Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 06:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, they'll surely stop because of these bad attempts at reverse psychology that monotheists have been flocking to recently!

1. "Conflating Santa Clause with God only helps theists, so theists should do it and atheists shouldn't."
~//www.city-data.com/forum/53924963-post229.html

And now 2. Comparing the various given descriptions of the characteristics and personalities of the proposed "Christian God" as a conglomerate to other given and imagined Gods put forward (as generalized conglomerates as well), such as the Muslim God and the Hindu God(s) is ineffective, foolish, without a clue and actually vaguely supports theism in some mysterious and unknown way.

I'd hate to break it to ya, but I'll give you a clue, plenty of Christians don't think their Most High God is the Highest God proposed and described in Islam or Hinduism, but that such are non-existent or evil demons or misunderstands of some other kind. So I'm sure comparing the given Highest God ideas as "different" proposed "ultimate god(s)", works just fine.
I'm aware of that because I used to believe it myself in my fundamentalist past. But I still think it's strange for an atheist to look at the different *ideas* about God as different gods (plural). It's just a convoluted thing to do, and a cheap way to attack the idea of God. It doesn't make sense, therefore it will always be ineffective.

But I am glad they are doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So, perhaps you could share with us the people on this forum who have said, "Ah, because of the atheists arguments on this forum, I have seen the light. I now accept god". Go ahead...name the posters who have now taken that position.

I can tell you in all honestly, however, that your posts have made me more convinced than ever that my conversion to an atheistic viewpoint is stronger than ever. Your repeated inane posts have done more to solidify my position than any other one poster.

Thank you for your service.
Are you aware of the fact that you often sound like you are protesting just a little too much to my posts? But I'm not sure what to conclude from that.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:29 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Are you aware of the fact that you often sound like you are protesting just a little too much to my posts? But I'm not sure what to conclude from that.
Are you aware that you struggle from one tactic to another to try winning your case...and how often that includes not responding to questions asked?

Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you aware that you struggle from one tactic to another to try winning your case...and how often that includes not responding to questions asked?
Ozzy is like a nervous, insecure weather vane, twisting and spinning erratically with every passing breeze.

He has absolutely no idea what he believes. Except that he fervently hopes atheists are wrong.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:

Me too, thoroughly comparing religions is the most important thing of all, if the false religions are to be weeded out.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:39 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Thin about this and maybe retract this statement. Do you really admit that this type of ridiculous inanity influences you at all?
That's giving him credit where none is due
I doubt it, you're smarter than that
It is just another data point in the equation that makes our position stronger. Even inanity is of value.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:55 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that because I used to believe it myself in my fundamentalist past. But I still think it's strange for an atheist to look at the different *ideas* about God as different gods (plural). It's just a convoluted thing to do, and a cheap way to attack the idea of God. It doesn't make sense, therefore it will always be ineffective.
So in Chinese mythology, your god can also sneeze death lasers out of his nose while his brother, who according to you is the same god, belches poison?

Or in Greek mythology, your god has sex with a female version of himself so that he can give birth to himself, who he then eats, and he does this until one time he (as a young god) tricks himself (as the old god), and later forces himself (as the old god) to release himself (who are his brothers) who he (as the old god) had eaten before?

And that makes more sense to you than the idea that if other gods are also invented, then yours is also probably invented? Because myths beats Maths every time, right?

Quote:
So that is what they mean by ignorance is bliss.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Well some atheists/"skeptics" are convinced that religion is harmful, and so they come to forums like this to try and persuade others away from it. But others (hopefully most) are just interested in the topic.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
^ Or both which is even better again. One can be interested in the topic - because it is an interesting topic - and be concerned about how harmful religious can be - because very often it very much can be.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
^ Or both which is even better again. One can be interested in the topic - because it is an interesting topic - and be concerned about how harmful religious can be - because very often it very much can be.
The discussion is pretty much over once someone characterizes another's belief system as harmful. The only question that remains is "When are you going to abandon your beliefs?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality