Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 09:06 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What is a “mainstream group”? We live lives as individuals. I am only responsible for my own acts and responses. I rarely wake up in the morning and wonder what the “mainstream group” has on its schedule today. I only know what I need to accomplish. I prefer to live mindfully, in kindness and understanding. If I accomplish that i sleep peacefully. When I fail, I try harder. Not because it is virtuous but because it makes me feel good and failing makes me feel bad.
For example...how does the mainstream Mormon church deal with the extreme Mormons of far-northern Utah, under the leadership of Warren Jeffs?

How does the Baptist Church deal with the Westboro Baptists?

When something is wrong, one can do or say something...or turn a blind eye and let the wrong continue unabated. It's a question of what is moral.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 10:04 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
For example...how does the mainstream Mormon church deal with the extreme Mormons of far-northern Utah, under the leadership of Warren Jeffs?

When something is wrong, one can do or say something...or turn a blind eye and let the wrong continue unabated. It's a question of what is moral.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".”
I have no idea why I should worry about the Mormon church or the Baptists. Are they breaking any laws?

Old 08-03-2022, 10:13 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

How do the "mainstream" Atheists deal with the Atheist CCP...and the current enslavement in concentration camps of over a million Theists?
I notice very few, if any, mention it.
Actually...I guess, based on #s...the CCP is the "Mainstream Atheists" in this world.
But the Western Atheists oft note "witch trials" from 350 years ago...or The Inquisition from the12th Century.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:20 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If all perspectives have equal weight and are relative, even when one leads to the cause of violence against and the suffering of innocent people, then such a view does not lead to dialogue or understanding. It only leads to silence.
All perspectives do NOT have equal weight however! For all of us to judge and act upon as best we can...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You tend NOT to see the parallels in the underlying thought processes and subconscious motivations of someone in psychological denial (for whatever reason, addiction or otherwise). My Training as a psychologist predisposes me to look for them when I encounter what seems to me to be irrational or emotional intransigence, projection, and misidentification of the motives of others.
I was simply noting the difference between thought process hijacked by chemical substances vs thought process that are not. That's all. There is a big difference, although recognizing how our thought process can be hijacked in such a way, either by artificial chemical substances or natural ones also demonstrates how dependent we are on how the brain works and how these chemicals affect what we think is "unmistakeable" and/or reality.

Doesn't take a psychologist to appreciate how our brain works along these lines...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
LOL He is talking about me again. Boy, he really holds a grudge. I'm not important enough to be affecting someone so profoundly. But I am winning that popularity contest! The Universalists love me, the atheists think I'm a traitor and the religious want to bash my head in. I'm nobody folks, get a grip.

Some people here take things way too seriously. Ugh, it's maddening for a sarcastic joker. OH, and I am the someone who is the alcoholic (I mentioned one time that I used to have a drinking problem. That mind of his is a steel trap of memories to use against someone if they happen to disagree with him). You know the rest of the story, you were there. Yep, I'm a pot bellied, pot-smoking alcoholic. Hey, at least I'm not doing mushrooms.
What's wrong with mushrooms?

Good luck with your sobriety. That's an even greater challenge than participating in this forum! I have a good friend who just sent me his 1,000 day of sobriety award! Tough slog that he is always very kind to say I helped him with. The only friend who didn't abandon him. Tough, but can be done! Unfortunately all too may can't...

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-03-2022 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 10:30 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All perspectives do NOT have equal weight however! For all of us to judge and act upon as best we can...
Who gets to judge what "weight" differing perspectives have...and what do they use as a basis to determine that?
Or is it completely individual, and thus, we all make our own judgments and assign "weight" based upon whatever we determine.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Hmm, interesting. What type of psychologist are you?

Come on, lol; this is akin to grade-school thinking. That you stereotype all atheists in such a way does not make it a ‘fact’. What does ‘lowest of the low’ (even) mean?

There’s a difference between taking our atheism seriously vs. foolish/angry/bizarre behavior relative to such. The thread demonstrably speaks to the latter.
I wish I had reason to disagree with you, but as represented by many a comment I post in this forum, it's very hard not to agree. This "heartburn" with some about atheists is not all that uncommon though. It's part of what divides America with respect to politics too. Too much ego and emotion. Not enough fair level-headed mature objective reasoning. AKA critical thinking.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’re correlating (lack of) psychological health i.e. excessive anger and combative behavior relative to such as a part of atheism, which is (obviously) illogical/laughable bias. Heh, how does one even measure ‘lowest of the low’? I feel as though a similar grade-school response is in order i.e. ‘you are so what am I’.
I haven't caught up with the rest of this thread, so maybe someone else will explain this too you before I'll have posted this comment, but in this case the "lowest of the low" is based on some ridiculous article referencing phantom surveys that ranked atheists down there with rapists. One survey was supposedly done with little over 100 undergraduate students, and though the stupidity of this has been explained before, it keeps getting posted as if true. Illogical and laughable is putting it mildly...

More interesting to consider is how some are critical about atheists "looking down" on religious people as if all atheists think in terms of all religious people being somehow lesser people, but these same religious people are in no way reluctant to insist atheists are viewed as the lesser people. Needless to say, the judgement along these lines depends entirely on who you ask. Just a hunch, but as that stupid article suggested, it's some religious people who might think atheists are no better than rapists. I've never known an atheist who would argue that religious people are no better than rapists, or think that way.

I'll just leave it at that to keep it civil here and as I feel I'm losing my patience again.

That playground nonsense of "I know you are but what am I" continues on adnauseam as well. Too ridiculous for words!

Old 08-03-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But would they ever fly the planes into the building without religion being one of the factors? I do not know the answer to that question.
I'm pretty sure if it were not for those 70 virgins along with the rest promised by God at the end of the line, many if not most would not have done what they did...

Not only have we religion to consider in these contexts, but why is it almost always males regardless the religion?

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-03-2022 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality