Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2022, 08:54 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
we have one of those right here on the forum who is totally insincere about it and is just being a burro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnrule View Post
best wishes resolving that problem...i will pray for you.

qed

Old 07-30-2022, 09:22 PM

50,832 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
qed
I had to look up qed. yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 09:36 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
I thought it was a medical term, I had to look it up too. Or, it could mean 'quite excellent, dude' I think that's what it really means in Latin.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I still got one foot in the closet with most people about my atheism so that's why I nod and say thanks. I just don't like religious confrontations...well...not in real life anyways. With that being said, I get highly offended when someone that knows I am not religious says it or quotes scripture or something. Yeah that's a prime example of hypocriticalism (new word) all I can say is you probably need to look for new dinner mates, so do I.
Quote:
We have one of those right here on the forum who is totally insincere about it and is just being a burro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Best wishes resolving that problem...I will pray for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
qed
Quote:
I had to look up qed. yup
Yeah...and in this case it is proof and a demonstration of...bias against, and outward animus towards, typical Religious/Spiritual ways and common (near Universal) customs.
I understand opposing views (have at it)...but what would one expect to find on a forum titled Religion & Spirituality?
If there was any place that Religious/Spiritual ways and typical customs would be prevalent...wouldn't it be on a forum about Religion & Spirituality?
I submit...only a "burro" would ever consider it misplaced in such a setting.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:22 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah...and in this case it is proof and a demonstration of...bias against, and outward animus towards, typical Religious/Spiritual ways and common (near Universal) customs.
I understand opposing views (have at it)...but what would one expect to find on a forum titled Religion & Spirituality?
If there was any place that Religious/Spiritual ways and typical customs would be prevalent...wouldn't it be on a forum about Religion & Spirituality?
I submit...only a "burro" would ever consider it misplaced in such a setting.
Oh good, I'm so happy the burro comment didn't go over your head.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Oh good, I'm so happy the burro comment didn't go over your head.
Something wrong with donkeys? Didn't Jesus ride into Jerusalem on a donkey?

We should pray for him.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:24 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
I am offended when someone who knows I'm not christian (I'm Buddhist) says they will pray for me.

When I have been invited to someone's house for dinner a couple of times they have said a christian prayer at the dinner table. When they have then come to my house for dinner and I have said a Buddhist blessing, they have objected. How hypocritical can one be?
If I as a Christian were to " pray " for you, it would be out genuine concern, and even love for you as a fellow human. I may not know anything about you, and make all the wrong assumptions, pray for things you really don't care about ( because I don't know you), but my INTENTIONS would be positive.

You may even wonder why someone is bringing in a god you don't believe in, into the conversation.

You may think there is nothing to pray about. That your just fine and dandy.

My pray may not make sense to you. But the intentions are good.

In fact when someone I don't know says I'll pray for you, they might as well say, I care about you, I'll be thinking about you.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If I as a Christian were to " pray " for you, it would be out genuine concern, and even love for you as a fellow human. I may not know anything about you, and make all the wrong assumptions, pray for things you really don't care about ( because I don't know you), but my INTENTIONS would be positive.

You may even wonder why someone is bringing in a god you don't believe in, into the conversation.

You may think there is nothing to pray about. That your just fine and dandy.

My pray may not make sense to you. But the intentions are good.

In fact when someone I don't know says I'll pray for you, they might as well say, I care about you, I'll be thinking about you.
I am talking about people who know what my basic belief system is and force their belief system on me through prayer. It's not really any different than when my crazy Aunt Millie (and I mean that literally) would walk down Main Street sprinkling holy water or, when she was really out of normality, would walk up to stunned people and put ashes on their forehead with the sign of the cross.

You seem like a reasonable person, but when you know someone doesn't believe what you believe, to force that belief on them it's simply wrong. Intent is important, but so is staying in your own lane, as the saying goes.

If "they might as well say, I care about you, I'll be thinking about you", then let them say, "I care about you, I'll be thinking about you". What I usually say -- as example with my next door neighbor who has terminal cancer now -- "my thoughts are with you".

Old 07-31-2022, 07:43 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
I am talking about people who know what my basic belief system is and force their belief system on me through prayer. It's not really any different than when my crazy Aunt Millie (and I mean that literally) would walk down Main Street sprinkling holy water or, when she was really out of normality, would walk up to stunned people and put ashes on their forehead with the sign of the cross.

You seem like a reasonable person, but when you know someone doesn't believe what you believe, to force that belief on them it's simply wrong. Intent is important, but so is staying in your own lane, as the saying goes.

If "they might as well say, I care about you, I'll be thinking about you", then let them say, "I care about you, I'll be thinking about you". What I usually say -- as example with my next door neighbor who has terminal cancer now -- "my thoughts are with you".
Now I understand.

I would never want to steal someones source of joy.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:59 AM

412 posts, read 138,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Now I understand.

I would never want to steal someones source of joy.
Neither would I but there needs to be room for everyone to experience the same level of joy. Do you remember the childhood rhyme about stepping on a crack and breaking your mother's back? Sometimes people place so many cracks in the sidewalk that it's inevitable that someone will step on a crack even when they are trying to actively tiptoe around the pitfalls. IMO, we need more tolerance for non-violent differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality