Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
See?! More insults and bashing of the very subject of the forum.
This is the "Religion and Spirituality" (formerly Religion and Philosophy) Forum on the City-Data website. This would indicate that it would make sense and be reasonable to discuss Religions and the doctrine thereof on this board...and discussing the tenets of a theology on a board titled "Religion and Spirituality" would figure.
Of course there will be some that hold a differing view or dissent...but to have this board be 3/4 bashing and mocking the subject of the board seems very strange to me. You would be hard pressed to find a board for any subject that the majority of the posts were people slamming the subject, those who embrace the subject in some way, and cheering any downturn in the subject they can find.
Most of the posts to a board about Football are not about concussions and the waste of time, money, and pollution caused going to see the games...with most of the posts insulting the game and people that play it or like it...likewise with Automobiles, or any other subject.
OTOH, I actually like that kind of exchange...I have noted that many times. I see it like entertainment or a sport. Like Boxing...people are punching each other, with the goal to actually knock the other person unconscious...but it is not viewed by the participants or spectators as pure violence, but as a sporting contest. For someone to note only that aspect of it, or the few participants that have an Ivan Drago (from Rocky. Who said of a badly hurt vanquished opponent, "If he dies, he dies") mentality, is disingenuous...and not what you would expect to typically see on a Forum for Boxing.
This board is actually mostly a bash, insult, mock, and criticism of the subject of the board and the people who are into it...with veritable loathing and hated toward it openly presented.
Very strange, that is...and, the twisted side of me finds that amusing!
So you've never heard christians tell other people they're going to hell?
Because I have. And that is your "tenets of a theology". James 4:11-12 "Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"
But I guess that's okay with you. But how is what I wrote an insult or bashing. It's the truth about the judgments that many christians make.

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-14-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
You will find that Gldnrule is not 'That' kind of Christian. Indeed, I doubt that he is a Christian at all. Nevertheless, he ought to be very well aware that there Are Christians who will, if not damn us to hell, at least hint that we are sometime going to be put on some kind of Ultimate trial.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because I have. And that is your "tenets of a theology". James 4:11-12 "Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"
But I guess that's okay with you. But how is what I wrote an insult or bashing. It's the truth about the judgments that many christians make.
No one is ever going to take seriously an atheist attempting to use scripture to prove their point.

This place is kind of like visiting a zoo sometimes.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The reality of the matter, as per the base question being asked in the thread title...is that they post because they really get off on insulting and bashing Religion/God Belief.
Tens of thousands of posts, over the course of years, spending hundreds upon hundreds of precious hours of their life, mocking and insulting the Religious and Theism.
They say that, "Religion is the greatest threat to mankind", "Theism/Religious Belief is a mental illness", "people teaching Religion to children (even their own) should be brought up on child abuse charges and prosecuted", and levy every insult imaginable.
They bash the doctrine, what are considered to be sacred texts, the Deities, the Religious organizations, and the adherents.
They cheer every legal impediment to Religious symbols and decrease in theological adherence...and note any negative thing they can find relative to theology. High-Fiving and "repping" those who pile on and join in.
They seek to bash, mock, and insult Religion and God Believers...THAT is why most of them post to these kind of forums.
I hope you do not smoke with all that straw.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Again, I don't have to make a claim opposite the key premise (in the problem of evil argument). I would be making the same mistake. No, all I have to do is point out that the premise is not supported. There's no argument/evidence to substantiate "If god allows suffering, then he's malevolent, not all-loving, etc."
The premise is supported in the argument for a specific definition of god. The premise many Christians hold, that their version of their god can do even the impossible.

Now you can move the goal posts again if you wish, but then that means you must support that new position.

But if you insist on asserting the atheists must do the impossible instead of you taking the easier road (by actually providing an example), then we can only conclude you can not provide one, which is why you are evading the question, over and over and over.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The premise is supported in the argument for a specific definition of god. The premise many Christians hold, that their version of their god can do even the impossible.

Now you can move the goal posts again if you wish, but then that means you must support that new position.

But if you insist on asserting the atheists must do the impossible instead of you taking the easier road (by actually providing an example), then we can only conclude you can not provide one, which is why you are evading the question, over and over and over.
I think the whole point of Christianity is ‘faith’, not ‘proof’. You are asking Christians to measure religion as you (or I) would; but the reality is religion is not about proof. So that continued argument (in all its variations) just repeatedly goes in circles. I think your post (and many others) prove the point of this thread about some observations as to why some atheists post on a religious thread. Atheists and agnostics (myself included) repeatedly state there is no proof - yet many keep demanding it for argument’s sake. It doesn’t exist.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No one is ever going to take seriously an atheist attempting to use scripture to prove their point.
For many religious people, certainly not. They do not like uncomfortable truths.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:08 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No one is ever going to take seriously an atheist attempting to use scripture to prove their point
Good point

Old 02-15-2019, 08:20 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes...of course, I have heard that. And most of the people that have lived in the last thousand years believe in that Religious tenet.
I may not believe that...but that does not change what others think.
Being such a commonly held Religious concept...it would figure that many of the people that would be on a forum for Religion and Spirituality would embrace and discuss that.
I may disagree...but I am not gonna bash, insult, or mock them for it.
I see many on this board that come here to do exactly that...criticize those that hold those views...and I mean BASH and INSULT full bore! That is their purpose to post on this forum.
The question the thread title asks is, "Why do they post...?"
And, I am saying that it is obvious that is why: To insult, criticize, and mock the subject of forum and those that embrace it.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I think the whole point of Christianity is ‘faith’, not ‘proof’. You are asking Christians to measure religion as you (or I) would; but the reality is religion is not about proof. So that continued argument (in all its variations) just repeatedly goes in circles. I think your post (and many others) prove the point of this thread about some observations as to why some atheists post on a religious thread. Atheists and agnostics (myself included) repeatedly state there is no proof - yet many keep demanding it for argument’s sake. It doesn’t exist.
You are looking at a subset of Christianity. I am looking at the other set, those Christians who do claim to have evidence (and sometimes even proof).

You also appear to think I am trying to demonstrate to the Christians why they are wrong. This is incorrect, I am posting for others who are interested in looking at the other side of arguments.

You are also wrong on why I post here. First, I was raised Greek Orthodox, so I can read the NT in it's Koine Greek. I have also read much of what the early Christians wrote, which is good evidence to understand the history of the early Christian church. So while I am not a professional historian, I certainly know what I am talking about on this subject.

The second reason is more important. While creationists try to get their rubbish into education, while religious terrorists kill people, while fascists use religion to further their agenda, while the RCC continues to ban condoms in South Africa, while religious freedom in some countries is not allowed, while freedom in other countries is limited on religious grounds, while religious people lie about atheists, I will keep on posting here. Because I am against all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality