Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I am talking about tbe "mojo" of Religion, overall...relative to the mojo of Atheism.
Try this test: Ask Atheists to give up large percentages of their income to promote Atheism...see how you make out with that.
Or, to reeeeeeeally prove the power of Religious Belief over NonBelief...ask Atheists to DIE in the name and honor of Atheism. That reveals the REAL FACTS as to the power of Religious Belief as compared to NonBelief as respects the ability to "move" people.

It has been said, "The proof of the pudding is the eating".
And such is the "eating" when it comes to Theism, and specifically Religion. And what a "feast" it is!!
I submit...there is NOTHING that has EVER influenced mankind, for good or bad, to a greater degree than Religion.
Anyone can get on this board and spout all the "not empirically proven", "epic fail", "that's a logical fallacy", "you are deluded", "it's nothing but a bunch of fairy tales", and all the other spew they want...but when all the smoke clears...NOTHING has more "mojo" than Religion. NOTHING!!!!!!!
It's like a suitcase full of $100 bills. It may just be a lot of "paper and ink" that "represents" value...but as long as the majority of the world accepts it as having that value...you're rich!!.
Atheism OTOH...is like the same suitcase full of paper covered with ink...but NOT currency. It's notes that are very lightly recognized as having any "value". So it's really, in effect, just about worthless. Well, except for getting its adherents labeled, "The Most Hated, and the Least Trusted or Respected"...it has been VERY good at doing that!!
Valid points - and this is why the atheists who choose to mock or constantly point out ‘faults’ based on facts will never accomplish anything except boost their own superiority complex. There is so much emotion, history, tradition, value, etc. embedded in Christian beliefs, it transcends ‘logic’ - and they have a right to believe or feel as they wish in their private lives, anyway. Atheism could be a lot more ‘accepted’ (and gain traction) if the goal was to educate and keep religion out of schools, government, etc. rather than threatening people’s level of intelligence with insults or their right to believe what they choose. Priorities.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-19-2019 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Valid points - and this is why the atheists who choose to mock or constantly point out ‘faults’ based on facts will never accomplish anything except boost their own superiority complex. There is so much emotion, history, tradition, value, etc. embedded in Christian beliefs, it transcends ‘logic’ - and they have a right to believe or feel as they wish in their private lives, anyway. Atheism could be a lot more ‘accepted’ (and gain traction) if the goal was to educate and keep religion out of schools, government, etc. rather than threatening people’s level of intelligence with insults or their right to believe what they choose. Priorities.
Have you seen this:

https://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_b..._0?language=en

We still need the no nonsense atheists for those of us partly out. I listened to a few of them and they really knocked some sense into me when I was still using emotional reasoning.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Have you seen this:

https://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_b..._0?language=en

We still need the no nonsense atheists for those of us partly out. I listened to a few of them and they really knocked some sense into me when I was still using emotional reasoning.
‘No nonsense’ is better served in our fight to keep religion out of our public lives than being distracted by what people believe in their personal lives.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
‘No nonsense’ is better served in our fight to keep religion out of our public lives than being distracted by what people believe in their personal lives.
I mean no nonsense as just lay it out like it is and take it or leave it. No smoochy smoochy...just here are the facts. I'm an adult and I'd like to be given the information without the song and dance.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
There is no more ardent anti-smoker than a former cigarette addict.
There is no more passionate counselor for sobriety than a reformed drunk.

And there is no one more motivated to point out the sad deception of putting one's faith in bronze age myths than a former believer.
Well said, Boss

I think you have accurately and succinctly described the psychology at play.

On the other side of the coin, I would add: There is no one more defensive and more willing to come up with excuses to justify their behavior... than a current addict, a current alcoholic, or a current believer.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I mean no nonsense as just lay it out like it is and take it or leave it. No smoochy smoochy...just here are the facts. I'm an adult and I'd like to be given the information without the song and dance.
Sure - I get that. Discussing a topic is, of course, one thing; but degrading people, speaking down to them, etc. - not only does it not accomplish anything, it actually sets (what should be) our true cause back a few steps. How can we accomplish anything if we are seen as ‘lunatics’ who want to ‘save’ people from their religion (the irony) by insulting and mocking? Or pointing out OBVIOUS ‘facts’ and gloating about it? Our energy should be focused on the big picture, not coercing individual beliefs on a forum.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Sure - I get that. Discussing a topic is, of course, one thing; but degrading people, speaking down to them, etc. - not only does it not accomplish anything, it actually sets (what should be) our true cause back a few steps. How can we accomplish anything if we are seen as ‘lunatics’ who want to ‘save’ people from their religion (the irony) by insulting and mocking? Or pointing out OBVIOUS ‘facts’ and gloating about it? Our energy should be focused on the big picture, not coercing individual beliefs on a forum.
I agree but that's how some people communicate. There is plenty being done in the name of religion to be angry about so I don't blame them. No matter how much butt we kiss we are aholes because we are telling them something they don't want to hear.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I agree but that's how some people communicate. There is plenty being done in the name of religion to be angry about so I don't blame them. No matter how much butt we kiss we are aholes because we are telling them something they don't want to hear.
Well, don’t kiss any butts! You’re right - that’s the point! People don’t want to hear it - it’s ‘preaching’ in the reverse and it only sets us back in issues that matter i.e. religion out of our public lives.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Well, don’t kiss any butts! You’re right - that’s the point! People don’t want to hear it - it’s ‘preaching’ in the reverse and it only sets us back in issues that matter i.e. religion out of our public lives.
Only an authoritarian would go along with trying to police a person's thoughts. Authoritarians don't seem to be highly represented in the atheists crowd.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Only an authoritarian would go along with trying to police a person's thoughts. Authoritarians don't seem to be highly represented in the atheists crowd.
The issue is atheism and how some lose sight of the bigger picture, because they are are too blindsided by anger over individual beliefs in a forum which, at the end of the day, means nothing. Keeping religion out of government and the schools - means everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality