Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 12:00 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to what people say on this thread? I have a life. I asked a simple question to make people think. How does my OP attack atheism? Beyond that I don’t understand why people who claim to not be religious post on a religious forum.
And yet you have several clear, well-stated answers to the question in your thread title on the very first page. How can it be that you continue to claim not to understand?

Perhaps your focus should not have been on making other people think and instead on trying to understand.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The willful dishonesty of posters like Mr5150, jeffie, BF and other fundies, besmirches all Christians.
When it is caught and shown, it does. The fakery, sectarian bias, forced shunning/ignorance, etc. were the reason that my eyes were open and I am now motivated to help others stay away from such destructive and vain delusions. But a lot of people trust more in the confidence and self-assurance of liars (onto themselves and/or good at it by training), then in written and testable facts that can be checked upon (since they don't want to take even the few minutes for minor research).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You believe wrong. It's hilarious how little most believers know about their own holy book. You're devoting your life to a belief system laid out in a book, shouldn't you know what the book says?
The important thing to the religious is the promised immortal-happiness and power-allegiance. Really, everything else is dressing. Or "icing on the cake" I should say. Perhaps if I thought it was healthy, I would be willing to leave it at salad (although salad spoils quickly since it's healthy and delicious for bacteria as well).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-15-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Of course I know that Proverbs is not part of the Pentateuch. Do you know what the Bible states about ALL scripture?

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV

So here is another instance where you contradict your own holy book. Huh.
In my estimation, Ozzy is a very liberal Christian, they do not believe in Bibliolatry for Bibliolatry's sake like most conservative Christians (basing themselves on various canon clubs) but would rely on it when useful and convenient, depending on their own thoughts and feelings, which one would suppose they think are guided by the Holy Spirit as imagined fit. Although perhaps they do not yet know about that part of the historical Christian dogmas that happen to still be current. Doubtful though, it is very prevalent as it is emotionally convenient for self-justification or sectarian justification.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You mean like dishonestly asking a question while not responding to any of the answers? Because you actually wanted to attack atheism (but actually shot your own argument down)?
This is a common tactic/reliance of the sectarian and biased. Why blame Mr5150 for being common in this regard... I've met some non-religious people that handle their lives like the O.P. is currently handling this thread then again, why not blame them? Hypocrisy and "sinfulness" is very common as well, the religious are happy to spread blame even in biased proportion or false equivalence when convenient, so please carry on with fair assessments.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to what people say on this thread? I have a life. I asked a simple question to make people think. How does my OP attack atheism? Beyond that I don’t understand why people who claim to not be religious post on a religious forum.
If you don't understand, it's not because it hasn't been explained. Maybe people used too many words of 2+ syllables? Maybe if you read the responses slowly, and aloud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And yet you have several clear, well-stated answers to the question in your thread title on the very first page. How can it be that you continue to claim not to understand?

Perhaps your focus should not have been on making other people think and instead on trying to understand.
He's had it explained many times before. He pulls this schtick regularly and then runs away. Not exactly a poster boy for Christianity.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
If you don't understand, it's not because it hasn't been explained. Maybe people used too many words of 2+ syllables? Maybe if you read the responses slowly, and aloud...
No need to bring in sarcasm and personal poking, it will just derail the thread
Quote:

He's had it explained many times before. He pulls this schtick regularly and then runs away. Not exactly a poster boy for Christianity.
Then we are feeding the troll at this point (when addressing the O.P.).

Old 12-15-2018, 12:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:

And yet here we are at post 166. Could it be that I sparked a discussion.
Imagine that! Am I useless or what!

I still think it’s stupid for the non spiritual to post on this forum. They have nothing positive to contribute

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-15-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
If you can't dedicate enough time to the forum to participate in a thread you yourself started, then my suggestion that you don't participate at all.

And why not drop the hyperbole. I'm pretty active in the forum, and I hardly "spend all of my waking hours" on the forum.

No, you're clearly taking a position, as opposed to posing questions to get people to think. We're thinking very nicely in multiple discussions.

Many people have many interests that are not part of their jobs. Religion affects everyone in this country, whether they themselves are religious or not. And in fact, religion in America sometimes affects the non-religious most of all.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:45 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't consider the Bible to be the holy book that you think. A lot of it is pure crap. I toss out that verse because it's either mistranslated, misinterpreted, maliciously inserted, or who knows what. I don't even care about that verse, and if any "religious" person tries to force it on me I would walk away. If that one verse stands in your way of appreciating a collection of ancient literature, or causes you to not believe in the divine, then I feel REALLY sorry for you.
I don't "not believe in the divine", I just don't believe that some things others believe are divine truly are. Such as the Bible.

But I am curious, if a lot of the Bible is pure crap, why do you think that is? Is God not powerful enough to prevent His message being confused by those adding pure crap to it? Or is He powerful enough, but doesn't care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality