Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 10:51 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,874,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wish I had reason to disagree with you, but as represented by many a comment I post in this forum, it's very hard not to agree. This "heartburn" with some about atheists is not all that uncommon though. It's part of what divides America with respect to politics too. Too much ego and emotion. Not enough fair level-headed mature objective reasoning. AKA critical thinking.
Point being, relative to law/logical reasoning, fighting against (or refusal to accept) those who are religious is shooting ourselves in the foot, essentially threatening our right not to profess any religion or belief. Hence the point it’s not defending atheism; it’s being on the offensive, particularly relative to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 10:52 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But there is a broader question that is worth asking, whether it be religion or White supremacy, etc. How does the mainstream group react to extreme group? Do they, essentially, say, "It's not our business"...fully tolerate it? Or do they do anything to attempt to modify the situation with their extremists.
The broader question might also be whether it is the extremists who impose the ridiculous requirements on women, up to and including preventing them from being educated, or is it the mainstream? Including even the religious mainstream females?

Extremism is all too many times the "tip of the iceberg" that floats above the rest. Is supported and/or enabled by the rest one way or another...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:55 AM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure if it were not for those 70 virgins along with the rest promised by God at the end of the line, many if not most would not have done what they did...

Not only have we religion to consider in these contexts, but why always is it almost always males regardless the religion?
You have never heard of women suicide bombers? Huh.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What is a “mainstream group”? We live lives as individuals. I am only responsible for my own acts and responses. I rarely wake up in the morning and wonder what the “mainstream group” has on its schedule today. I only know what I need to accomplish. I prefer to live mindfully, in kindness and understanding. If I accomplish that i sleep peacefully. When I fail, I try harder. Not because it is virtuous but because it makes me feel good and failing makes me feel bad.
Like many, you tend to look at these issues from a micro level, but the problems occur more at the macro level...

Take the warm-hearted bake sale at the local church for example. Cakes are baked and sold for purposes of providing money to the church. Nothing wrong with that, but where does the money go? No doubt at the more macro level it goes toward doing some good, but at the more macro level it can also go toward causes one might argue are not so good. Again having nothing to do with what a person is feeling, thinking or doing at the individual level. That's the point here far as I'm concerned...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:58 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I have no idea why I should worry about the Mormon church or the Baptists. Are they breaking any laws?
I'm giving you examples.

But yes, polygamy, for example, is illegal.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
For example...how does the mainstream Mormon church deal with the extreme Mormons of far-northern Utah, under the leadership of Warren Jeffs?

How does the Baptist Church deal with the Westboro Baptists?

When something is wrong, one can do or say something...or turn a blind eye and let the wrong continue unabated. It's a question of what is moral.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".”
Or how do most churches deal with gay people or that third-rail birth control issue? Or even just birth control! Regardless what any one individual who is part of those churches may think to the contrary?

"If you are not part of the answer, you are part of the problem."

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-03-2022 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if it were not for those 70 virgins along with the rest promised by God at the end of the line, many if not most would not have done what they did...

Not only have we religion to consider in these contexts, but why always is it almost always males regardless the religion?
Wait till they get to heaven and those 70 virgins turn out to be old Catholic nuns!

Old 08-03-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I have no idea why I should worry about the Mormon church or the Baptists. Are they breaking any laws?
Perhaps not, but somewhat instrumental in helping to make them...

Old 08-03-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The broader question might also be whether it is the extremists who impose the ridiculous requirements on women, up to and including preventing them from being educated, or is it the mainstream? Including even the religious mainstream females?

Extremism is all too many times the "tip of the iceberg" that floats above the rest. Is supported and/or enabled by the rest one way or another...
That is a very good question. I imagine it is a spectrum of thought.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Who gets to judge what "weight" differing perspectives have...and what do they use as a basis to determine that?
Or is it completely individual, and thus, we all make our own judgments and assign "weight" based upon whatever we determine.
The latter, and then of course as we choose our elected representatives, we put our trust in them to judge as we hope they will. In line with our personal judgements along these lines. To enact and uphold laws in keeping with our government brokered interests, but we all know this going back to that Civics 100 class...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality