Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2022, 10:35 AM

22,195 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Knowing that I am not as good as the people posting on the internet, I still hope for a wonder full, thought full, and celebrated awakening for people, in the cool of the day.
thank you chief for another uplifting inspiring message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 10:44 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
thank you chief for another uplifting inspiring message.
As I have gotten older I have become very accepting of righteous correction, meaning correction that helps me. And not being consumed with self-image, like in my younger years.

I'm so easy to correct, that when I had my puppy, he had to correct me. After he ate I would give him a snack that I broke in 3 pieces and tossed them to him, because he was a good catch. Once I broke the snack in half and tossed him the 2 pieces and he stood there giving me that look and then barked, because I shorted him. So, I got a third piece and threw it to him and he trotted away.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:50 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The problem occurs when the discussion opens up disagreements. One pretty much has to agree that God exists, the Bible is the word of God, Jesus died for our sins - and all the rest of it.

You're allowed to disagree on minor points that are a) insignificant and b) do not change Christianity as it is written.

Otherwise, our "right" to post here is constantly called into question. Explaining why we do not believe is just as valid of a discussion as any other.

But apparently non-believers are no longer allowed a place at the table. Maybe it's because we poke a pin in their big ol' balloon. Maybe we actually do plant seeds of doubt that believers don't wish to contend with. There are a hundred different reasons - none of which justifies being ostracized.

It is very possible for an atheist and a theist to have a civil discussion. I know because I've had them. The issue now is that believers are setting up their own rules - not the mods, mind you - but the believers themselves, with no moderation powers at all. Now we atheists aren't allowed to say anything negative about religion. At all. And believers will defend any other believer, regardless of religion or denomination, against those wolves at the door - mainly - us.

I'm pretty much sick and tired of even one single paragraph being called "a rant" by certain rude and inconsiderate posters here. Nearly everything I say, regardless of the topic, is merely handwaved away these days, which makes posting here a flagrant waste of my time. I'm sure that's what some people want in the first place - for non-believers to quit in droves so they can have the place all to themselves.

To do what, I wonder? Because as I've said elsewhere, once we're gone, people of differing religions will start on each other - etcetera ... etcetera. We atheists and non-believers have been posting in this forum since it's inception. So what's changed? We haven't.
This forum would lose its value and interest for me if atheists were driven away! I am saddened and frustrated that Arach (an atheist) was driven away by frustration over his repeatedly posting what atheists should NOT need to do here, but seem to insist on doing anyway. He was the most objective atheist posting here.

The focus in this forum SHOULD be on the issues, NOT the individual posters, although it is entirely human to react to some of the antics and approaches to discussion taken by some of the more aggressive posters here. Indeed, we need the patience of God (or Job) to restrain ourselves from reacting to some of the carping posters here.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:51 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
As I have gotten older I have become very accepting of righteous correction, meaning correction that helps me. And not being consumed with self-image, like in my younger years.

I'm so easy to correct, that when I had my puppy, he had to correct me. After he ate I would give him a snack that I broke in 3 pieces and tossed them to him, because he was a good catch. Once I broke the snack in half and tossed him the 2 pieces and he stood there giving me that look and then barked, because I shorted him. So, I got a third piece and threw it to him and he trotted away.
I appreciate your prediciment.

EVERY DANG EVENING my dog sits and stares at me, until I take her on a golf cart ride and walk.

I tread the day I'm to old or too sick to continue ( she's not yet 4 yrs old )

I can see it now. I'll be this old guy reclined in my wheel chair eating my tapioca, as my dang dog sits there staring at me.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:58 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It is a good point about knowing when to bow out of a conversation. However, I have found that when a comment becomes irrelevant or divisive is also a matter of opinion. Some people and their comments are tolerated more than others. This favoritism would be the truer cause of me walking away from a group discussion rather than the actual divisive comment, which is quite easy to deal with.
A great point. The problem -- to me -- is that some people seem to think they are (as George Bush put it) "the decider" on issues revolving around religion and spirituality.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:01 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I appreciate your prediciment.

EVERY DANG EVENING my dog sits and stares at me, until I take her on a golf cart ride and walk.

I tread the day I'm to old or too sick to continue ( she's not yet 4 yrs old )

I can see it now. I'll be this old guy reclined in my wheel chair eating my tapioca, as my dang dog sits there staring at me.
I figure the dog is there to keep you going.

My dog always acted as one watching over me.

When I was a child, every day in that summer a German Shepard that lived on the other side of the subdivision would be there waiting for me as I went on my daily travels, and walked with me everywhere. Then when I went home later in the day he would walk on home. He was an older dog, older than me at the time.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:42 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
It has occurred to me that I worked, paid the bills, took care of the property, all medical concerns etc etc... while my 4 legged beast lays around, gets taken care of, fed, nurtured, and comforted.

Then lays there and pretends to act as the "inferior" species.

Who's working for who around here!

Perhaps it's all a big deception. Dogs are really running the world.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:56 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Perhaps I'm becoming a bit more cranky now that I'm in my 60's.

But I'm sure I have much less tolerance for actions and behavior that are designed merely to destroy, irritate, or divide.

I no longer wish to engage.

( most of the time )
Yes. I am sure it has to do with age and sorting through priorities. When I am at a party (don't go to cocktail parties though), I stay away from religious conversations. And not because it is some sort of taboo but because the conversations on City-data are much more interesting. That leaves me open to conversations about pets and children.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:57 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A great point. The problem -- to me -- is that some people seem to think they are (as George Bush put it) "the decider" on issues revolving around religion and spirituality.
It's okay if people think that way because then it won't be a problem. That is until a moderator has had enough

Old 07-10-2022, 12:25 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, another religious person you spoke for DID disagree with you.

Not only to share their beliefs, but to discuss them. And I am OK with that, but when the religious post something that is bogus, I will point that out.

I originally came here to practice my English, but then people started posting about the Shroud of Turin, the date of the Nativity, posting bad science, posting irrational arguments, and especially lying about atheists, usw.

To me, it is an intellectual exercise and a break from work, that is why I post here. And too many insecure religious people want me to be quiet and give them a free pass.

If you do not like the 'loud and intrusive' noise, perhaps you should get better arguments.
Quote:
Perhaps I'm becoming a bit more cranky now that I'm in my 60's.

But I'm sure I have much less tolerance for actions and behavior that are designed merely to destroy, irritate, or divide.

I no longer wish to engage.

( most of the time )

On the other hand...that can be entertaining and/or amusing.
Like watching a rip-em-up horror movie.
It's completely over-the-top...and you know that only in very rare instances has that kind of brutality occurred in real life...so, it has that attraction. Like driving by a accident...you are drawn to look.
So...it's kind of captivating, in that way.
Some of the stuff said here...I've never heard anyone say, anywhere else...beyond Hitchens & Dawkins, and the like.
And if it was said like that in some places...they'd be in a big jam.
But they would never go there and insult & mock the Theology, the Deities, the Prophets, and those who embrace it, exactly as is done on this board...they know how they'd make out doing that there.
But they want to say it...so, they do it here, where there are no real repercussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality