Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2022, 10:30 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
is civil discussion possible with someone who disagrees? YES
with someone who rants? NO
"Rant" is very much in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 11:50 PM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Do you feel compelled to believe? Why?
Yes, another religious person you spoke for DID disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is a religion and spiritual forum where people share their beliefs. What do you expect?
Not only to share their beliefs, but to discuss them. And I am OK with that, but when the religious post something that is bogus, I will point that out.

I originally came here to practice my English, but then people started posting about the Shroud of Turin, the date of the Nativity, posting bad science, posting irrational arguments, and especially lying about atheists, usw.

To me, it is an intellectual exercise and a break from work, that is why I post here. And too many insecure religious people want me to be quiet and give them a free pass.

If you do not like the 'loud and intrusive' noise, perhaps you should get better arguments.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:52 PM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's only the insecure ones. Some of us genuinely want to hear others' points of view. I never understood any of the atheist posts to be "grievances".

Old 07-10-2022, 08:21 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
As one who enjoys vigorous discussion and debate, I'm neither offended, nor irritated, by respectful inquiry of my opinions and beliefs.
In fact, atheists and disbelievers help me to sharpen my views more then those who agree with me.

I'm learning to approach discussions here like I would at say, a cocktail party. I may be having, or listening to a stimulating conversation, when someone jumps into the conversation with irrelevant or devisive opinions. Then I just ( politely ) walk away, and search for another discussion.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:35 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As one who enjoys vigorous discussion and debate, I'm neither offended, nor irritated, by respectful inquiry of my opinions and beliefs.
In fact, atheists and disbelievers help me to sharpen my views more then those who agree with me.

I'm learning to approach discussions here like I would at say, a cocktail party. I may be having, or listening to a stimulating conversation, when someone jumps into the conversation with irrelevant or devisive opinions. Then I just ( politely ) walk away, and search for another discussion.
Great attitude

Old 07-10-2022, 09:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

Reminds me of how I often note, if you don't know the other side of the argument as well as your own, you don't know as much about the argument as you should.

I see all this angst and questioning of atheists here as simply another way for some to degrade atheism. To ask what our thoughts have to do with religion and spirituality is too dumb a question not to realize the agenda behind asking such dumb questions. Somehow the thoughts and opinions of atheists are not as worthy, good or nice like comments about a person's faith or spirituality. It's that same superiority complex forever at work with these sorts of questions forever intended to make atheists out to be lesser people.

Very odd indeed considering all the good and nice that religious people like to pretend they are about, but under the skin who are really the nasty people wanting to bash contrary thinking and opinion? Personally, I have no problem with anyone asking any question they like, but when the questions are really just cloaks to hide the intent to belittle alternative reason and logic, it is very hard not to object. When these kinds of questions have been answered even in the most kind and civil of ways, for the same people, and yet the question is asked again and again as if never entertained. What to conclude?

One conclusion I made quite awhile ago is that some people are simply beyond good reason and logic. So far gone they don't even realize how ridiculous they continue to appear in the eyes of people who CAN have these discussions in a fair, reasonable, civil manner. I sometimes refer to the "slow maturing of man." Some people are still so immature into their later years, it's a wonder mankind makes any progress at all!

Old 07-10-2022, 09:45 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,692 times
Knowing that I am not as good as the people posting on the internet, I still hope for a wonder full, thought full, and celebrated awakening for people, in the cool of the day.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:24 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reminds me of how I often note, if you don't know the other side of the argument as well as your own, you don't know as much about the argument as you should.

I see all this angst and questioning of atheists here as simply another way for some to degrade atheism. To ask what our thoughts have to do with religion and spirituality is too dumb a question not to realize the agenda behind asking such dumb questions. Somehow the thoughts and opinions of atheists are not as worthy, good or nice like comments about a person's faith or spirituality. It's that same superiority complex forever at work with these sorts of questions forever intended to make atheists out to be lesser people.

Very odd indeed considering all the good and nice that religious people like to pretend they are about, but under the skin who are really the nasty people wanting to bash contrary thinking and opinion? Personally, I have no problem with anyone asking any question they like, but when the questions are really just cloaks to hide the intent to belittle alternative reason and logic, it is very hard not to object. When these kinds of questions have been answered even in the most kind and civil of ways, for the same people, and yet the question is asked again and again as if never entertained. What to conclude?

One conclusion I made quite awhile ago is that some people are simply beyond good reason and logic. So far gone they don't even realize how ridiculous they continue to appear in the eyes of people who CAN have these discussions in a fair, reasonable, civil manner. I sometimes refer to the "slow maturing of man." Some people are still so immature into their later years, it's a wonder mankind makes any progress at all!
It is an entertaining thing to watch you NOT see yourself in the bold above when presented with the most thoroughly elucidated and supported theistic Synthesis for a mass audience presented anywhere.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:25 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
It is a good point about knowing when to bow out of a conversation. However, I have found that when a comment becomes irrelevant or divisive is also a matter of opinion. Some people and their comments are tolerated more than others. This favoritism would be the truer cause of me walking away from a group discussion rather than the actual divisive comment, which is quite easy to deal with.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:32 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It is a good point about knowing when to bow out of a conversation. However, I have found that when a comment becomes irrelevant or divisive is also a matter of opinion. Some people and their comments are tolerated more than others. This favoritism would be the truer cause of me walking away from a group discussion rather than the actual divisive comment, which is quite easy to deal with.
Perhaps I'm becoming a bit more cranky now that I'm in my 60's.

But I'm sure I have much less tolerance for actions and behavior that are designed merely to destroy, irritate, or divide.

I no longer wish to engage.

( most of the time )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality