these forums are just people who simply have a sincere disbelief due to lack of evidence which would be reversed as soon as strong evidence emerges. The fact that they almost exclusively go after Christianity is quite telling.

I believe atheists feel a sense of satisfaction at tearing down a Christian's argument or evidence. Or maybe there is a fear that they could be wrong so they have to rush and plug that hole immediately. When I watch a show like the Atheist Experience, I never get the impression that the atheist host sincerely wants to hear the Christian caller's argument and give it consideration. He wants to rip it to shreds for the amusement of his audience.

There are better things to do with your short time on this rock, ya know.
I think you don't really understand where a lot of ex-Christians come from. I actually have much less anger at "God" now than I did when I was in Christianity. Being immersed in Christianity as I was, I know just about every argument there is to make. There is no new perspective that I haven't experienced myself. I'm not bitter at God and nothing actually turned me away. I just realized it wasn't what it was advertised to be. It took years and a lot of tears and upset to finally extricate myself. I have no problem with people having their beliefs and having a relationship with their God. It's when these people think they have all the answers and are dooming those of us who don't have or no longer have these beliefs that I have a problem. Believe away. May you find peace in your experience. For me, my spirit is at greater peace than any other time in my life.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Someone has to shine light on the roach investation that has detrimental effects on the country and minds of our posterity.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:20 PM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
If you say so, but it is marketed as a religion and spirituality forum.
But it is not marketed as a pro-religion forum.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But it is not marketed as a pro-religion forum.
No, it's a part of a relocation site/forum that seemingly encourages people to share information.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Why do Christians feel that they have a moral and ethical right to impose their superstitious make believe on the entire planet, to the extent of breaking the law and going where they clearly are not wanted?

And that is exactly one of the major reasons I post here.

It's interesting that they think they have every right to proselytize, but don't believe that non-believers have a right to speak up.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that is exactly one of the major reasons I post here.

It's interesting that they think they have every right to proselytize, but don't believe that non-believers have a right to speak up.
Everyone is proselytizing and no one is listening, except for the cheap shots. I enjoy the cheap shots because their proof we never have to actually grow-up no matter the age.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
The truth is (which they will never admit) is that there is a deep down resentment and bitterness against God. Maybe something in their past life made them angry at God and they started feeding seeds of doubt. I don't think many atheists on these forums are just people who simply have a sincere disbelief due to lack of evidence which would be reversed as soon as strong evidence emerges. The fact that they almost exclusively go after Christianity is quite telling.

I believe atheists feel a sense of satisfaction at tearing down a Christian's argument or evidence. Or maybe there is a fear that they could be wrong so they have to rush and plug that hole immediately. When I watch a show like the Atheist Experience, I never get the impression that the atheist host sincerely wants to hear the Christian caller's argument and give it consideration. He wants to rip it to shreds for the amusement of his audience.

There are better things to do with your short time on this rock, ya know.
What a bizarre post.

1. We don't believe in god. So there is no resentment about god. There is resentment against people like you who seem to think that you have some national privilege that non-believers do not.

2. Resentment against god is only logical for believers who become disillusioned...and there are many.

3. We primarily "go after" x-ianity because that is the primary environment in which we live. But we also go after religions that require certain beliefs.

4. Most of us (I think) acknowledge we could be wrong. It's people like you who can't make the same statement.

5. Well, aren't there better things for you to do than post here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality