Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 08:56 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I've been a little baffled and befuddled lately myself by the a playground favorite saying "I know you are, but what am I?" mentality. Egads, you'd think I'd been gone for 15 years the way the weird has come out of the woodwork. LOL to the Civil War thing.
Ha! I've made note of that playground favorite here before too, and it stands to reason when trying to reason with immature illogical and unreasonable people and their arguments. Strawman and circular arguments to boot. Truly an amazing dynamic to witness and then ignore as I generally try to do. Ugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 09:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ha! I've made note of that playground favorite here before too, and it stands to reason when trying to reason with immature illogical and unreasonable people and their arguments. Strawman and circular arguments to boot. Truly an amazing dynamic to witness and then ignore as I generally try to do. Ugh...
You Anti-Religionists are the "immature, illogical, and unreasonable people".
You have no arguments to speak of...just puerile insults, mocking, and derisive diatribes busting on the 4 out of 5 people in this world that embrace some Religious Belief/Faith, and the Beliefs themselves.
And that is why you're viewed as the lowest of the low...you all are just too clueless to get hip to it:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-we-distrust/

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/atheist...finds-1.734276

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...new-study.html

Old 07-27-2022, 10:52 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ignoring is what I'm doing too right now. I mean right this minute with the above post. LOL that's funny that we made the same reference but how true it is. Everything has already been said and argued about ad nauseum but I'm still here, shaking my head and trying to set things straight as far who is misunderstanding atheism but sometimes it's hopeless.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:48 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Hey everybody: atheists and religious people alike, why have these kinds of back and forth discussions? Maybe I should make a thread, except apparently there are others on this site (not in this forum) who think I start too many threads (and post too much)

I don't intend to offend anyone. And I'm certainly not saying you/we/us shouldn't have these discussions but I'm just wondering... what good does it do?

But seriously, these discussions don't change a thing. "Everybody" is in their camp and they are usually not going to change camps.

Be that as it may, I found the material in the article illogical.

There are moderates on both sides, and flamers on both sides as well. I find myself to be in the middle, which to me is being a moderate, and that's where I am most comfortable.

What is the obsession with knowing with the frickin' Truth is?? We don't know what we don't know, and there appears to be not a thing we can do about that.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:01 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Hey everybody: atheists and religious people alike, why have these kinds of back and forth discussions? Maybe I should make a thread, except apparently there are others on this site (not in this forum) who think I start too many threads (and post too much)

I don't intend to offend anyone. And I'm certainly not saying you/we/us shouldn't have these discussions but I'm just wondering... what good does it do?

But seriously, these discussions don't change a thing. "Everybody" is in their camp and they are usually not going to change camps.

There are moderates on both sides, and flamers on both sides as well. I find myself to be in the middle, which to me is being a moderate, and that's where I am most comfortable.

What is the obsession with knowing with the frickin' Truth is?? We don't know what we don't know, and there appears to be not a thing we can do about that.
My view is that it is useful dialog. My objective is not to change anyone's mind. It is to provide a viewpoint for the consideration of others, mostly the lurkers (who are legion -- as a rule of thumb there are a hundred people reading a thread for each person actually interacting on it). People come to R&S, A&A and other forums in this area because they are questioning existence or meaning in some way. I was at one time in my life, and I try to post the kinds of things I would have appreciated reading and that would have been helpful during that phase of my existence.

It is, or should be, a marketplace of ideas, and I try to make a better case for my conclusions. But it is up to each person to decide for themselves what they want to do and how they want to live that decision out.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:30 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My view is that it is useful dialog. My objective is not to change anyone's mind. It is to provide a viewpoint for the consideration of others, mostly the lurkers (who are legion -- as a rule of thumb there are a hundred people reading a thread for each person actually interacting on it). People come to R&S, A&A and other forums in this area because they are questioning existence or meaning in some way. I was at one time in my life, and I try to post the kinds of things I would have appreciated reading and that would have been helpful during that phase of my existence.

It is, or should be, a marketplace of ideas, and I try to make a better case for my conclusions. But it is up to each person to decide for themselves what they want to do and how they want to live that decision out.
Well said. I agree. And have learned a thing or two as well.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:36 PM

Oh, I agree. It's just that sometimes it seems like it's not useful because some people are, shall I say, pretty strong in their statements (on both sides).

Old 07-28-2022, 05:39 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree. It's just that sometimes it seems like it's not useful because some people are, shall I say, pretty strong in their statements (on both sides).
I respect those who have firmly held beliefs , that can articulate them in a way that allows me to be open to hearing them. Not just reading what they say. But really knowing their unique view of things.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:12 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:

It's not about changing camps or getting people to agree. It's about expanding knowledge of the world by gathering perspectives.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:19 PM

Well, I get that but it seems a lot of posters are polarized and not really gathering perspectives. Granted, seeds are planted that may sprout later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality