Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 01:49 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree with you re: ‘thin skins’ of those who are offended, as it is indicative the other person’s opinion matters to them. That said, I strongly disagree there is a promotion of ‘mature exchange’ (particularly relative to this thread) when the entire point of such appears to be proving the other guy (or some elderly religious woman) wrong, lol. That’s the epitome of immaturity.

How many times/different ways can you argue a person’s ‘faith’? It’s an argument which can’t be won; and from my perspective, it only paints us (all atheists) in a negative light. It’s akin to battling an invisible monster with a sword and then (repeatedly) declaring victory.
When I was an atheist, I could not remotely be affected (offended or otherwise) by anything any religious person said or did short of any physical harm. They were completely irrelevant to my life which is why I identify you as a true atheist! Mordant has a similar demeanor.

In my family and close relatives, we had an abundance of alcoholics who were in denial. There was little issue with it back then. Their arguments, emotional reactions, and reasoning are eerily familiar in tone and kind to many of those presented here on the forum (from both sides). I wonder just exactly what the source of denial is with them on these topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 02:21 PM

15,976 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When I was an atheist, I could not remotely be affected (offended or otherwise) by anything any religious person said or did short of any physical harm. They were completely irrelevant to my life which is why I identify you as a true atheist! Mordant has a similar demeanor.

In my family and close relatives, we had an abundance of alcoholics who were in denial. There was little issue with it back then. Their arguments, emotional reactions, and reasoning are eerily familiar in tone and kind to many of those presented here on the forum (from both sides). I wonder just exactly what the source of denial is with them on these topics.
Fear. On both sides.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Fear. On both sides.
Fear...and lack of enlightenment.
Once one understands The Oneness of All That is, and that it is, in totality, The Divine....everything makes sense, and the answer to most all the questions are revealed.
It is logical, and reasonable, and pure.
It stands.
Unencumbered by the weight of all these hustlers and their schemes.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Why do I feel the need to "defend" atheism? You've been here since 2016 so you should be aware that Christians and other religions do not like atheists.
I’m an atheist, and I manage to have a working or friendly relationship with many Christians/theists in my professional life as well as personally. I’ve never defended my atheism nor they, their religion. People need to know how to communicate in the world.

Quote:
It's worth defending don't you think? I'm pretty perplexed why you find it necessary to argue with other atheists.
That I’m an atheist doesn’t mean I’m going to agree with other atheists relative to the Forum or others’ motivation/intent i.e. we’re individuals with different experiences/careers/lives; I’m certain not all theists think alike either.

I don’t jump on bandwagons; I think for myself. From my perspective, it’s a part of being an atheist.

Quote:
Everyone I know quotes scripture, even when they know I am not a christian. That is disrespectful and offensive to me.
Quote:
I am NOT offended, what are you talking about?
Most people I know don’t even know scripture to quote it (including myself). I’d question your social circle if this is that much of an issue. Relative to this particular thread/forum, it’s nonsensical to hunt them down, so to speak, then call it offensive when you find what you were looking for.

Quote:
Good for you for being such a badass that you are on a discussion board without arguing. NOT. You're arguing with me and say you're not.
Never said I don’t debate or argue anything, lol; I simply stated I wasn’t offended by religion nor do I feel the need to defend my atheism (or my ego relative to such). Don’t agree? I don’t care - next; that’s how I see it. I certainly don’t need to resort to arguing in a thread (potentially over some elderly woman praying, lol) to prove said person is wrong or sheepishly hide on multiple accounts to do so (as many do online). How is that being a badass; rather, I see it as weakness.

That said, I do acknowledge the need to fight tooth and nail relative to (and in defense of) the law i.e. when a personal belief system/religion skews the interpretation of such (and affects others’ rights).

Old 08-01-2022, 06:07 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
I’m an atheist, and I manage to have a working or friendly relationship with many Christians/theists in my professional life as well as personally. I’ve never defended my atheism nor they, their religion. People need to know how to communicate in the world.

That I’m an atheist doesn’t mean I’m going to agree with other atheists relative to the Forum or others’ motivation/intent i.e. we’re individuals with different experiences/careers/lives; I’m certain not all theists think alike either.

I don’t jump on bandwagons; I think for myself. From my perspective, it’s a part of being an atheist.

Most people I know don’t even know scripture to quote it (including myself). I’d question your social circle if this is that much of an issue. Relative to this particular thread/forum, it’s nonsensical to hunt them down, so to speak, then call it offensive when you find what you were looking for.

Never said I don’t debate or argue anything, lol; I simply stated I wasn’t offended by religion nor do I feel the need to defend my atheism (or my ego relative to such). Don’t agree? I don’t care - next; that’s how I see it. I certainly don’t need to resort to arguing in a thread (potentially over some elderly woman praying, lol) to prove said person is wrong or sheepishly hide on multiple accounts to do so (as many do online). How is that being a badass; rather, I see it as weakness.

That said, I do acknowledge the need to fight tooth and nail relative to (and in defense of) the law i.e. when a personal belief system/religion skews the interpretation of such (and affects others’ rights).
I had a post all typed up and it disappeared. Here's the gist of it - you are intimidated by a strong woman. You just don't like me and I don't like you. Move on MCP, argue with someone else. This is verging on harassment and I can just click a button and you're gone. Or, you can stop, come down off that pedestal you've put yourself on and act like a normal, civilized human being. Then I may not make you disappear.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:58 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
I had a post all typed up and it disappeared. Here's the gist of it - you are intimidated by a strong woman. You just don't like me and I don't like you. Move on MCP, argue with someone else. This is verging on harassment and I can just click a button and you're gone. Or, you can stop, come down off that pedestal you've put yourself on and act like a normal, civilized human being. Then I may not make you disappear.
For one, I’m not intimidated by anyone; and secondly, I didn’t know (and don’t care) you are a woman. That said, it would appear as though you are attempting to harass/threaten me from your pedestal i.e. ‘one click’ and I’m gone, because you don’t like my opinion relative to the thread (or rational communication sans anger, for that matter). Hence you’ve managed to confirm my point re: those who are offended/offensive.

Incidentally, and for the record, I haven’t done anything against the guidelines; but this personal attack you’ve written certainly is. Perhaps you should follow your own advice; act like a normal civilized human being, as I certainly already have - even in the midst of your angry/dramatic nonsense.

Thanks for the heads up relative to your personal bias and intention.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:03 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
For one, I’m not intimidated by anyone; and secondly, I didn’t know (and don’t care) you are a woman. That said, it would appear as though you are attempting to harass/threaten me from your pedestal i.e. ‘one click’ and I’m gone, because you don’t like my opinion relative to the thread (or rational communication sans anger, for that matter). Hence you’ve managed to confirm my point re: those who are offended/offensive.

Incidentally, and for the record, I haven’t done anything against the guidelines; but this personal attack you’ve written certainly is. Perhaps you should follow your own advice; act like a normal civilized human being, as I certainly already have - even in the midst of your angry/dramatic nonsense.

Click.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:11 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:

Quote:

The bold is uncanny.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:36 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
A true atheist!! Thank you, Cowboy! You and mordant are a refreshing breath of fresh air in an otherwise close-minded forum (dominated by other emotional issues and ego challenges).
I also do not believe in gods, which also makes me a true atheist; and my responses are rational arguments based on what we as a civilization currently know.

Ego and emotion does not come into this, you need to address the actual arguments against the religious position instead of your usual ad hominems and straw man dismissals.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:41 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
For me too when I was young. Then some religious fundamentalists flew some planes into buildings.

Quote:
Yup, science, logic and mathematical arguments are 'emotional'. Denial appears to run deep in your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality