Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 05:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
Xian believers contend with unbelievers, it's just the flip side of that coin. Trying to save the Xians from their errors and evil ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 05:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Xian believers contend with unbelievers, it's just the flip side of that coin. Trying to save the Xians from their errors and evil ways.
it can be. There are personally types that think they are saving people because they know what's best for the rest of us. now list the different types of beliefs. like liberal, conservative, atheist, and theism. then predict how they would present the beifielf or argue against the other beliefs.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:51 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Maybe it requires a definition of terms, but I'm trying to think of how it would even look for the "scientific method" to reveal the cause of space, time, matter and energy, given that such a cause would have to transcend all these things and therefore be immaterial (non-physical).

This is, of course, why all the talk of creation ex nihilo in the first place.
Please explain? That sounds like an assumption to me. As far as what it might look like I don't know.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Please explain? That sounds like an assumption to me. As far as what it might look like I don't know.
Well in order to bring something into existence, you have to transcend (be outside of or independent of) that something. So that if space and time themselves had a cause, it would be some sort of spaceless and timeless entity. And from spacelessness comes immateriality, since matter requires space in which to exist.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Well in order to bring something into existence, you have to transcend (be outside of or independent of) that something. So that if space and time themselves had a cause, it would be some sort of spaceless and timeless entity. And from spacelessness comes immateriality, since matter requires space in which to exist.
we "create cars. we and the car are part of the same system. In fact, if we were not we couldn't create the car?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:04 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Does it also follow that there wouldn't be evidence, perhaps even proof, of that contained within the the material? That is of course, if there really was such a being.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we "create cars. we and the car are part of the same system. In fact, if we were not we couldn't create the car?
Yeah, but it's not like the car is part of you; you're still separate entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Does it also follow that there wouldn't be evidence, perhaps even proof, of that contained within the the material? That is of course, if there really was such a being.
I guess if said being left some sort of imprint in his/her/its creations? But it's not like we can really expect anything specific, in terms of what's visible. Causes which are themselves physical, sure, but not immaterial beings like gods, ghosts, or other "spirits".

Old 02-17-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not like the car is part of you; you're still separate entities.

I guess if said being left some sort of imprint in his/her/its creations? But it's not like we can really expect anything specific, in terms of what's visible. Causes which are themselves physical, sure, but not immaterial beings like gods, ghosts, or other "spirits".
yeah, that's right, I and the car are separate things in a system. But that's not even true is it? But I see your point.

so, the math says we could shoot a proton at a black whole, at the correct angle, and that single particle would reach the entries of the early universe. Could it produce a white whole?

we would probably see the effects of the thing. In some way. and if there is no possible way of seeing it there is no need to even bring it up as a possibility. we don't lay out "nothing" data and describe how it works based on that. we use only what we do know.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it can be. There are personally types that think they are saving people because they know what's best for the rest of us. now list the different types of beliefs. like liberal, conservative, atheist, and theism. then predict how they would present the beifielf or argue against the other beliefs.
I still think that all of this still misses the real deal.
The actual reason most of the Atheists that post to this "RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITY" forum do so...in the way they do, and the amount they do it...is because they get off on insulting, bashing, and mocking Religion and Theists.
The proof of this is what they post: The most insulting, condescending things possible. And the degree to which they do it: Tens of thousands of posts over the course of many years.
They have to know that any claim of doing it to "Shield Society from the Threat of Theology/Theism" is bogus...no method could have worse effectiveness-to-effort ratio.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I still think that all of this still misses the real deal.
The actual reason most of the Atheists that post to this "RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITY" forum do so...in the way they do, and the amount they do it...is because they get off on insulting, bashing, and mocking Religion and Theists.
The proof of this is what they post: The most insulting, condescending things possible. And the degree to which they do it: Tens of thousands of posts over the course of many years.
They have to know that any claim of doing it to "Shield Society from the Threat of Theology/Theism" is bogus...no method could have worse effectiveness-to-effort ratio.
I don’t believe in ‘God’; and yet, I absolutely agree with you. One glance at many of the threads is all the ‘proof’ (no pun intended) one needs to back this up.

No matter what religion a person is, we don’t belong in people’s homes - and, collectively or individually, we aren’t here to ‘save’ anyone (isn’t that a religious stance?). The exception, of course - is when it becomes a matter of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality