Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Doesn't mean it's not cool. Stars are my favorite parts of Christmas decorations.
Oh sure. Xmas stars and trees and Santa and plastic barns with the Shepherds and magi turning up at the same time (the magi rolled up over a year later, according to the story) and the messianic five pointer tethered just overhead (like it was tethered to the railings outside Herod's palace waiting to guide the Magi after they'd got directions from Herod ), it's all cool. But it's just a fairy -tale and it's not what Christmas is really about, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oh sure. Xmas stars and trees and Santa and plastic barns with the Shepherds and magi turning up at the same time (the magi rolled up over a year later, according to the story) and the messianic five pointer tethered just overhead (like it was tethered to the railings outside Herod's palace waiting to guide the Magi after they'd got directions from Herod ), it's all cool. But it's just a fairy -tale and it's not what Christmas is really about, is it?
I think that that is to years...

Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 AM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The video has nothing to do with the Bethlehem star.

It was about the view from the moon during the point of Christ's death on the cross.
What's the title of the video you posted?
What's the title of the website you posted?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's funny because Gldn's whole mission here is belittle atheists. He's said so many times and that's part of his charm. Have you missed theists trash talking atheists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m sure it happens, of course. I’m not personally defending Gldn (don’t know him); I was agreeing with the post at face value. I don’t think mocking or bashing someone for their religious beliefs (or non-belief) is emotionally mature or part of an intelligent debate (and it has a way of negating what people say before they even say it). I did not mean to imply it was one-sided - it was just in response to this particular thread.
See...here is the problem the Atheists have. Based upon "the facts", of course.
The FACT IS...this is ultimately a "Might Makes Right" world.
Few things have "might", like Religion does...it has the "Super Mojo".
Conversely...few things are as pathetically weak in that regard as Atheism...it has negligible "Mojo".
So...when they get on forums like this and say, "Atheism has won", in any way whatsoever...it just shows how tweaked-out about Religion and the Religious they are.
It would be like me saying, "I am fighting Anthony Joshua". "Calling him out" on his claim as The Champion...and telling him he is not unless he "proves" himself against me. Then claim, "I won", if he ignores me and refuses to engage me.
I mean, I *could* do that...but that would not be a sensible thing for me to do.
I think this is why the Atheists like the internet, and boards like this so much. They can "take shots" at Religion & the Religious, without really having to directly engage them.
If the goal was REALLY to "fight against the harm of Religion"...the most current "harm" is coming from the genre of Islam that ISIS is trying to establish. But you sure don't see many Atheists (barring Atheist military personnel) getting on their case!
They care about whether people take metaphorical and allegorical stories literally. Or get all mad about a bench placed by Christians in a Veteran cemetery...or a Creche placed on public property. They act all mighty, with their nose in the air and chest out...marching into court with their pro-bono lawyers. Then talk about a "win" if the court makes the Religious remove the object.
And even more indicative of serious headtrips...they come on forums like this and instigate and engage in bigtime arguments on the critique and analysis of the thoughts and deeds of entities they claimed to be nonexistent. Wow!
But I like "cray cray" stuff like that (very amusing!)...so I hope it never ends.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Conversely...few things are as pathetically weak in that regard as Atheism...it has negligible "Mojo".
So...when they get on forums like this and say, "Atheism has won", in any way whatsoever...it just shows how tweaked-out about Religion and the Religious they are.
It would be like me saying, "I am fighting Anthony Joshua". "Calling him out" on his claim as The Champion...and telling him he is not unless he "proves" himself against me. Then claim, "I won", if he ignores me and refuses to engage me.
You should be stating there is a problem with SOME atheists. Atheists, as a whole, are not the problem anymore than Christians are. It’s the views of SOME atheists in this forum, though your general point is not lost.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:58 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I mean, I *could* do that...but that would not be a sensible thing for me to do.
I think this is why the Atheists like the internet, and boards like this so much. They can "take shots" at Religion & the Religious, without really having to directly engage them.
If the goal was REALLY to "fight against the harm of Religion"...the most current "harm" is coming from the genre of Islam that ISIS is trying to establish. But you sure don't see many Atheists (barring Atheist military personnel) getting on their case!
They care about whether people take metaphorical and allegorical stories literally. Or get all mad about a bench placed by Christians in a Veteran cemetery...or a Creche placed on public property. They act all mighty, with their nose in the air and chest out...marching into court with their pro-bono lawyers. Then talk about a "win" if the court makes the Religious remove the object.
And even more indicative of serious headtrips...they come on forums like this and instigate and engage in bigtime arguments on the critique and analysis of the thoughts and deeds of entities they claimed to be nonexistent. Wow!
But I like "cray cray" stuff like that (very amusing!)...so I hope it never ends.
I think your thinking is a little hazy here.

For example, take the old hymn "Are Ye Able". Musically, it was always one of my favorites.

But let's take the first verse: "Are ye able said the Master, to be crucified with me?" What percent of christians in this country do you think would be willing to be crucified for their christian beliefs?

Second verse: "Are ye able to remember when a thief lifts up his eyes that his pardoned soul is worthy
Of a place in paradise?" Considering how heavily in favor of capital punishment right wing christians seems to be, what percent of christians actually believe that second verse?

How christian are these christians when the reality is that 20% or fewer of them go to church with any regularity?

We atheists in the United States have no power to influence ISIS or world Islam. It's foolish of you to even bring that into the discussion.

If you want to talk about head trips, I'd say it's the christians who have a huge christian-centered ego that in reality is pathetically shallow.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Plastic barns are not cool. Wooden ones are.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You should be stating there is a problem with SOME atheists. Atheists, as a whole, are not the problem anymore than Christians are. It’s the views of SOME atheists in this forum, though your general point is not lost.
Yes, of course...few things are absolute.
I am referring to the Nonreligious that post to the forum in the way I noted...which is most of the Atheists here, though not all.
I am not into any of the subforum listed Religions, never was and I am sure never will be...but I do not come on this Religion and Spirituality board and mock, bash, and insult those who are into them.
I bash bashing...insult insulting...and mock mocking...my way of addressing the subject of the threads and responses to them.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Yes, of course...few things are absolute.
I am referring to the Nonreligious that post to the forum in the way I noted...which is most of the Atheists here, though not all.
I am not into any of the subforum listed Religions, never was and I am sure never will be...but I do not come on this Religion and Spirituality board and mock, bash, and insult those who are into them.
I bash bashing...insult insulting...and mock mocking...my way of addressing the subject of the threads and responses to them.
yup. I can attest to that. They start in and when they realize we aint punks they blame us for being rude instead of them realizing they are starting with people that are, at the very least, their match.

lmao, they gang report and I would love to see the list of the back door DM's while they are talking to us.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What's the title of the video you posted?
What's the title of the website you posted?
see his response to my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality