Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 06:20 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Hey everybody: atheists and religious people alike, why have these kinds of back and forth discussions? Maybe I should make a thread, except apparently there are others on this site (not in this forum) who think I start too many threads (and post too much)

I don't intend to offend anyone. And I'm certainly not saying you/we/us shouldn't have these discussions but I'm just wondering... what good does it do?

But seriously, these discussions don't change a thing. "Everybody" is in their camp and they are usually not going to change camps.

Be that as it may, I found the material in the article illogical.

There are moderates on both sides, and flamers on both sides as well. I find myself to be in the middle, which to me is being a moderate, and that's where I am most comfortable.

What is the obsession with knowing with the frickin' Truth is?? We don't know what we don't know, and there appears to be not a thing we can do about that.
In one sentence from my perspective: to remind the religionists that other people see things differently, and don't ask for respect unless you give respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 06:22 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Well, I get that but it seems a lot of posters are polarized and not really gathering perspectives. Granted, seeds are planted that may sprout later.
Who are the planters?

Old 07-28-2022, 06:46 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Well, I get that but it seems a lot of posters are polarized and not really gathering perspectives.
To an extent that just reflects the polarization in the wider world, I think.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:36 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
To an extent that just reflects the polarization in the wider world, I think.
And if forums like this can be a positive example of people with various views and experiences working together in search of truth,
then we've done something good.

I can't tell how many times I want to type something I'll regret.
So I walk away. Let it rest. And return when I can hopefully contribute.

Though not always as well as I would like.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:44 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
And if forums like this can be a positive example of people with various views and experiences working together in search of truth, then we've done something good.

I can't tell how many times I want to type something I'll regret.
So I walk away. Let it rest. And return when I can hopefully contribute.

Though not always as well as I would like.
Totally relate to this.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:58 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Hey everybody: atheists and religious people alike, why have these kinds of back and forth discussions? Maybe I should make a thread, except apparently there are others on this site (not in this forum) who think I start too many threads (and post too much)

I don't intend to offend anyone. And I'm certainly not saying you/we/us shouldn't have these discussions but I'm just wondering... what good does it do?

But seriously, these discussions don't change a thing. "Everybody" is in their camp and they are usually not going to change camps.
Not everyone is in their camp, some people are actually interested in looking at different view points. And if others do not get to hear the opposite views, they will follow the dominant view, whether it is true or not.

Quote:
Be that as it may, I found the material in the article illogical.

There are moderates on both sides, and flamers on both sides as well. I find myself to be in the middle, which to me is being a moderate, and that's where I am most comfortable.

What is the obsession with knowing with the frickin' Truth is?? We don't know what we don't know, and there appears to be not a thing we can do about that.
The obsession is human nature, and is why we have progressed as a civilization.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:25 AM

412 posts, read 138,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Not everyone is in their camp, some people are actually interested in looking at different view points. And if others do not get to hear the opposite views, they will follow the dominant view, whether it is true or not.
In what culture is this statement not considered condescending?
Whenever someone has figured things out to such an extent, they should automatically become immortal but no they just have to settle for nagging others until their death all the while stating they want to be left to their own thoughts and beliefs.

Quote:
The obsession is human nature, and is why we have progressed as a civilization.
How is ethnic cleansing an obsession with human nature? I would wager humans have managed to survive in spite of some humans obsession with self-preservation.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:41 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
In what culture is this statement not considered condescending?
How is it condescending? We have seen what happens when only one view is allowed, especially in politics and religion. How can people make informed decisions if they are not given all the information?

Quote:
Whenever someone has figured things out to such an extent, they should automatically become immortal but no they just have to settle for nagging others until their death all the while stating they want to be left to their own thoughts and beliefs.
You will need to explain what this is in reference to, as I can see no connection to my post.

Quote:
How is ethnic cleansing an obsession with human nature? I would wager humans have managed to survive in spite of some humans obsession with self-preservation.
What has ethnic cleansing to do with wanting to know what is true? Our brains evolved to want to understand the world about it, that way we can get food, keep warm, and avoid being eaten. That we have done bad things is not an argument that people want to know how the world works (until cognitive bias becomes a problem).

Old 07-29-2022, 04:45 AM

For the record, you do not have to understand the Krebs Cycle to determine your position on God beliefs.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
How is it condescending? We have seen what happens when only one view is allowed, especially in politics and religion. How can people make informed decisions if they are not given all the information?
Where are these people located that do not have access to the same information that you are privy to accessing? And what is the predominant age group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality