Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 05:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Message boards are fun.

And at their best, can be edu-taining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 05:22 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Message boards are fun.

Yup. We're all here to have fun.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Message boards are fun.

The letters "'fun" are the first three of the words "Fundamentalist". They have a sixth sense for even a partial spelling of the "word" and If you are not careful, you are going to summon them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup. We're all here to have fun.
You've used the letters again! Three times casts a summoning spell, and yes, then the real *** (I won't be the one to complete the summoning) will begin...

Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Yes indeed; the summoning spell..we have Fun...and then it attracts flocks of Fundies. Shooting them down is part of the fun. If only hunters and fishers knew a Spell like that.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Who's telling you this? Anyone on this forum? You claim to be middle of the road, but you get your jabs in attacking other's belief systems and then feign the faultless, victimized position.
lamo ... this is hogwash.

dude literally died, woke up, and flew away for our sins is not middle of the road material. Even suggesting that is a reasonable conclusion, based on what we know, is arrogance.

Middle of the road doesn't mean blindly meet people half way. people with less valid claims rely on "compromise" to push less valid claims through. well, when they can't bully people into submission that is.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
No one asked you to ignore it or have blind faith in it. I certainly don’t - why would I ask you to? lol
that's what it looked like.

so when I say them asking me to believe in "dude literally died, literally woke up, and literally flew away for our literally sins." is rude.

what are you asking/saying?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.

I was discussing something similar with my wife today. I said my belief was that all religious belief would eventually die out in the future and people would look back on this age in disbelief. It's as if most of the population believed in elves, unicorns, trolls, leprechauns, etc. I find this belief very interesting, never mind the fact that people use this belief in magic things to guide their actions. It's as if we were living in a modern age, but guided by stone age mythology. Very strange...

I'm fascinated by it and, though I'm an atheist myself, find it might actually be a more interesting time to live in when people still do believe in unicorns, elves, and magic gods becoming people. Imagine if a portion of the population still believed in dragons and there were fairly intelligent people who still succumbed to this belief, using their belief in the magic grand dragon to set public policy and guide their actions.

Wouldn't you want to talk to these people and maybe know why?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I was discussing something similar with my wife today. I said my belief was that all religious belief would eventually die out in the future and people would look back on this age in disbelief. It's as if most of the population believed in elves, unicorns, trolls, leprechauns, etc. I find this belief very interesting, never mind the fact that people use this belief in magic things to guide their actions. It's as if we were living in a modern age, but guided by stone age mythology. Very strange...

I'm fascinated by it and, though I'm an atheist myself, find it might actually be a more interesting time to live in when people still do believe in unicorns, elves, and magic gods becoming people. Imagine if a portion of the population still believed in dragons and there were fairly intelligent people who still succumbed to this belief, using their belief in the magic grand dragon to set public policy and guide their actions.

Wouldn't you want to talk to these people and maybe know why?
exactly ... they are data points for describing what it means to be human. we have these people, for any number of reason, believe in things that are clearly not there. they would be classified as delusional.

People believe in "planet X". some people even believe they saw it.

there are also people that see something, but its just not what they think it is. The word "Illusion" fits. Like the sun rises. That's an illusion. the difference is illusions are there. They are just different than we think they are.

so how do we tell?

for me? Apply the scientific method. when we do that, some religious claims can be worked back to tie in nicely to the standard model. so those claims may be illusions, or even correct. Others claims can't be.

so, again, how do we handle this?

claims that offer explanations, mechanism, and make repeatable predictions are more valid than those that don't. ... seems easy enough ...

until ....

we have to handle people that think its ok to change some things to keep religion from using it as a springboard? well, they are troublesome.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lamo ... this is hogwash.

dude literally died, woke up, and flew away for our sins is not middle of the road material. Even suggesting that is a reasonable conclusion, based on what we know, is arrogance.

Middle of the road doesn't mean blindly meet people half way. people with less valid claims rely on "compromise" to push less valid claims through. well, when they can't bully people into submission that is.
Have you thought about what that belief represents or means? It's got to mean something real if so many people believe it. It's the core of many people's belief systems. It's even found (in varying forms) in other ancient religions of the time.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Have you thought about what that belief represents or means? It's got to mean something real if so many people believe it. It's the core of many people's belief systems. It's even found (in varying forms) in other ancient religions of the time.
Of course rebirth is found in ancient belief systems.

We don't want to die. So let's believe/hope/wish life goes on.

It's natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality