Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 03:20 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You know that the resurrection is a sacred concept for some people. And it undoubtedly gives you great joy to refer to the resurrection, which has no impact on your life, as "dude dying...." It's a never-ending unprovoked insult, but that's what keyboards are for these days.
I don't much care if it's perceived as an insult since I hear christians make equally stupid statements about Buddhism. But I wish someone would tell Arach that there is no rule that he must use the phrase on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 03:26 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think it's a near-perfect precis for the essential element of the Christian story that rings completely false to the average (non-Christian) person.

You can dress it up in flowery language but Arach isn't one to put lipstick on a pig.
Of course it is false to the average non-Christian person. It would be false to anyone but a Christian!

That said, what may be a pig to you - is a delicious ham to someone else. There are always different perspectives; and the goal of an intelligent debate is not to dump on the opponent or declare ‘it’s a pig’ but instead, to effectively explain WHY, discuss and/or persuade - but that clearly is not what many are doing on religious threads (per the OP’s question) and why it is clear that many (not all) have no reason to post under a thread such as this one - other than to insult, mock, or ridicule anyone who has an opposing view as a way of feeling superior.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But I wish someone would tell Arach that there is no rule that he must use the phrase on a daily basis.
Exactly!

Old 02-15-2019, 03:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You know that the resurrection is a sacred concept for some people. And it undoubtedly gives you great joy to refer to the resurrection, which has no impact on your life, as "dude dying...." It's a never-ending unprovoked insult, but that's what keyboards are for these days.
You are dismissing the claim based on how you feel and not what I said.

That is major problem.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Exactly!
you are losing sight of the bigger picture there cowboy.

How it sounds to you is exactly how the claim itself sounds to me.

I find it rude, arrogant, and down right deceitful that a person would try and tell me to ignore everything we know and follow a blind faith that a dude died, rose, and flew away for our sins.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:46 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

I find it rude, arrogant, and down right deceitful that a person would try and tell me to ignore everything we know and follow a blind faith that a dude died, rose, and flew away for our sins.
That's the third time I've read that general phrase of yours in just five minutes.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:

I find it rude, arrogant, and down right deceitful that a person would try and tell me to ignore everything we know and follow a blind faith that a dude died, rose, and flew away for our sins
Who's telling you this? Anyone on this forum? You claim to be middle of the road, but you get your jabs in attacking other's belief systems and then feign the faultless, victimized position.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:

No one asked you to ignore it or have blind faith in it. I certainly don’t - why would I ask you to? lol

Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Of course it is false to the average non-Christian person. It would be false to anyone but a Christian!

That said, what may be a pig to you - is a delicious ham to someone else.

<snip>
I'm not sure that referring to the Resurrection as a delicious ham would be considered much of an improvement by most Christians, especially given the religion into which Jesus was born.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not sure that referring to the Resurrection as a delicious ham would be considered much of an improvement by most Christians, especially given the religion into which Jesus was born.
It was an analogy in re to perspective - absolutely nothing to do with the Resurrection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality