Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2022, 04:54 AM

15,863 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Where are these people located that do not have access to the same information that you are privy to accessing? And what is the predominant age group?
Raises hand. I am located in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 05:07 AM

412 posts, read 138,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Raises hand. I am located in Minnesota.
Was your limited communication with the mainstream due to your culture? Growing up, I had neighbors that were socially isolated in plain sight, and frequently their social isolation was for religious reasoning.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:59 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I believe it is for a variety of reasons. The vocabulary of these individual are indicators of their intent in participating in this forum.

Some may participate because of their disdain towards religious people and/or religious views.

Others may do so to feel smarter than others.

Others do not like differing views so they want to show to others how wrong they are.

Some are legitimately inquiring about others views.

Again, you see the intent by the way the express themselves. Some are condescending, some are rude, some love to put down others views, and others love to be nags.

Some of them claim to be curious but their posts show otherwise. They think people do not notice their ulterior motives.

However, again, some are very honest and open minded.

In my case, I do love to learn about philosophy. To me religious/theological views are not different than different philosophical views in life. So I read about religion no differently than reading about Hume, Locke, or other philosophers just as I may read about what Moses wrote or Jesus said.
Posts #1 and #3 of the thread. Seems a large part of the answer came in #3.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:10 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Posts #1 and #3 of the thread. Seems a large part of the answer came in #3.
It was spot-on.
Though...the, "Some are legitimately inquiring about others views", component of the group are very few, if any.
Many front with that...but as elamigo noted...their actual intent is revealed by how they express themselves.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:13 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Exists in many other threads too, something I've experienced quite recently.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Was your limited communication with the mainstream due to your culture? Growing up, I had neighbors that were socially isolated in plain sight, and frequently their social isolation was for religious reasoning.
Religious fundamentalist growing up. Anything that doesn't come directly from them is "worldly". They completely stunted my critical thinking abilities. I don't know what grade I'd get now but 7 years ago I ran on pure emotional reasoning. Watching atheists debate modeled good critical thinking skills to me.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:30 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Where are these people located that do not have access to the same information that you are privy to accessing? And what is the predominant age group?
Every where and all ages. People are fed limited, and sometimes false information all the time. From creationism to propaganda to climate change.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:35 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Exists in many other threads too, something I've experienced quite recently.
If that was aimed at atheists, consider it friendly fire.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:48 AM

412 posts, read 138,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Every where and all ages. People are fed limited, and sometimes false information all the time. From creationism to propaganda to climate change.
It would be interesting to know whether or not non-believers or more eco-friendly than the rest of society. Any links?

Old 07-29-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know whether or not non-believers or more eco-friendly than the rest of society. Any links?
I think believers tend toward thinking God will handle it. I had one believer say it was "arrogant to think God would allow man to destroy earth." No one is saying we are going to destroy earth but rather make it inhabitable for much of the sentient life that presently exists. That's not to say there are believers that also feel a sense of responsibility. To an atheist it looks more like it falls completely on humanity to solve this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality