Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2022, 04:11 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, to discuss religion and spirituality. Are you discussing your religion? Your spirituality?
The problem occurs when the discussion opens up disagreements. One pretty much has to agree that God exists, the Bible is the word of God, Jesus died for our sins - and all the rest of it.

You're allowed to disagree on minor points that are a) insignificant and b) do not change Christianity as it is written.

Otherwise, our "right" to post here is constantly called into question. Explaining why we do not believe is just as valid of a discussion as any other.

But apparently non-believers are no longer allowed a place at the table. Maybe it's because we poke a pin in their big ol' balloon. Maybe we actually do plant seeds of doubt that believers don't wish to contend with. There are a hundred different reasons - none of which justifies being ostracized.

It is very possible for an atheist and a theist to have a civil discussion. I know because I've had them. The issue now is that believers are setting up their own rules - not the mods, mind you - but the believers themselves, with no moderation powers at all. Now we atheists aren't allowed to say anything negative about religion. At all. And believers will defend any other believer, regardless of religion or denomination, against those wolves at the door - mainly - us.

I'm pretty much sick and tired of even one single paragraph being called "a rant" by certain rude and inconsiderate posters here. Nearly everything I say, regardless of the topic, is merely handwaved away these days, which makes posting here a flagrant waste of my time. I'm sure that's what some people want in the first place - for non-believers to quit in droves so they can have the place all to themselves.

To do what, I wonder? Because as I've said elsewhere, once we're gone, people of differing religions will start on each other - etcetera ... etcetera. We atheists and non-believers have been posting in this forum since it's inception. So what's changed? We haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 04:19 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Flying intercourse? That is testing my imagination.
The topic is not about should or should not. But why.
Are you offering your thoughts on your religion and spirituality?
Why should there even be a discussion about "why" we post here.

Why not discuss why Christians post here?

Or Hindus?

Or any other belief system?

I just find the timing to be rather ... "coincidental" considering the innumerable posts that have been made essentially telling non-believers to get lost.

And now there's a discussion about why we post here? C'mon. It's been awhile now since I fell off the turnip truck.

One has to wonder why WE are being asked to explain ourselves - but no one else is. And no one else will ever be asked, either.

Because I really don't think most people are interested in why we post here.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The problem occurs when the discussion opens up disagreements. One pretty much has to agree that God exists, the Bible is the word of God, Jesus died for our sins - and all the rest of it.

You're allowed to disagree on minor points that are a) insignificant and b) do not change Christianity as it is written.

Otherwise, our "right" to post here is constantly called into question. Explaining why we do not believe is just as valid of a discussion as any other.

But apparently non-believers are no longer allowed a place at the table. Maybe it's because we poke a pin in their big ol' balloon. Maybe we actually do plant seeds of doubt that believers don't wish to contend with. There are a hundred different reasons - none of which justifies being ostracized.

It is very possible for an atheist and a theist to have a civil discussion. I know because I've had them. The issue now is that believers are setting up their own rules - not the mods, mind you - but the believers themselves, with no moderation powers at all. Now we atheists aren't allowed to say anything negative about religion. At all. And believers will defend any other believer, regardless of religion or denomination, against those wolves at the door - mainly - us.

I'm pretty much sick and tired of even one single paragraph being called "a rant" by certain rude and inconsiderate posters here. Nearly everything I say, regardless of the topic, is merely handwaved away these days, which makes posting here a flagrant waste of my time. I'm sure that's what some people want in the first place - for non-believers to quit in droves so they can have the place all to themselves.

To do what, I wonder? Because as I've said elsewhere, once we're gone, people of differing religions will start on each other - etcetera ... etcetera. We atheists and non-believers have been posting in this forum since it's inception. So what's changed? We haven't.

The discussion opening up disagreements does not necessarily make problems occur.
In fact...disagreements (about this, or any subject) are a given.
It's how the "discussion" goes down.
The opposing views can be compared and discussed, without insulting or mocking those views, or the person for holding them.
Strangely, as you know, I actually like the fiesty, even aggressive, exchanges. I find them entertaining & amusing...the way I find horror movies entertaining or "insult comedy" amusing.
But, given the nature of this subject...few that hold Religious/Spiritual Faith & Beliefs will have that feeling about those kinda things said about their Faith, or them for holding it.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:35 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:

Or Hindus?

I just find the timing to be rather ... "coincidental" considering the innumerable posts that have been made essentially telling non-believers to get lost.

And now there's a discussion about why we post here? C'mon. It's been awhile now since I fell off the turnip truck.

One has to wonder why WE are being asked to explain ourselves - but no one else is. And no one else will ever be asked, either.

Good post...and I laughed out loud about the turnip truck!

Old 07-09-2022, 04:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:

Or Hindus?

This thread is 3 1/2 yeas old Shirina.
It was revived by the Mods.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:39 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Since we're lodging our complaints against how a free message board we voluntary come to SHOULD be run... could someone answer that phone already? Also, if Mensa could fluff my pillow and bring me a lemonade.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 07-09-2022 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Control freak

Old 07-09-2022, 04:41 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:

Or Hindus?

Well to be fair, a Buddhist here is also being told what Buddhism is and isn't by the same folks, and a whole thread has been opened up to "explain" that Buddhism is not atheistic. In truth, that last is actually a facile misrepresentation of what the Buddhist actually claimed, which is that Buddhism is at best god-optional. That some Buddhists revere (not worship) bodhisatvas (not gods), etc. That his sect at least doesn't require you to be theistic. But now we are talking about nuance and nuance is mostly lost on our interlocutors. And may dog forbid that anyone here gets to describe what their beliefs and practices mean, that is for the self-appointed hall monitors to do FOR them.

So it is not just unbelievers being singled out, though it is primarily unbelievers. And as you say they will not stop with us, they will do their best to impose their preconceptions and their will on Buddhists and others as well.

Also the primary instigators of this recent flood of invective are not, for once, Christian fundamentalists -- although the fundies are only too happy to chime in. It is a confederation of self-described Hindus and pantheists driving this clown car, more or less, with the subtext being "religion can do no wrong and is always and only a good thing and always worships a god; anything you point out that's bad is not because of religion, but because of individual people, and religion must never be spoken against or questioned." With a side helping of ad hominems about anyone with the temerity to stand up to them.

I have blocked the lot as I'm convinced they will never actually discuss anything or present any evidence for their views. They just want to shut down all dissent, by both gaslighting and attempting to suck up all the oxygen in this virtual room with a Gish Gallop of BS arguments.

So you're not wrong -- it's not substantively different from fundies attacking atheist's very presence here, it's just coming in part from less typical sources and is a little more broadly directed. I think it speaks to your prediction that they will turn on each other in the end, and not just on us.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:04 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Yes, to discuss religion and spirituality. Are you discussing your religion? Your spirituality?
Now I'm posting as a moderator. This is the last time I'm going to say this without issuing infractions.

This forum is to discuss issues related to Religion and Spirituality. The owner of the company that own this web site decided when he created the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum that this was the location o discuss Atheism and Agnosticism. He said so directly in the Sticky post he made in the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum in 2008.

There will be no further discussion as to whether Atheists and Agnostics can or should be posting in this forum. The owner of City-Data said they should. That's all there is to say about it.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-10-2022 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 07:21 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Since we're lodging our complaints against how a free message board we voluntary come to SHOULD be run... could someone answer that phone already? Also, if Mensa could fluff my pillow and bring me a lemonade.
Fresh out of lemonade. Cold beer is in the fridge.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:07 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
The problem occurs when the discussion opens up disagreements. One pretty much has to agree that God exists, the Bible is the word of God, Jesus died for our sins - and all the rest of it. You're allowed to disagree on minor points that are a) insignificant and b) do not change Christianity as it is written. Otherwise, our "right" to post here is constantly called into question. Explaining why we do not believe is just as valid of a discussion as any other. But apparently non-believers are no longer allowed a place at the table. Maybe it's because we poke a pin in their big ol' balloon. Maybe we actually do plant seeds of doubt that believers don't wish to contend with. There are a hundred different reasons - none of which justifies being ostracized. It is very possible for an atheist and a theist to have a civil discussion. I know because I've had them. The issue now is that believers are setting up their own rules - not the mods, mind you - but the believers themselves, with no moderation powers at all. Now we atheists aren't allowed to say anything negative about religion. At all. And believers will defend any other believer, regardless of religion or denomination, against those wolves at the door - mainly - us. I'm pretty much sick and tired of even one single paragraph being called "a rant" by certain rude and inconsiderate posters here. Nearly everything I say, regardless of the topic, is merely handwaved away these days, which makes posting here a flagrant waste of my time. I'm sure that's what some people want in the first place - for non-believers to quit in droves so they can have the place all to themselves. To do what, I wonder? Because as I've said elsewhere, once we're gone, people of differing religions will start on each other - etcetera ... etcetera. We atheists and non-believers have been posting in this forum since it's inception. So what's changed? We haven't.
is civil discussion possible with someone who disagrees? YES
with someone who rants? NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality