Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Oh, but I do take you serious(ly). That's why I took the trouble to reply. I just don't think your argument is well supported.

You may not be discussing if your mother is real, but her status is relevant. That love you experienced comes from a known source, and I have no trouble accepting it (the emotion and its source) is real. Simply put, there is evidence for that love. Thus, that is not a good example of the many believes (beliefs) we supposedly accept as real without any evidence.

I also take you seriously enough to have watched the video all the way through, but it contributes nothing to the discussion. How do snippets of disconnected statements about dark matter, gravity and the big bang (knit together out of context) provide examples of all these things we accept as real, in the absence of evidence? I gather the closing frames are meant to deliver the take home message: "Without the big bang, we don't have evolution. Without evolution, we have divine creation. The end."

If intelligent design is where you are going with this line of reasoning, then (a) that's a very roundabout way of getting there, and (b) I was wrong to take you seriously.

Two things: First, love between two persons remains after one or both persons die. There is no evidence of love in the same sense of the evidence people demand of god. Both are intangible, never to be 'proven', only experienced.
Second, the point of the video is given in the first sentence: "Give us a free miracle and we'll explain the rest", that is the big bang, laws and matter out of nothing; it is based on a belief. Dark matter? another belief without evidence. The last line is not the point I was making. I am following a logical argument. I'll repeat it: there are many aspects of life we accept without any evidence.

Last edited by thelogo; 01-04-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps..
I don't come here that often but there are massive numbers of "childfree" who come to the parenting boards to spew out all kinds of b.s. I have no idea why they're so fascinating with talking about parenting issues. So I wonder the same thing. If i were childfree I'd be out doing all that fab stuff they claim they do, like traveling and pursuing hobbies. Not hanging around on a parenting board where people talk about potty training and how to cope with toddler tantrums.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
did you let your kids watch syfy stuff?
Don’t have any kids. I have watched some, at least when it was the sci-fi channel...😁 I do like sci if a lot, though. The good stuff makes you really rethink how you look at current life by isolating and digging into a particular aspect of it.

I don’t have a lot of interest in the ghost hunter, ancient astronaut type stuff though. I get enough of that elsewhere...

-NoCapo

Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Two things: First, love between two persons remains after one or both persons die. There is no evidence of love in the same sense of the evidence people demand of god. Both are intangible, never to be 'proven', only experienced.
Second, the point of the video is given in the first sentence: "Give us a free miracle and we'll explain the rest", that is the big bang, laws and matter out of nothing; it is based on a belief. Dark matter? another belief without evidence. The last line is not the point I was making. I am following a logical argument. I'll repeat it: there are many aspects of life we accept without any evidence.
Thanks for the clarifications. I think I see what you are saying.

For the first, I grant you that love is intangible, and doesn't leave any hard physical evidence. But I can't help coming back to the my first observation... that the SOURCE of your mother's love was tangible and real, while the source of god's love (or of god's anything, including her very existence) remains intangible and never to be proven. At that point, it becomes apples to oranges.

For the second, I'll trade you videos. I'm not asking for a "free miracle," and don't know any scientists who are. Just because we don't fully understand the origins of the universe (yet), doesn't mean that goddunit becomes the default answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzbU0bGOdc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Universe_from_Nothing

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 01-04-2019 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 06:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Don’t have any kids. I have watched some, at least when it was the sci-fi channel...😁 I do like sci if a lot, though. The good stuff makes you really rethink how you look at current life by isolating and digging into a particular aspect of it.

I don’t have a lot of interest in the ghost hunter, ancient astronaut type stuff though. I get enough of that elsewhere...

-NoCapo
i have no interest in ghost hunter, reality TV stuff, or alien type stuff either.

a blade of grass is meaningless, so meaningless, in fact, that it the most important thing in the lawn.

dandelions are beautiful. Its amazing how fast that central stalk grows after i clip it at its base to give my daughter the flower. Those cells are creating in overtime. I pluck them anyway and think of how much co2 we bag each year.

its just the way it is for me.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
For a start, your Beatles analogy is wrong. Because just having different tastes in music is not harmful.
I was responding to another poster who said, "The potential for harm exist whenever irreconcilable differences arise" and used that as their basis for saying religion is harmful. So you seem to be agreeing with me that they were wrong. My analogy served its purpose

Quote:
But, if those divisions let to one side disenfranchising the others, dividing families, dominating politics and threatening education, then it would be harmful.
"It" being the irreconcilable difference, or "it" being something else (e.g., whatever took it from just an irreconcilable difference to these situations)? That's the question.

Quote:
Religion is based on Faith; atheism on validated evidence and reason.
How are you defining "faith"? And no, I disagree that atheism is necessarily based on evidence and reason. It could just as easily be based on emotional reactions to events in one's life, the problem of evil argument, or other failures to think logically.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:43 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't come here that often but there are massive numbers of "childfree" who come to the parenting boards to spew out all kinds of b.s. I have no idea why they're so fascinating with talking about parenting issues. So I wonder the same thing. If i were childfree I'd be out doing all that fab stuff they claim they do, like traveling and pursuing hobbies. Not hanging around on a parenting board where people talk about potty training and how to cope with toddler tantrums.
What if the parents on the forum were demanding that everyone should have children or making advances to governments to get laws to force people to think and act the way that parents do or getting school children to think like parents or perhaps telling others that if they don't have kids then they are lost and that their life is worthless and unfulfilled? Would you be on the forum fighting against that, even if you didn't have children yourself?

One doesn't need to have cancer to want to find a cure for cancer.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:40 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
You really have a problem with the word 'evidence' and what it means.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:47 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do parents fly planes into buildings; or try and force their stork theories into science or education; or murder people who say they do not want to have children?

That is one of the important differences.

Another is that there may be some people who are not parents but are experts in problems children can have. Doctors are an example.

A third is that it is the religious here (though not all of them) who usually 'spew out all kinds of b.s'.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Do parents fly planes into buildings; or try and force their stork theories into science or education; or murder people who say they do not want to have children?

That is one of the important differences.

Another is that there may be some people who are not parents but are experts in problems children can have. Doctors are an example.

A third is that it is the religious here (though not all of them) who usually 'spew out all kinds of b.s'.
does parenting fly planes into buildings? no, but bad parents are responsible for far more deaths and suffering than any religion I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality