Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2022, 08:33 PM

412 posts, read 137,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It does fall on humanity. Prayer doesn't solve anything. I always disliked being told 'I'll pray for you' because it seems like an easy cop-out so no extra investment required. Someone who says I'll pray for you is really saying it just to have something to say, usually. I mean, it is difficult to say the right words to distraught, struggling people when their lives are falling apart.

It's not actually doing something worthwhile and important to help someone else though when you only say 'I'll pray for you'. What can you do to help? Offer to cook a meal and provide assistance in any physical or emotional way possible. Don't wait for them to say yes, just do it.

Just a sidenote; I appreciate the sentiment and I say thank you now whenever someone says they will pray for me. I know, I'm just an old softie. It's supposed to be words of comfort for Christians but I'll be pleasant and acknowledge them and thank them.

I imagine, like you said, that most atheists do feel like humanity should clean itself up, not sit around and wait for something supernatural to do it. Get to work people!
Alrighty! See you here same time tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 09:01 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Alrighty! See you here same time tomorrow!

I love sarcasm.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:38 PM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Unfortunately there is often no point in arguing over these things, or any logical alternative explanation.
It’s like arguing with a vegan as to why they don’t eat meat.
And that is why we post on this forum. If you argue with a vegan to try and change their mind, you are wasting your time. As my friend says, you are worshiping at the alter of SIWOTI*. You should argue your points with them so that others understand the possible problems and difficulties (especially if you are an expert), or to learn something you may be ignorant of.

* Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:21 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
It does fall on humanity. Prayer doesn't solve anything. I always disliked being told 'I'll pray for you' because it seems like an easy cop-out so no extra investment required. Someone who says I'll pray for you is really saying it just to have something to say, usually. I mean, it is difficult to say the right words to distraught, struggling people when their lives are falling apart.

It's not actually doing something worthwhile and important to help someone else though when you only say 'I'll pray for you'. What can you do to help? Offer to cook a meal and provide assistance in any physical or emotional way possible. Don't wait for them to say yes, just do it.

Just a sidenote; I appreciate the sentiment and I say thank you now whenever someone says they will pray for me. I know, I'm just an old softie. It's supposed to be words of comfort for Christians but I'll be pleasant and acknowledge them and thank them.

I imagine, like you said, that most atheists do feel like humanity should clean itself up, not sit around and wait for something supernatural to do it. Get to work people!
There is an Episcopalians on Facebook page, which posts a lot of jokes and memes, but the other day some woman posted something about "Pray for Baby H, who needs a special formula that there's a shortage of right now and the mother just has to sit and watch her baby starve..." (which sounds like bs to me in the first place), but after a lot of little prayer emojis and whatnot, somebody finally posted "instead of praying, why not tell us what this special formula is so people could help find it and get it to the mother and baby or perhaps find a way to make the formula at home?" Duh.

Easy to sit home and pray and do nothing.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:05 AM

50,813 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

I am offended when someone who knows I'm not christian (I'm Buddhist) says they will pray for me.

When I have been invited to someone's house for dinner a couple of times they have said a christian prayer at the dinner table. When they have then come to my house for dinner and I have said a Buddhist blessing, they have objected. How hypocritical can one be?

Old 07-30-2022, 09:36 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
there is an episcopalians on facebook page, which posts a lot of jokes and memes, but the other day some woman posted something about "pray for baby h, who needs a special formula that there's a shortage of right now and the mother just has to sit and watch her baby starve..." (which sounds like bs to me in the first place), but after a lot of little prayer emojis and whatnot, somebody finally posted "instead of praying, why not tell us what this special formula is so people could help find it and get it to the mother and baby or perhaps find a way to make the formula at home?" duh.

bingo!!

Old 07-30-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am offended when someone who knows I'm not christian (I'm Buddhist) says they will pray for me.

When I have been invited to someone's house for dinner a couple of times they have said a christian prayer at the dinner table. When they have then come to my house for dinner and I have said a Buddhist blessing, they have objected. How hypocritical can one be?
I still got one foot in the closet with most people about my atheism so that's why I nod and say thanks. I just don't like religious confrontations...well...not in real life anyways. With that being said, I get highly offended when someone that knows I am not religious says it or quotes scripture or something. Yeah that's a prime example of hypocriticalism (new word) all I can say is you probably need to look for new dinner mates, so do I.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is an Episcopalians on Facebook page, which posts a lot of jokes and memes, but the other day some woman posted something about "Pray for Baby H, who needs a special formula that there's a shortage of right now and the mother just has to sit and watch her baby starve..." (which sounds like bs to me in the first place), but after a lot of little prayer emojis and whatnot, somebody finally posted "instead of praying, why not tell us what this special formula is so people could help find it and get it to the mother and baby or perhaps find a way to make the formula at home?" Duh.

Yes! I was saying similar things on here a few days ago, armchair prayer warriors.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:58 PM

50,813 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I still got one foot in the closet with most people about my atheism so that's why I nod and say thanks. I just don't like religious confrontations...well...not in real life anyways. With that being said, I get highly offended when someone that knows I am not religious says it or quotes scripture or something. Yeah that's a prime example of hypocriticalism (new word) all I can say is you probably need to look for new dinner mates, so do I.
We have one of those right here on the forum who is totally insincere about it and is just being a burro.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We have one of those right here on the forum who is totally insincere about it and is just being a burro.
Best wishes resolving that problem...I will pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality