Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 07:15 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
And it's not like they do not have a forum dedicated strictly to their point of view, yet they need an area to be indignant about diverse views.
So when we have some input that is not about atheism, we should not respond? Or respond in our sub forum?

What was that, that you was yesterday saying about free speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Some of the atheists on this forum use such extremist language, it begins to have an effect on everyone else. To me, they sound like religious extremists. Their influence is the reason for the bad form that is used so often in these discussions. The stuff they say seems so extreme and meaningless at the same time, that others can't help but begin to use extreme language also.
I agree some atheists appear to be extremists, but I’d take it beyond ‘bad form’. Not only do they sound like religious extremists in that they posture and try to ‘save’ everyone (in the same way some Christians do) - but they fail to see the irony of it. Why continually post on religious threads when, in essence, all you are doing is reverse ‘preaching’? I’m atheist, and even I’m turned away by hearing the same ‘facts’ regurgitated over and over. Zealots are found on both sides.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Zealots are found on both sides.
Sometimes zealots are needed.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Thats what we have been saying. Its all we have been saying

My problem is when the zealot will not admit that. When a zealot can't predict how a zealot will engage in a conversations about the bigger picture is a huge problem also.

The problem is not "religion", its zealot-think-types and they are in both camps.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

The problem is not "religion", its zealot-think-types and they are in both camps.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:13 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats exactly it. But we need to test that claim, Anchor that position in using personality types as describe in and psychology book. Do some personalty types respond in similar ways even when they have different beliefs.
I'm not sure what you mean. I tend to think that personality is one of the sorts of things that makes a person either a theist or atheist. At one point I thought you had said that, but maybe I am mistaken.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:23 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I tend to think that personality is one of the sorts of things that makes a person either a theist or atheist. At one point I thought you had said that, but maybe I am mistaken.
I got curious so I ran a search. I know being liberal is an indicator, I found this:

Quote:
Atheists are America’s least trusted group, and stereotypes about them abound: Atheists are non-conformist, sceptical, cynical, and joyless, rarely experiencing awe. Atheists (N = 42) were recruited from the American atheist website and compared to Christians (N = 22) and Buddhists (N = 18). Groups were highly similar in their reported well-being, empathy, and other personality scales, but differed strongly on scales assessing Spirituality and Magical Ideation, where atheists rejected the concepts of spirituality and magical beliefs. Responding to the question, “Have you ever felt wonderment or felt as if you were part of something greater than yourself?,” 71% said “yes,” citing Nature (54%), Science, (30%), Music/Art (12%), and Human cooperation (8%). Respondents explained their lack of belief as deriving from a preference for logic and rationality, suggesting an intellectual component to atheism. Findings thus support the stereotype of atheists as logical, sceptical, and non-conformist, but not as cynical and joyless.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...and_Christians

Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Zealotry in support of love, kindness, and decency has merit. Zealotry in support of hate, judgment, and condemnation does NOT!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Zealotry in support of love, kindness, and decency has merit. Zealotry in support of hate, judgment, and condemnation does NOT!
Another great post!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality