Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 11:59 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because the unspoken message is that you need to hear about my god.
I considered the message to be they were thinking of my mother i.e. they weren’t suggesting I pray nor were they telling me to attend church or believe in a god because they do. It was simply their way of dealing with the fact she was dying. That you or Northsouth would read into it as such (and then proceed to be offended by your own interpretation) is a result of an issue to control or dominate the narrative, from my perspective. I mean, why would I care they were praying? Would it be logical for me not to expect it, particularly among older friends of my mom - whether they knew I was an atheist or not?

I have no need/desire to cram my atheism down anyone’s throat anymore than I want religion crammed down mine. That said, there’s a huge distinction between someone mentioning it vs. the latter; a difference between being ‘offended’ (or offensive) vs. rationally discussing it as well. Not every opinion or conversation need result in a childish, angry battle; else atheism/religion is clearly not the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 12:43 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I considered the message to be they were thinking of my mother i.e. they weren’t suggesting I pray nor were they telling me to attend church or believe in a god because they do. It was simply their way of dealing with the fact she was dying. That you or Northsouth would read into it as such (and then proceed to be offended by your own interpretation) is a result of an issue to control or dominate the narrative, from my perspective. I mean, why would I care they were praying? Would it be logical for me not to expect it, particularly among older friends of my mom - whether they knew I was an atheist or not?

I have no need/desire to cram my atheism down anyone’s throat anymore than I want religion crammed down mine. That said, there’s a huge distinction between someone mentioning it vs. the latter; a difference between being ‘offended’ (or offensive) vs. rationally discussing it as well. Not every opinion or conversation need result in a childish, angry battle; else atheism/religion is clearly not the problem.
You have hit the nail on the head about the "taking offense crowd." It seems to be a particular state of mind characterized by an instant readiness to be offended. That readiness bespeaks unconscious abreactions to cumulative frustrations or irritations in their past, IMO.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:44 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I have gotten that too. Most believers just assume others are as well. That's not a problem to me.
That's a different than someone saying "they'll pray for you" over something THEY think you need to work on. If the person saying it knows that person doesn't believe in God then they are invalidating someone when they are saying it. They are trying to place themselves as the center of someone elses universe. It's a form of saying "I know what you need." It's anti social.
good explanation

Old 07-31-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

Why am I required to feel the same way you do about the issue?

Old 07-31-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Why am I required to feel the same way you do about the issue?
Because you require believers to feel the same way you do about the issue!!! Duh!!

Old 07-31-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because you require believers to feel the same way you do about the issue!!! Duh!!
No, actually I don't.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No, actually I don't.
Then what possible reason would you have for intolerance of their use of prayer?

Old 07-31-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Then what possible reason would you have for intolerance of their use of prayer?
Because they're involving me in it.

I have said this before and I will this again: If christians (or any other religious group) wants to pray and practice their religion in their own homes, or in their own church (or temples, or synagoes, etc.), and even in some sort-of-public situation (for example a church have a church picnic in a park), they are welcome to do so. They just need to NOT involve me. What do you think would happen if I had gone to the methodist church just 2 blocks from my house this morning at 11 a.m. and in the middle of the service I started preaching Buddhism out loud to the methodist congregation?

(Other than on this site which is designed for discussion) keep your religion to yourself. I don't know a single person in my life today who isn't capable of seeking out a prayer group if they want to. The churches are all over the place with their electronic signs inviting people in. Fine. You can go to church via television. Fine. You can use various digital services. Fine. But leave me out of it. I shouldn't have to be involved in any way in a religious belief system that I think is immoral.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Because they're involving me in it.

I have said this before and I will this again: If christians (or any other religious group) wants to pray and practice their religion in their own homes, or in their own church (or temples, or synagoes, etc.), and even in some sort-of-public situation (for example a church have a church picnic in a park), they are welcome to do so. They just need to NOT involve me. What do you think would happen if I had gone to the methodist church just 2 blocks from my house this morning at 11 a.m. and in the middle of the service I started preaching Buddhism out loud to the methodist congregation?

(Other than on this site which is designed for discussion) keep your religion to yourself. I don't know a single person in my life today who isn't capable of seeking out a prayer group if they want to. The churches are all over the place with their electronic signs inviting people in. Fine. You can go to church via television. Fine. You can use various digital services. Fine. But leave me out of it. I shouldn't have to be involved in any way in a religious belief system that I think is immoral.
That kind of obnoxious behavior is quite different from taking offense from their simply praying for you which is what Cowboy was talking about.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That kind of obnoxious behavior is quite different from taking offense from their simply praying for you which is what Cowboy was talking about.
I know what he's talking about. And I find it offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality