Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 11:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A good follow up as no doubt this is a complicated subject that can't be so easily distilled into any one simple explanation, but there are valid points made from both perspectives. Neither of which can be ignored or dismissed from a fair, objective and intelligent standpoint. Here again not to get into 9/11, just to say or agree with you that the better informed we can be, the better our conclusions about such things will follow.

Cheers to that!
It is standard for the Atheists to claim that most wars that have ever occurred had their basis in Religion.
Not true: https://apholt.com/2018/12/26/counti...pedia-of-wars/
Not even 7%.
And some Atheists claim that even the embrace of Religion (especially a Abrahamic Religion) and Religious Texts is a "implicit advocation and support" of terrorism, slavery, misogyny, world annihilation, and all manner of evil.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62864065-post116.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63896405-post1422.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 11:28 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
As I said, we post because of the deliberate misrepresentations ^^^^by the religious fanatics because of their hatred of uncomfortable facts that atheists bring to the discussion.

It is not our fault some of the religious can not keep their own house in order, and some of them implicitly support religious hatred.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:35 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
Quote:
To compare what happens as a result of alcoholism to these differences of opinions and beliefs is not appropriate in my opinion. Two very different issues, and these sorts of general statements tend to blur the lines between well-reasoned opinion vs opinions and beliefs based on justifications of a different sort.

This too is a generalization that doesn't really address the topic of this thread or the REAL differences between either "side." Without specifics, we're all just blowin' in the wind here...

Not only is it easy to identify who is a true atheist, certainly those who "could not be remotely affected," but more often than not their explanations for why they are atheists demonstrates a demeanor that, yes, mordant and others tend to promote better than others. I won't elaborate, because I sense a bit of that popularity contest sort of thing that sometimes goes on in this forum.

For me it's more about who seems better able to promote the truth of these matters in a mature civil manner while for the most part ignoring the others.

Pass the bottle...
LOL He is talking about me again. Boy, he really holds a grudge. I'm not important enough to be affecting someone so profoundly. But I am winning that popularity contest! The Universalists love me, the atheists think I'm a traitor and the religious want to bash my head in. I'm nobody folks, get a grip.

Some people here take things way too seriously. Ugh, it's maddening for a sarcastic joker. OH, and I am the someone who is the alcoholic (I mentioned one time that I used to have a drinking problem. That mind of his is a steel trap of memories to use against someone if they happen to disagree with him). You know the rest of the story, you were there. Yep, I'm a pot bellied, pot-smoking alcoholic. Hey, at least I'm not doing mushrooms.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As I said, we post because of the deliberate misrepresentations ^^^^by the religious fanatics because of their hatred of uncomfortable facts that atheists bring to the discussion.

It is not our fault some of the religious can not keep their own house in order, and some of them implicitly support religious hatred.
Some members of a group "supporting hatred" is something that could be said about any group whatsoever.
It is you that misrepresents Religion as exceptionally notable in that regard.
You do that based upon your hatred and bias.
The fact remains...Atheists are viewed as the lowest of the low. Because of how you all are.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

You like "facts" so much: The heaviest case of Religious persecution in this world currently...is the persecution of over a million people enslaved in concentration camps by a declared Atheist government, BECAUSE of the Religion those persecuted embrace.
The worst oppressors in the world, on this date, today...are Atheists.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:05 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My Training as a psychologist predisposes me to look for them when I encounter what seems to me to be irrational or emotional intransigence, projection, and misidentification of the motives of others.
Hmm, interesting. What type of psychologist are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The fact remains...Atheists are viewed as the lowest of the low. Because of how you all are.
Come on, lol; this is akin to grade-school thinking. That you stereotype all atheists in such a way does not make it a ‘fact’. What does ‘lowest of the low’ (even) mean?

Quote:
I just posted somewhere else about taking any of this too seriously, and the difference between those with "thin skins" and those with thicker skins...
There’s a difference between taking our atheism seriously vs. foolish/angry/bizarre behavior relative to such. The thread demonstrably speaks to the latter.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 08-02-2022 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-02-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Come on, lol; this is akin to grade-school thinking. That you stereotype all atheists in such a way does not make it a ‘fact’. What does ‘lowest of the low’ (even) mean? :-.
You are correct CC...I should have qualified my statement.
I should have noted that was how some view them...not that the view was necessarily accurate.
I noted how Atheists are viewed based upon the results of polls that have been taken and studies done.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/atheist...finds-1.734276

I note it as a counter to heavy Religious slams.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You are correct CC...I should have qualified my statement.
I should have noted that was how some view them...not that the view was necessarily accurate.
I noted how Atheists are viewed based upon the results of polls that have been taken and studies done.

I note it as a counter to heavy Religious slams.
Then it’s relative to anger or certain behavior i.e. to ascribe such to atheism, as a whole, is not only inaccurate but meaningless and biased as well; it’s particularly noteworthy if you’re a psychologist - or did I just confuse you with someone else?

Old 08-02-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Then it’s relative to anger or certain behavior i.e. to ascribe such to atheism, as a whole, is not only inaccurate but meaningless and biased as well; it’s particularly noteworthy if you’re a psychologist - or did I just confuse you with someone else?
I do believe it is inaccurate.
But it is true that they are viewed that way...for whatever reason they are.
I actually think it's a turn-off that some prominent proponents of that view (Dawkins, Hitchens, etc) are so acerbic in how they speak about Religion & the Religious...that it has caused a overall negative vibe to set up.
Most are Religious, and their loved ones too...they do not want to have insults foisted upon them and their Faith.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Atheists are viewed as the lowest of the low. Because of how you all are.
Quote:
But it is true that they are viewed that way...for whatever reason they are.
You’re correlating (lack of) psychological health i.e. excessive anger and combative behavior relative to such as a part of atheism, which is (obviously) illogical/laughable bias. Heh, how does one even measure ‘lowest of the low’? I feel as though a similar grade-school response is in order i.e. ‘you are so what am I’.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality