Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I went to the video on You Tube...it doesn't even say who he is. I have no way to check his credentials. But you just swallow it.
No, you are just being ignorant. I watched this entire presentation a few years ago. The entire video is called "Star of Bethlehem". This particular clip was just part of the extras.

He explains how the dates were arrived at. ANYONE can use the same software and check it our for themselves.

The Star of Bethlehem | Exploring the evidence about the star that marked history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
ozzy, its a case of not knowing what we don't know here.

we need that source code. we need to investigate how they make computer models.

It may be true that there was a solar eclipse on the moon by the earth. we can even stretch that notion to lensing effects by the earth and the atmosphere.

take a glass, look through the side of the glass at the image behind it. use outside for a better effect. Move the glass back and forth, while looking through the side. record how the image changes from center to edges. take notice of bright and dark spots.

That dude is dangerous ozzy, stay away from him and his teachings.
The main part of his presentation is how astrological information is found in scripture. Apparently there is a lot of possible references. He seemed to be amazed by it all. Personally, I wasn't impressed with that even back when I still believed the Bible was a magical text. I just figured that those Bible writers were familiar with astrology.

I just wanted to know what an atheist would think about it.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No, you are just being ignorant. I watched this entire presentation a few years ago. The entire video is called "Star of Bethlehem". This particular clip was just part of the extras.

He explains how the dates were arrived at. ANYONE can use the same software and check it our for themselves.

The Star of Bethlehem | Exploring the evidence about the star that marked history
So what?

There are some real serious critiques about his "work". Do you just accept those critiques?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
The main part of his presentation is how astrological information is found in scripture. Apparently there is a lot of possible references. He seemed to be amazed by it all. Personally, I wasn't impressed with that even back when I still believed the Bible was a magical text. I just figured that those Bible writers were familiar with astrology.

I just wanted to know what an atheist would think about it.
yup ...

of course some astronomical stuff would be found in scripture. and some of it is even correct. they weren't stupid. I mean look at dust to man ... that was brilliant. from star stuff to man.

that has no bearing on the book just being a book to me. My dis like for religion doesn't influence me thinking that the bible made a great standardizing tool that may, or may not, be obsolete.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

The 'star of Bethlehem' is a silly story invented (or perhaps borrowed) by Matthew and makes no sense as any kind of verifiable phenomena. I despair at the multifarious efforts to 'identify what the star of Bethlehem' actually was. It was a fairy -tale.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The 'star of Bethlehem' is a silly story invented (or perhaps borrowed) by Matthew and makes no sense as any kind of verifiable phenomena. I despair at the multifarious efforts to 'identify what the star of Bethlehem' actually was. It was a fairy -tale.
Doesn't mean it's not cool. Stars are my favorite parts of Christmas decorations.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t believe in ‘God’, ...
...but you do CC. You've as much as admitted it. You just call it 'Something' just like Mystic and GldnRain call it 'Nature'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiloui View Post
I think they are trying to make the Christians look stupid and foolish.
Most Christians manage to do that without any help from us. Check out some of the videos that have been presented as 'evidence' for Yahweh. From hands formed from flamed to people recalling their 23 minute in hell to the latest plate of tosh about stars forming the shape of a lamb. We've seen enough tripe to put on a year-long comedy extravaganza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t think mocking or bashing someone for their religious beliefs (or non-belief) is emotionally mature or part of an intelligent debate .....
You don't think it side-splittingly funny that we have a member here who, despite the overwhelming and verifiable evidence to the contrary and no doubt despite being quite familiar and happily using such technology as air travel, GPS, mobile phones, internet etc, still insists that the Earth is flat?

You don't think it hilarious that someone actually believes a video from some scam-artist who claims that he went to hell for precisely 23 minutes...and puts it forward as 'evidence' that the Bible is true?

Some days I can't stop laughing!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:06 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...but you do CC. You've as much as admitted it. You just call it 'Something' just like Mystic and GldnRain call it 'Nature'.
Nah. I already answered this, but I’ll do so again. I said it was POSSIBLE. I wouldn’t believe in a ‘something’ anymore than a Christian God, because neither is provable.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The video has nothing to do with the Bethlehem star.

It was about the view from the moon during the point of Christ's death on the cross.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
It was about the view from the moon during the point of Christ's death on the cross.
Still waiting for the verifiable evidence for your Christ having lived let alone died. Lets start at the beginning shall we. First show verifiable evidence for the life and then you'll be in a position to discuss the death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality